HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 7, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,276 of 3,403
Ext sounds good as well but not sure :) Kublai khan looks good.
I appreciate the input and suggestions. Would love some more…
Russ

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,277 of 3,403
I'm testing RS8 with different iems and headphones now, I compared my notes and found a drastic change in headphone pair ups
Agreed. I found IEMs with above average soundstage may become artificially large with this RS8 DAP's already expansive soundstage.

Used Noble Kublai Khan comes to mind. Price is below $2k. My favorite pairing is with RS8. It's Universal. It has great bass. Somewhat recessed mids. Great imaging.
I found the Kahn already excellent (noticably above average) soundstage, to be a tad excessive with the RS8. Same with the Jewel. Actually the resulting sound was eye popping impressive, if your into that.
I also find the Kahn to have a bit noticably leaner than average mids presentation, rather than recessed.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #1,278 of 3,403
On another note, I find this DAP to finally have a soundstage where image placement and holography is evenly distributed throughout, instead of like other DAPs which are having some partially flat image, with sparse holography, and whole image placed either forward or laid back.

This DAP "displays" what sounds like a "perfect" or "proper" image in all parameters with proper holography that can easily trounce even most good desktop setups (excluding best). I was literally surprised at the effortless clear "natural" sound without any artificial tonality signature detected (compared to my impressions with N8ii & ibasso offerings).

The only negative I could pinpoint, is..... no-thing.
Nothing with the sound. I haven't heard a DAP this perfect, ever.
To me, it trumps the units I tried ( LP6, N8ii, 300max& dx320 ) in utter quality of sound.
Maybe a stronger output would be nice, but it has enough. Four separate outputs is quite impressive.

Other than that, this thing is an object of utter beauty, the volume and music progress animations seem space age, and you WILL literally call this thing "my precious". You will fall in love with this Dap regardless. The sonic performance looks to have set a new standard for a DAP. Definitely without doubt a desktop solution as well. I can recall this type of feeling when I had my yggy1 & Holo Spring dac(1). I like RS8 better. 👍

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #1,280 of 3,403
Another fun little dap... I'm not fickle :)

RS8, RS6, Sony whatever, and SP2000. All are TOTL sounding to me :)

1670473373125.png

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #1,283 of 3,403
I think it is the battery that is heavy not the chassis

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #1,286 of 3,403
What did you have plugged into the rs8 in the way of output (headphones, burn-in widgets, etc.) when this happened?
Both of my RS8 units failed under similar cirumstances and setups. They were operating under battery power only and amply charged, with my VE Phonix plugged into the 4.4mm PO connection. They both failed when pushing the external play button after having the units in pause. Apparently, I'm the only person in the world to have experienced this not just once, but twice for this DAP.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #1,287 of 3,403
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #1,288 of 3,403
I have definitely left Turbo ON at all times even in low gain for sensitive IEMs... there is a clear gain in terms of dynamic range and soundstage (quite a bit more open) and I see no downside whatsoever in SQ... sure there is a battery hit but who cares? Not me :D

I think burn in is over for my unit, any changes is minor enough now that I wouldn't really know... this DAP is something else for sure!

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,289 of 3,403
I have definitely left Turbo ON at all times even in low gain for sensitive IEMs... there is a clear gain in terms of dynamic range and soundstage (quite a bit more open) and I see no downside whatsoever in SQ... sure there is a battery hit but who cares? Not me :D

I think burn in is over for my unit, any changes is minor enough now that I wouldn't really know... this DAP is something else for sure!
I will have to try your tip. I assumed settings to minimize gain and boost was better without trying them.

Today my CR08 should arrive. I will enjoy connecting my Mcintosh directly to the RS8. I'll never know what the C9 sounds like, but hopefully the MHA200 follows the C9 benefits:)

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,290 of 3,403
I've been envious of David's DCA, I though about the Expanse and I was going to listen to it, but shinny gold bright thing distracted me. And I thought god I love this Sony sound on the LCD-MX4. That headphone is luckily easy to drive and one of the least colored and weird Audeze to date. So I ended up buying a third dap this month.

Guess I will have to explain to my wife where the new refrigerator budget went :) Why does she slap my ears when she gets mad ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back