HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Nov 27, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,036 of 3,436
Hi all,
Where would I find the setting to turn off the ‘double tap to wake’ function?

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #1,038 of 3,436
Hi all,
Where would I find the setting to turn off the ‘double tap to wake’ function?
Not sure on RS8 but N8ii is settings-system-gestures and general android is in settings-advanced features - motions / gestures.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,039 of 3,436
[
One thing I’m concerned regarding RS8 is a bit distant vocals - using Traillii and N8ii in P+/AB iI already wish they were brought a bit more forward sometimes like on DX320 or SP2K.

I’m wondering if it would be too much on RS8

5D79156E-9DB0-484B-B1E1-67A16D839840.jpeg

This is at least desktop class performance.

• HQPlayer 4.20.1
  • Poly-Sinc-Ext upscaling to 32-Bit 352.8K PCM.
  • Bitrate is 1.4 Mbps.
  • No dithering.
  • RS8 OS (NOS is off) Amp Class AB

This combination is actually easily sounding better than an unaided Hugo 2 playing bit perfect from JRiver 30. The clarity and resolution as well as the critical realism is stunning using the now well matured Foutre Blanc. Every note as well as Karen Souza sound so effortless. The sound stage is easily projecting outwards in front of you and in a nice semi-circle. The sound stage has very good depth. Everything is life size and sounds so clear you almost believe you can walk into the music. There is no sibilance, the rendition is well textured without any artificial flavors added to the playback that makes you wonder if the instrument is real or synthetic. The timber is top class, which is improved over the RS6.
how do you get it to play above 768 ?

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,040 of 3,436
My RS8 came in yesterday. Burn-in is ongoing.
I'm always impressed at those who can hold out a good amount of time before listening. Here are some of my initial thoughts since I couldn't help myself and had a listen.

As a point of reference, I'm coming from a FiiO M15, my one and only dedicated DAP.
Listening with Dunu Luna, Focal Stellia, and TGXear Serratus.

The M15 for me had detail, clarity, and airiness that drew me in initially.
However, overtime I found the sound to clinical and bit boring. The timing of the RS8 release lined up perfectly with my search for a new DAP, so I decided to try this R2R. I was a bit worried as I had not previously heard any R2R DACs.

So far sound wise the RS8 has not disappointed. It has the "musicality" that had been missing from the M15. Vocals have been the standout for me, very natural sounding, and not too forward.

I've run into one issue however ...
When streaming with UAPP (bitperfect mode), I assume MQA is being handled through the hardware, 48KHz and 96KHz seem to have intermittent cracking and popping. 44.1 KHz is fine. Tidal player also plays fine. But, the Tidal app does not publish the stream info (so not 100% sure what KHz the stream is at) and also not sure if Tidal utilizes hardware MQA unfolding. Has anyone else run into this UAPP issue too?

Here is pic of my RS8 and earphones.
20221127_082857.jpg

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #1,041 of 3,436
I'm always impressed at those who can hold out a good amount of time before listening. Here are some of my initial thoughts since I couldn't help myself and had a listen.

As a point of reference, I'm coming from a FiiO M15, my one and only dedicated DAP.

However, overtime I found the sound to clinical and bit boring. The timing of the RS8 release lined up perfectly with my search for a new DAP, so I decided to try this R2R. I was a bit worried as I had not previously heard any R2R DACs.

So far sound wise the RS8 has not disappointed. It has the "musicality" that had been missing from the M15. Vocals have been the standout for me, very natural sounding, and not too forward.

When streaming with UAPP (bitperfect mode), I assume MQA is being handled through the hardware, 48KHz and 96KHz seem to have intermittent cracking and popping. 44.1 KHz is fine. Tidal player also plays fine. But, the Tidal app does not publish the stream info (so not 100% sure what KHz the stream is at) and also not sure if Tidal utilizes hardware MQA unfolding. Has anyone else run into this UAPP issue too?

20221127_082857.jpg
Not sure if UAPP has been updated for RS8 yet? Native Tidal should be unfolding.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,043 of 3,436

20221127_082857.jpg
How does it sound with Stellia? Does it work well with full size headphones? Enough driving power for smth like HD650, Audeze-X, Focal?

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #1,044 of 3,436
I think this is the case.
Yup. I'll be using Tidal or UAPP (with Tidal set to Lossless. This setting has all tracks set to 44.1 KHz). Hopefully, UAPP will get this resolved.

How does it sound with Stellia? Does it work well with full size headphones? Enough driving power for smth like HD650, Audeze-X, Focal?
It seems to have good synergy with Stellia. The jump from M15 to RS8 appears to be more significant for the Stellia compared to the Luna and Serratus. I don't have any other full sized headphones to try. Although, with Stellia, I've been using high gain mode with power+ (Turbo), and there's ample volume.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #1,046 of 3,436
Not sure if UAPP has been updated for RS8 yet? Native Tidal should be unfolding.
I believe it has been, as @gLer mentioned here

Maybe that was an update just to handle the highest res files and not MQA unfolding? Not entirely sure though would think if it was updated it would fully support all features.

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #1,047 of 3,436

20221127_082857.jpg
Nice, congrats! Yes I worked with Davy to get UAPP working natively with RS8 from launch. But support is only very basic at this point I believe. I assume you've paid for the MQA add-on for UAPP?

Here's something to try: use Tidal through HiBy Music and see if you still get the popping noise. If so, can raise it with HiBy as a possible bug. The Tidal app supports full hardware decoding btw.

You should always see 705k (or similar) when playing MQA tracks in the status bar up top. If not, it's not hardware decoding.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,048 of 3,436
Nice, congrats! Yes I worked with Davy to get UAPP working natively with RS8 from launch. But support is only very basic at this point I believe. I assume you've paid for the MQA add-on for UAPP?

Here's something to try: use Tidal through HiBy Music and see if you still get the popping noise. If so, can raise it with HiBy as a possible bug. The Tidal app supports full hardware decoding btw.

You should always see 705k (or similar) when playing MQA tracks in the status bar up top. If not, it's not hardware decoding.
What do you mean paid for mqa add on are you talking about the tidal subscription?

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,050 of 3,436
Plus you pay it once for the app and not for each DAP.
I ve once purchased such options some years ago and happily using them for every DAP up2now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back