HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Nov 20, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #856 of 3,403
I used double quotation mark for the "no treble" if you noticed. It is impossible to be "no treble" at all for a high end DAP. Part of that, I was kidding. Another thing, it is that the treble from RS8 (first 10 hours, in my case) was not bright enough (to be sweet taste) and extended, IMO.
I used VE phonix and Noble Kublai Khan. The sound (treble) is not at the same level compared to what from N8ii. Another IEM is a double DD. That is all.
For the setting, Class AB, Turbo On, Gain Middle, NOS turned off, Darwin default. I didn't change or set anything else.
At least, it means it is not as easy as N8ii in terms of easy to pair with and use.
Your original comment should be fine. People don’t need to express impressions as if they’re legally deposed, audio witnesses under cross-examination. Readers generally know use cases and preferences are highly varied.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #857 of 3,403
no. rs8 is the least colored dap I heard. even less colored than n8ii. all it has is reference like sound
This is great news, I am going to wait with great anticipation the arrival of my copy of the RS8.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #858 of 3,403
Nov 21, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #859 of 3,403
Well, if’n ya don’t…
and find yourself haunting headfi threads for gear in this price category, i.e. “whopping”—
buddy, ya gonna loin it da hard way!

Besides, who’s got time for those endlessly tedious stipulations and petty contingencies?!? Audio chain? What a laugh. Just give me the sound, bruthah! 😉

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #860 of 3,403
no. rs8 is the least colored dap I heard. even less colored than n8ii. all it has is reference like sound
Interesting. In what way do you find the N8ii coloured? ( So I can get a feel of what you're hearing)

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #862 of 3,403
RS8 arrives tomorrow! I really enjoyed my brief demo with this DAP. Looking forward to spending more time with it organically and seeing how it compares to the SP3000.
I am really looking forwards to your comparisons in tonality.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #863 of 3,403
Andrew's been busy ! Wonderful service ! Well, all in at this point, looking forwards to the RS8 :)
It's en route.

1669075862990.png

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #865 of 3,403
Indeed Andrew has been a busy bee!
RS8 on the way… exciting!
😍

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #866 of 3,403
Am fortunate enough to have a shop that can demo the n8ii rs8 and dx320. I already own the dx320 and use it on an Empire Evo and at first the rs8 sounded a bit flat compared to the dx320. This is because the treble on the rs8 are not "piercing" as compared to the dx320. However extended listening made me appreciate the tonality of the rs8. The bass is more defined and full and rounded than the dx320 although dx320 sounds to go lower. The separation in details and blackness of background are better on the rs8. Surprisingly the Evo sounds better than the Odin on the rs8 as the shop also have an Odin demo. The n8ii is kinda similar in tonality to the dx320 with "piercing" treble but on a better level. I can listen to a louder volume on the rs8 and appreciate the technical details as the treble is not fatiguing. I feel the dx320 complements the rs8 more where if u need the sparkle listen to the dx320 and if you need to chill out the highs then use the rs8. I might bite the bullet on the rs8 when it becomes available next week at the shop.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #867 of 3,403
Just picked up my RS8 from the Post Office. I eschewed the normal suggestion for burn in as I always do. Will see how it changes over time. I just finished applying the screen protector, put on the case, put the box away, set up the internet, updated the firmware and downloaded Tidal. Now listening with Jewel and Meet Again cable. Settings are Class AB, Turbo mode off, Low gain

IMG_2713.jpg

I chose Jewel to be my first listen because it is my reference IEM. My neutral. Quickly spinning through a few tracks and the first thing I notice is the upper mids / lower treble of RS8+Jewel are world class. This region has always been my favorite with Jewel. RS8 really enhances it in a nice way. Vocals are forward and natural. My experience with R2R dacs is I love how it renders treble. So, as I spun around my library, I ended up on one of my favorite Broadway scores. "The King and I"

This score sounds as good as I remember hearing it. Great detail and resolution. Timbre is so perfect and the upper mids / treble is so sublime. I can't wait to switch to Red Halo to hear a little richer rendition with RS8.

Here are some addition pictures from my unboxing. The RS8 is heavier than I remember it and I remember it as being heavy. It is slightly thinner than N8ii, but I think it might be slightly heavier.

The box is gorgeous. More impressions as I get more listening time with the RS8. Can't wait to spin in through the IEMs and library and a/b test it with everything.

It's always a great sign which is when the thoughts going through my mind is, "is this the best thing I have ever heard." I am definitely getting that vibe. Will settle in the days and weeks to come.

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #868 of 3,403
Just picked up my RS8 from the Post Office. I eschewed the normal suggestion for burn in as I always do. Will see how it changes over time. I just finished applying the screen protector, put on the case, put the box away, set up the internet, updated the firmware and downloaded Tidal. Now listening with Jewel and Meet Again cable. Settings are Class AB, Turbo mode off, Low gain

IMG_2713.jpg

I chose Jewel to be my first listen because it is my reference IEM. My neutral. Quickly spinning through a few tracks and the first thing I notice is the upper mids / lower treble of RS8+Jewel are world class. This region has always been my favorite with Jewel. RS8 really enhances it in a nice way. Vocals are forward and natural. My experience with R2R dacs is I love how it renders treble. So, as I spun around my library, I ended up on one of my favorite Broadway scores. "The King and I"

This score sounds as good as I remember hearing it. Great detail and resolution. Timbre is so perfect and the upper mids / treble is so sublime. I can't wait to switch to Red Halo to hear a little richer rendition with RS8.

Here are some addition pictures from my unboxing. The RS8 is heavier than I remember it and I remember it as being heavy. It is slightly thinner than N8ii, but I think it might be slightly heavier.

The box is gorgeous. More impressions as I get more listening time with the RS8. Can't wait to spin in through the IEMs and library and a/b test it with everything.

It's always a great sign which is when the thoughts going through my mind is, "is this the best thing I have ever heard." I am definitely getting that vibe. Will settle in the days and weeks to come.

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg
IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Wow, congratulations. I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying your RS8 and consider it world class. It's great to hear even initial impressions from an experienced audiophile.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #869 of 3,403

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg
IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Sick! Now you can listen to some sweet tunes while you slowly pass out from thanksgiving dinner 😂

Nov 22, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #870 of 3,403
Mine arrives tomorrow!!!!
Has anyone received the CR-8 dock with their RS8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back