HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,981 of 3,178
I have had my RS6 for a couple weeks. The only direct comparison I have currently is R6 2020. The obvious difference is R62020 is detailed with more clarity. That said RS6 is a ton more musical and has a lot more "dynamic" sound quality. RS6 is an easy to tell notch up in quality of sound. RS6 is heavier which makes it feel more solid. The copper IMHO looks great. With my sensitive IEM (Phonix) the background waterfall noise is not tolerable with R6 2020. With RS6 it is extremely faint and not an issue at all.

Yes set the volume control to something low like 50 or lower. I keep my max at 35 just because I listen at super long volume due to my crazy ears. I hear every noise. Hence the issue if the background is not black. You get used to not swiping up accidentally when that volume half circle is on the screen. I like it for making finite and not finite adjustments. Setting max volume is key. I also like setting my charge to 80% max. Better for battery in the long run.

I have noticed that when charging and battery is set to a certain % that when charging when the DAP is on that it will stop charging at that %. When the DAP is off it will keep charging to 100%. Anyone else noticed that or am I losing my mind as usual? I keep the DAP on and put in airplane mod when not listening so it is not an issue for me. Turning on and off with each listening session seems to be straining on the device. Like a computer etc.

The R2R is a pleasure. Super musical. Works fine with all my IEMs. I could see having a bright DAP as a contrast. I do have Jot 2 and Bifrost 1 as a detailed/clarity contrast.

From memory I like the amazing mids of the RS6 vs. M17. I am guessing from memory that DX300Max would be a good detailed contrast DAP. DX300 from memory seems to be in the same family of warm musical sound as RS6.

The vocals from the RS6 are the best I have ever heard.

That is all I have for now :)
Nice little review, I personally wish the copper color was more like AK SP2000, it’s a little rose colored for my liking, but very nice build quality for its price point.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,982 of 3,178
I've been comparing the Mojo 2 to the RS6 (sound quality wise); yeah the RS6 steps all over it.

Mojo 2 sound distinctly more digital and slightly brittle in the treble. The RS6 sound larger, wider, more direct and engaging and without any of the digital etch.

The Mojo 2 however seems to have a very good discrete amplifier even for difficult to drive headphones.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,983 of 3,178
I have noticed that when charging and battery is set to a certain % that when charging when the DAP is on that it will stop charging at that %. When the DAP is off it will keep charging to 100%. Anyone else noticed that or am I losing my mind as usual?
Great impressions! As for the charge limit, you're not losing your mind. It's a software-controlled, so if the DAP is off...software can't contr the limit...it charges to 100%.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,984 of 3,178
I have noticed that when charging and battery is set to a certain % that when charging when the DAP is on that it will stop charging at that %. When the DAP is off it will keep charging to 100%. Anyone else noticed that or am I losing my mind as usual?
It was the same with the R8. It needs to be on for the charging to stop. That said, few if any other DAPs have this feature, AFAIK.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,988 of 3,178
I look forward to a firmware update, hopefully with the following:

* Adjustable parametric EQ like the Qudelix (4-5 bands is enough). I need precision to tame some specific peaks in my headphones.

* Fix for the every 2-3 mins audio stutter when used in USB dac mode with a different source.

* Darwin parameters improvements - currently they hardly make any difference if at all (apart from NOS). I want to be able to hear the changes.

* Line out volume control (with dithered digital volume attenuation, I understand analogue attenuation not possible) - I know this isn't ideal, but would be nice to have as option.

* Improvements in sound quality always appreciated.
There are some good points in there, but I should note that the Darwin system is for the most part a custom FIR for the AA filter after oversampling. This is for the most part suppression of ultrasonic artifacts / noise and the results may not make a difference if your earphones do not IMD ultrasonics back into the audible range.

You can find about the most different Darwin filter in the last custom filter I made in the latest package
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...res-android-music-player.958878/post-16715371

(instructions and comments here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...id-music-player.958878/page-113#post-16715190)

But after volume matching that filter with all the others (a step I did not take in this package, because it required cutting volume of all the other filters by a lot), I still couldn't really find an obvious difference between them. It's always going to be a subtle thing.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,990 of 3,178
When streaming Tidal what everyone’s average battery life verse when on airplane mode? Mine seems to only last 4 hours streaming when charge to 87% percent max and 5 hours in airplane mode when playing mqa, wondering if this is normal?
Using mid gain volume around 25-26, NOS Darwin mode, balanced.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,991 of 3,178
Joining the RS6 club! I auditioned it at CanJam NYC, very impressed and ordered from Musicteck. Andrew is a pleasure to deal with. In anticipation, 2 "newbie" questions:
  1. Do I need to download and install a Hiby-specific Windows 11 ASIO driver to take best advantage if the RS6's capabilities for ASIO / DSD when connected as USB DAC to my PC? I have done this with my prior DAP's to "unlock" maximal bit rates / ASIO support for DSD, which I prefer to WASAPI.
  2. What is the best method to update to the latest firmware? I have seen some posts noting difficulty with updates over Wi-Fi but perhaps that is all sorted now.
Thanks, I am very excited to receive the RS6 this coming week!

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,992 of 3,178
Joining the RS6 club! I auditioned it at CanJam NYC, very impressed and ordered from Musicteck. Andrew is a pleasure to deal with. In anticipation, 2 "newbie" questions:
  1. Do I need to download and install a Hiby-specific Windows 11 ASIO driver to take best advantage if the RS6's capabilities for ASIO / DSD when connected as USB DAC to my PC? I have done this with my prior DAP's to "unlock" maximal bit rates / ASIO support for DSD, which I prefer to WASAPI.
  2. What is the best method to update to the latest firmware? I have seen some posts noting difficulty with updates over Wi-Fi but perhaps that is all sorted now.
Got mine a few days, super easy to update over WiFi and very quick, no issues.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #1,993 of 3,178
The only things of note about the update process are that depending on the date of manufacture of your unit, you probably need to update multiple times and check for updates after each update, until no more updates are found. And that if the latest update was released within the last few days, you may have difficulty downloading it straight away because of bandwidth limitations.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 6, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,994 of 3,178
The only things of note about the update process are that depending on the date of manufacture of your unit, you probably need to update multiple times and check for updates after each update, until no more updates are found. And that if the latest update was released within the last few days, you may have difficulty downloading it straight away because of bandwidth limitations.
Thank you @Joe Bloggs. I also PM'd to ask about USB DAC Driver, and will post that question here as well in case it is helpful to others:

I explored Hiby website for USB DAC driver for Windows 11 as is generally required for ASIO setup (I greatly prefer ASIO to WASAPI). The driver download section indicates:

“This driver applies to HiBy R2, R3, R3 Pro, R3 Pro Saber, R5, R5 Saber, R6 (Android 8.1), R6 Pro, New HiBy R6, and R8. This driver also applies to HiBy FD1 and HiBy FC3”.

RS6 is not mentioned on the list "driver applies to" above. Is it safe to use this driver with RS6 under Windows 11 or is there a different driver I should download?

Sincere thanks!

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #1,995 of 3,178
Just wanted to stop by to shout-out MusicTeck. Ordered 4:30PM ET on Thursday, they shipped it out same day and I had it by Friday afternoon. Boy did they make my weekend!

Also, this thing’s synergy with my Kinera Imperial Nanna is no joke intoxicating and addicting. Looking forward to see how things settle in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back