HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,681 of 3,177
Any degradation in sound when listening to tidal on wifi? I had an N6ii and it was terrible when streaming tidal compared to being plugged in to the usb as a dac
Sounds fantastic to me via Tidal :)

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,682 of 3,177
Ok it looks like I am getting some headway with getting to the inner workings and customizations available for the Darwin system like an actual member of HiBy 😛

Screenshot_20211215-232633.png

Like uploading my own AA filters to it 😛

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #1,683 of 3,177
Ok it looks like I am getting some headway with getting to the inner workings and customizations available for the Darwin system like an actual member of HiBy 😛

Screenshot_20211215-232633.png

I still dun understand what they mean 🤣

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,685 of 3,177

That is AWESOME. We can get some “Joe” filters, when? :p

OK let’s start with identifying what’s there today using the measurements we now have at hand.
Darwin Default: Standard linear phase fast filter
Darwin 1: Linear phase super fast filter
Darwin 2: exact same filter as Darwin 1? Or maybe it wasn't on the frequency response graph.
Darwin 3: Linear phase slow filter (~-5db at 20khz)
Darwin 4: Linear phase slow filter #2 (~-3db at 20khz)
Darwin 5: ? This one looks like some sort of NOS-approximation filter ?
Darwin 6: Brickwall filter
Darwin 7: I don't see this one on the frequency response graph. Some sort of linear phase again based upon impulse response.
Darwin 8: Linear phase slow #3 (super slow, ~-5db at 20khz, slower than Darwin 3)
Darwin 9: Some sort of hybrid linear phase?
Darwin 10: Minimum phase slow, with pre-ringing vs. normal MP post-ringing
NOS looks like true NOS :)

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,686 of 3,177
Any degradation in sound when listening to tidal on wifi? I had an N6ii and it was terrible when streaming tidal compared to being plugged in to the usb as a dac
Theoretically there should be no difference when listening to Tidal via the Tidal app, UAPP, or using as a DAC. In all cases, due to Hiby's DTA, the DAC receives bit-perfect audio.

I haven't listened/compared UAPP with the play store app yet. I am enjoying the native Qobuz app, don't yet see a need to put that under the microscope.

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,687 of 3,177

OK let’s start with identifying what’s there today using the measurements we now have at hand.
Darwin 2: exact same filter as Darwin 1? Or maybe it wasn't on the frequency response graph.
Darwin 7: I don't see this one on the frequency response graph. Some sort of linear phase again based upon impulse response.
Darwin 8: Linear phase slow #3 (super slow, ~-5db at 20khz, slower than Darwin 3)
Got some serious knowledge there kiddo. I say kiddo cause I'm assuming your much younger than this old man.

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,688 of 3,177
Got some serious knowledge there kiddo. I say kiddo cause I'm assuming your much younger than this old man.
Just a grizzled old born-before-digital audiophile who may be in denial about needing reading glasses, but I’ll take that young man compliment any day. Lol

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,689 of 3,177
Theoretically there should be no difference when listening to Tidal via the Tidal app, UAPP, or using as a DAC. In all cases, due to Hiby's DTA, the DAC receives bit-perfect audio.

I haven't listened/compared UAPP with the play store app yet. I am enjoying the native Qobuz app, don't yet see a need to put that under the microscope.
has nothing to do with being bitperfect...but rather design introduces noise into the circuit if not properly isolated

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,690 of 3,177

You can get them now, if you don't mind that you can't get back the original ones until I get a package of the factory standard ones (should be today) :stuck_out_tongue:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,691 of 3,177

The plots for Darwin 2 overlapped with 1 and 7 overlapped with 6.

Soon as I get the filters as digital files we can see what the actual differences are between those overlapping ones.

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,692 of 3,177
has nothing to do with being bitperfect...but rather design introduces noise into the circuit if not properly isolated
USB has as much (if not more) potential than wifi to introduce noise. As well as clocking issues.

Of course, even reading from SD creates noise…. As does literally living in our radio-signal-infested world.

In any case, responding more to the question between UAPP and Tidal, they likely sound exactly the same.

Best answer? Pick one that flows well with your chi and go with it :)

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #1,693 of 3,177
The plots for Darwin 2 overlapped with 1 and 7 overlapped with 6.

Soon as I get the filters as digital files we can see what the actual differences are between those overlapping ones.
Awesome, keep us posted! Would love to finish the details on what’s here, and then install some JoeFIRs. :0

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,694 of 3,177

Ok almost ready for prime time:
Unzip filter.zip into the folder called "filter" in the RS6 internal storage.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnum5llpdzx6wc8/AACnY9po1_rCis7SSnvjTR0ta?dl=0

(but see this post for comments: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...id-music-player.958878/page-114#post-16715371
and this post for latest update: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...id-music-player.958878/page-115#post-16717890)

(but read on here also)--vvvvv

Each time you open the Darwin Controller page the player looks for and loads the file called "filter.json" in the "filter" folder.

I have included all the original filters in Darwin in their original order, (if you copy all the files in the zip to that folder), (new! Now with actual descriptions!) as well as added 11 of my own, 9 being filters of 3 different lowpass rates (fast, medium and slow) of 3 different phases (psychoacoustic, minimum and symmetric), and the last two being a non-lowpassed non-filter adjusted in volume to avoid in-band artifacts and a filter that measures very similarly to the NOS mode.

*psychoacoustic: our hearing masks sounds (e.g. ringing) mostly after a competing sound (e.g. impulse), however, pre-masking is not non-existent. So, I mix pre-filtering and post-filtering in a 1:4 ratio, to make the main impulse psychoacoustically best mask the ringing (assuming it can be heard at all; after all, this ringing all occurs at around 22kHz even for 44.1kHz audio).

A word to the wise, the current firmware is bugged in the sense that whenever the player resumes from pause (*usually* in the sense that the sample rate counter disappears and reappears, or changes), your Darwin filter mode selection is ignored and the first previously chosen [system default which is not on the list at all] filter is always chosen (all display to the contrary). That was why I couldn't replicate SandalAudio's review's measurements at first. So you may want to edit the json file to put your preferred filter first. Then again, that messes up the bespoke earphone presets (not that they are immune to this bug either, as far as I can tell). UPDATE: 1. changes need to be made while music is playing to take effect. 2. It appears that pressing the back button on the upper left to exit the Darwin Controller screen right after a change may sometimes "save" the new setting and prevent it from snapping back to the previous setting. (see second updated filterset for a set that lets you easily distinguish any user filter from the system default)

The flt files can be loaded as wave files via import raw data in Audacity as 32-bit signed, single channel, little endian raw data. The sample rate should be set to double your audio's sample rate (e.g. 88200Hz for 44100Hz audio playback), for correct visualization of frequency response e.g. in FFT analysis.

These are the Darwin filter frequency responses (captured directly from the digital files this time):
Darwin 1 turned out to be the same as "Default".
darwins-digital.png

These are mine in terms of frequency response (remember however that each comes in 3 phase flavours. Unfortunately the two graphs are not in the same scale or even the same dB height (might fix this later)
Joe.png

Impulse and sweep responses as measured by a cheap 192kHz sound card are included as follows (for all filters in the list, in descending order):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jflmew3tggkguib/impulses recorded.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0tsl622okmmmtk/sweeps recorded.wav?dl=0

Attachments

• filter.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #1,695 of 3,177
Epic, @Joe Bloggs !!

There’s a lot that is super exciting here, and a lot to digest. I’m going to have to take some time off over the holidays :)

Here’s something I’m really excited about: we can have filters (optimized to our preferences) for specific sample rates! dCS and likely others do this (automatically of course, but I’m fine with manual).

Great call-out on the bug. Duly noted. This does not apply to NOS switch, correct? Just NOS off, and a non-default filter selected (or earphone selection).

Thank you for all your hard work here, Joe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back