HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 13, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #1,651 of 3,178
My last day off, before work choas begins, I had a chance to play with all my gears. I need to retract my comment regarding selling my P6. RS6 and P6 are both equally good on their way, with RS6 been more of a complete dap and P6 easier to listen to sound, due to its less thicker tonality.

Listening to RS6 and Faudio Major, I have to say this is the best synergy for my taste, but can't help but wonder how will RS6 sound if higher precision resistors are used. We all know it is a matter of time for RS6 pro to be released.
My money is on a flagship RS8.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,652 of 3,178
My money is on a flagship RS8.
I suspect the RS6 was a bit of a trial, both regarding Hiby’s capability as well as a market test for how consumers would receive a R2R Hiby. They seem to have used it as such, the RS6 is clearly a work in progress: sound changing substantially with each firmware update, the addition of new filters and features, all without any clear explanations of what the features are and purport to do.

It all feels very much like “let’s throw some pasta on the wall and see what sticks” to me.

Personally, I hope Hiby “finishes” this one first. Polish up the PCM decoding Darwin changes to the best of their ability, label and publish documentation for each FIR filter and Darwin setting, and explain how they are doing DSD and why the 2 filters sound so drastically different. Only then begin work on RS8 with laser-trimmed resistors and (hopefully) a parallel or Ring DAC-like implementation for better resolution and low level detail/spatial reproduction. Oh, and add in a Korg nutube and class A discrete solid state amp.

Maybe that would look more like DX300MAX by then. I’m not sure R8 form factor can allow for a big leap in R2R performance, SOTA R2R takes up a lot of space.

Just my wishful thinking :)

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,653 of 3,178
I suspect the RS6 was a bit of a trial, both regarding Hiby’s capability as well as a market test for how consumers would receive a R2R Hiby. They seem to have used it as such, the RS6 is clearly a work in progress: sound changing substantially with each firmware update, the addition of new filters and features, all without any clear explanations of what the features are and purport to do.

It all feels very much like “let’s throw some pasta on the wall and see what sticks” to me.

Personally, I hope Hiby “finishes” this one first. Polish up the PCM decoding Darwin changes to the best of their ability, label and publish documentation for each FIR filter and Darwin setting, and explain how they are doing DSD and why the 2 filters sound so drastically different. Only then begin work on RS8 with laser-trimmed resistors and (hopefully) a parallel or Ring DAC-like implementation for better resolution and low level detail/spatial reproduction. Oh, and add in a Korg nutube and class A discrete solid state amp.

Maybe that would look more like DX300MAX by then. I’m not sure R8 form factor can allow for a big leap in R2R performance, SOTA R2R takes up a lot of space.

Just my wishful thinking :)
Well the R8 is bigger than the L&P P6/P6 Pro, so if they can hit that level of SQ (and I don't think they have very far to go given some comparisons I've seen) then they can smash the flagship R2R price performance ratio with a <$3000 RS8.

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,654 of 3,178
Well the R8 is bigger than the L&P P6/P6 Pro, so if they can hit that level of SQ (and I don't think they have very far to go given some comparisons I've seen) then they can smash the flagship R2R price performance ratio with a <$3000 RS8.
Or go for a moonshot.

Personally, if RS6 is already close to P6P (I haven't heard it, I'll take that at face value), and RS6 is still evolving, I suspect there's enough left in RS6's development to close that gap to a preference choice. At that point, you have a great R2R in a very portable form factor, so I'd like for the moonshot to be next so I'd have a SERIOUS upgrade when switching from my RS6 to RS8.

DAPs seem to be evolving to desktop-caliber devices, so might as well double down there.

Just my $.02. What you suggest is, I think, much more likely.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,655 of 3,178
Dec 13, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,658 of 3,178
Can you share your filter measurements, Joe? I’d love to see both impulse and the roll off characteristics, as some of those impulse responses look exactly the same to my eyes. That filter 10 is very unique, it’s a backwards minimum phase with all pre-ringing. Seems like a strange choice..

So it looks like we have, based upon the measurements in that review:
Linear Phase fast filters for Darwin Default, 1, 2, 6, and 7.
Slow roll off for 3 and 4
Some sort of bezier filter for 5, 8, and 9?
Backwards minimum phase for 10.

Would love to see what you have so far, Joe.
I can now confirm Takanori-san's findings.

Here's the filter responses in terms of frequency responses (to an impulse). And other than filter 10, they are all linear phase. Note that this is in relation to 44.1kHz sample rate input. At other sample rates these responses will be shifted as you would by multiplying the whole x axis by (actual sample rate)/44.1kHz.

Please ignore the ripple at under -50dB as that's just from the limitation of my... limited equipment.
darwins.png

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 13, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #1,659 of 3,178
I can now confirm Takanori-san's findings.

Here's the filter responses in terms of frequency responses (to an impulse). And other than filter 10, they are all linear phase. Note that this is in relation to 44.1kHz sample rate input. At other sample rates these responses will be shifted as you would by multiplying the whole x axis by (actual sample rate)/44.1kHz.

Please ignore the ripple at under -50dB as that's just from the limitation of my... limited equipment.
Thank you, Joe! A lot to digest. I’ll re-define my list of filters after looking on a larger monitor. Some interesting things to see there..

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,661 of 3,178
D90710A5-54EC-4A5F-8CEB-94F0D45E490F.jpeg

Enjoying a few of my favourite albums from Mr. Children (Japanese) from the 90s using my Fender Ten 5 iems. Very enjoyable and noticeably better compared to my N3Pro especially in vocal clarity and instrument separation, which is expected I suppose. Fw=1.3, NOS filter no, medium gain

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,662 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs

My HiBy is stuck is in this state where the screen remains switched off but the LED light still switched on. It does not respond to any button I press, and no audio is coming out when I plug in my headphones.

Can you advise how you would force a restart on my device? I have tried pressing the power button over 15 seconds but nothing happens. I could not find an instruction on the online manual on how to deal with this situation.

Right now I am just waiting for the battery to drain so I can do a forced shutdown.

IMG20211214213802.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,663 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs

My HiBy is stuck is in this state where the screen remains switched off but the LED light still switched on. It does not respond to any button I press, and no audio is coming out when I plug in my headphones.

Can you advise how you would force a restart on my device? I have tried pressing the power button over 15 seconds but nothing happens. I could not find an instruction on the online manual on how to deal with this situation.

Right now I am just waiting for the battery to drain so I can do a forced shutdown.

IMG20211214213802.jpg

Try hardware reset: hold power button and top/next track button for about 20sec (https://track.hiby.com/Manual/Find?p=Hiby RS6&l=en - mentioned all the way at the bottom)

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,664 of 3,178
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,665 of 3,178
Total Android noob here...

I'm pretty excited about getting my RS6 next week. If I want to load an app on to it, can I download it from the Play store on a Mac? I have both Android File Transfer and Commander One already loaded to do the transfer to the RS6. If necessary, I can use BootCamp to transfer it. Do I simply copy the installer to the internal RS6 drive? Does it go into the root directory or is there a specific directory it should be placed? How do I actually install the app?

Or can I simply enter my Google credentials on the RS6 and do all that on the DAP?

thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back