HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 5, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,591 of 3,181
After the upgrade to fw 1.3, when applying DSD Filter "Darwin 1" while playing DSD256, I'm noticing improved dynamics in sound, the sound feels a little more expanded; with default DSD filter it sounds a little flatter. Anybody else noticing similar? I'm not DSD expert, only have a few sample files, thus curious if anybody else had a chance to play with that filter.
I noticed the exact same thing after the update myself. Dynamics and sound always full-bodied but more open and fast.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,592 of 3,181
Hiby really nailed the DSD playback with the new firmware.

Lacks a slight warmth I hear from T+A DSD 8, but nails the rest. If Hiby does not focus on what they have with RS6 and implement delta Sigma chip, they are silly.

Time to a 1TB micro SD.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,593 of 3,181
Not only is the new DSD filter very nice, but firmware 1.30G sounds different (better, at first glance) for PCM, to me. I am not having the same problems with the soundstage expanding and contracting, and I hear a more cohesive performance.

More listening required, but the change was immediate after I installed 1.30G.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,594 of 3,181
Not only is the new DSD filter very nice, but firmware 1.30G sounds different (better, at first glance) for PCM, to me. I am not having the same problems with the soundstage expanding and contracting, and I hear a more cohesive performance.

More listening required, but the change was immediate after I installed 1.30G.
I have to give PCM a go soon, but the new harmonic controller changes the midrange tonality. I'm glad I don't need to review this, as this seems to be a hard day to review.
Just when you think you understand what RS6 is capable of, next second it gives you something totally different.

On that note, I feel Hiby is onto something with how they are handling DSD.
I feel the dap does not get as warm when dealing with DSD and battery life seems to improve too.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,595 of 3,181
Has anyone had luck with Roon on the RS6? I keep getting lossy downgrade with the default output on AAudio.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,597 of 3,181
It's not Roon certified, I don't think Hiby ever mentioned anything about Roon integration.
Fair enough. Got the $1 for 3 months deal so I gave it a go.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,600 of 3,181
Hello HiBy RS6 forum and @Joe Bloggs ,

This is my first post in this thread, and honestly I'm not sure if it's the correct place to ask this question, but I'm not sure where else! So.. I am using a DAP from another company, but I downloaded and have been using the Hiby player app with it. And it's great. However, I have a question about it. Usually, when I skip to the next song, I can hear a little snippet of sound right before the song changes. It's like a milisecond of the end of the song, or something. Is there any way to stop this issue?

Also, when I press "back" to go to the beginning of a track, it goes not to the beginning of the track I'm listening to, but the track before. Not sure if that's fixable but if so I'd definitely be interested to hear.

If there's another thread or forum where I should be asking a question like this, plus any more I have about the app, please let me know. Thanks. Great app!

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #1,601 of 3,181
Fair enough. Got the $1 for 3 months deal so I gave it a go.

The Roon android app is a disappointment with respect to high-resolution audio. They haven't made any attempt to detect DAP capabilities outside the default Android audio stack. The iOS app works fine at higher bit-rates.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,603 of 3,181
The Roon android app is a disappointment with respect to high-resolution audio. They haven't made any attempt to detect DAP capabilities outside the default Android audio stack. The iOS app works fine at higher bit-rates.
This is the main reason I haven't even bothered with Roon. If they can't enable a basic feature like Hi-Res support on Android, what's the point?

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,604 of 3,181
This is the main reason I haven't even bothered with Roon. If they can't enable a basic feature like Hi-Res support on Android, what's the point?

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled why it isn't a higher priority for them. I would think it would sell quite a few Roon subscriptions. A&K does a have a few DAPs that are "Roon Ready" such as my SP1000M that work well (if you have good wi-fi which is an ongoing A&K issue). But you probably already knew that... :sunglasses:

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,605 of 3,181
Just sharing what the HK distributor wrote about the latest Hiby RS6 update. Included a Google translation so take it with a pinch of salt.

Screenshot_20211207-222843_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-222854_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-222854_Facebook.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back