HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 13, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,231 of 3,181
They are different sounds, you will prefer one or the other depending on your IEMs I am sure. RS6 is richer, more organic/analogue and has very sweet sounding vocals. There is more body and emphasis on the mid range on the RS6. I hear N6ii Ti to be a "thinner" and brighter sound in comparison.

Usability wise, the RS6 is in an entirely different class to the N6ii Ti, it might be the snappiest DAP I have used.
Exactly my opinion of RS6 vs N6ii Ti / R01 so far +1 on that.

I kept away from RS6 for 5 days in order to reset my mind and see how I like it.
It bested my WM1A, LPG. As I said before I thought I liked it more than P6, and I'm still happy to stand by it, but I can see why some might like P6 more.

RS6 does wonders with MQA, if MQA want to showcase how MQA suppose to sound like on the go, they need to showcase it with RS6.

I wish I understood the Darwin architecture more. For example, I don't understand why MQA always up samples to maximum multiple of it's base integer when NOS is on.
I don't understand what the maximum resolution it can offer?
USB DAC has more work to be done, I prefer it's onboard sound much more.
I agree on the MQA front, I happen to listen to a lot of Tidal and it sure never sounded better... I also was puzzled to notice upsampling when NOS is on, curious to know the bottom of this...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,232 of 3,181
I agree on the MQA front, I happen to listen to a lot of Tidal and it sure never sounded better... I also was puzzled to notice upsampling when NOS is on, curious to know the bottom of this...
The flip side is that, if it never sounded better, it must be doing something right, right? :smirk:

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #1,233 of 3,181
Yep Me :jecklinsmile: - And I experienced exactly the same as @littlexx26 with the sounds flaws. I also tested on some Arya V3 stealth, Sony MDR-Z1R and a set of Andro 2020's all with the same issues.

Can you tell me how the RS6 sound with the Arya V3 stealth (in R2R mode, not DSD)? Is the RS6 capable to soften the sharp edges (details) of the Arya stealth?

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,234 of 3,181
Ok, since I have the titles being discussed here, I gave them a listen myself.

I took two tracks off the Carpenters Singles SACD, converted them to flac (so I can play them back as PCM), then played both back-to-back, first as native DSD, then as flac, from local storage. To @Silverlinings comment about recording age, this does hold true, since I have a few other versions of these tracks (Carpenters Gold SACD, Best of Carpenters etc.), and in each case the mastering of the track is slightly different to the version on Singles. That said, as a longtime Carpenters fan, both the tracks I used (We've Only Just Begun and Rainy day and Mondays) I know intimately well, having listened to them dozens of times before for more than 30 years now, and both sound fantastic with the RS6 and IE 900 (which some people liken to an improved Z1R, but that's a different discussion). Excellent bass, for the recording year that is, clean treble, not too bright at all, and Karen's vocals are, as always, sublime, with tiny details in her voice and throat easily discernible). What's more, I can tell very little difference, if any, in the same tracks played back as Hi-Res flac (so using the acual R2R DAC), meaning the DSD playback is not degrafing the quality of these files at all.

I'm not the world's biggest Diana Krall fan (sorry @Silverlinings), in that I appreciate her work and use many of her DSD and hi-res tracks to demo new gear because they're so well made, but I don't regualrly listen to her as much as I do other stuff. That said, I have the Live In Paris SACD/DSD, and without even having to convert to flac, I can immediately tell that playback is of the highest quality. Does it match super high-end DSD-capable DACs? I don't know, but to my ears, I'd happily use this DSD to demo the RS6 with the IE 900 to anyone looking for a high-end portable system for hi-res/hi-fi sound.

Please note: none of the above was done to disparage any of the opinions shared before or deny @littlexx26's or @ScubaDrunk's experiences. Rather, since I had these albums and am very familiar with them, it was useful to play them back for myself with the RS6 to see if my particular unit displayed any of the issues they pointed out, and to the best of my hearing, preferences or opinion it doesn't. This is why I feel it's important to listen to the same music on the same gear when comparing. If you're following the discussion, consider it just another data point.
was your sacd released in 2004?

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,235 of 3,181
The flip side is that, if it never sounded better, it must be doing something right, right? :smirk:

It sure does :)
I am just curious like @audionewbi

I am at 100 hours mark and burn in seems like it's done now, I must say it's not as spectacular a change as the N6ii Ti was out of the box sound gives you a very good idea where it actually lands after a 100. It's a very fun DAP but it's no slouch technically either, honestly there isn't such a big gap to higher priced stuff and that's mostly something you'll notice in critical listening.

We tend to split airs as audiophiles but really RS6 is one of the most engaging DAP I have or had... and after all musical engagements trumps pure performance for me every time around in the end (not that RS6 doesn't perform, quite the contrary but it won't be as transparent as N6ii Ti / R01 and maybe as some much higher priced flagships... to me RS6 hits a sweet spot right there of fantastic value for money). I am sure it will compliment N8ii very well when I get it, this will be my duo :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,236 of 3,181

I am at 100 hours mark and burn in seems like it's done now, I must say it's not as spectacular a change as the N6ii Ti was out of the box sound gives you a very good idea where it actually lands after a 100. It's a very fun DAP but it's no slouch technically either, honestly there isn't such a big gap to higher priced stuff and that's mostly something you'll notice in critical listening.

We tend to split airs as audiophiles but really RS6 is one of the most engaging DAP I have or had... and after all musical engagements trumps pure performance for me every time around in the end (not that RS6 doesn't perform, quite the contrary but it won't be as transparent as N6ii Ti / R01 and maybe as some much higher priced flagships... to me RS6 hits a sweet spot right there of fantastic value for money). I am sure it will compliment N8ii very well when I get it, this will be my duo :)
I love M8’s SQ but the issues drives me mad. Lol
Can you compare the SQ to M8 please and how RS6 pairs with Elysium?

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,237 of 3,181

Great impressions David, thanks. I was also curious how you'd hear it compared to the 'mythical' M8, so I've included @Mehran's quote below.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,238 of 3,181
I'm at about 50 hours in so far with RS6. Only other note worthy portable I have is L&P W2 so not much to compare to. Biggest thing of note I've experienced with it is with IER-Z1R it feels like stage got bigger and bass was better controlled. I have a pair of ciems I'm eagerly awaiting so hopefully I'll get another point of view on this. I've tried Blessing 2 on it and honestly didn't feel much of a difference. I also tried Shure SE535 on it and it was nicer but those Shure are usually flat. Only time I've gotten anything interesting out of the Shure was using it on tubes, I may have been a little too hopeful to get that same experience just with r2r alone. I'll try to be back with more thoughts after I get more time on this though.
IMG_0331.JPG

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #1,240 of 3,181
Great impressions David, thanks. I was also curious how you'd hear it compared to the 'mythical' M8, so I've included @Mehran's quote below.

Thanks, I'll post more comprehensive impressions soon.

Yeah same here... Tidal Master issue with M8 are too annoying, I had to force HiFi quality and it's a shame...

Well, compared to M8 the RS6 has more present mids and overall more energy both the upper mids and lower treble are more vibrant (but never offensive). Upper treble performance is similar in terms of extension but the additional lower treble energy on RS6 gives the RS6 a more exciting treble with more weight. RS6 on high gain is perfectly capable to drive the Ely well.

Bass is where M8 has more energy, there is no matching that raw low end power that is so engaging in M8 bass. M8 has better sub bass presence, RS6 is not too far behind in terms of mid bass which gives you a satisfying bass line but without this visceral subs you loose a bit there.

As far as Elysium synergy goes M8 was so far my favorite pairing because of M8 bass giving the Ely bass driver the authority that is misses with most other sources. But I think RS6 is taking the prize here in the end as the Ely midrange is its selling point after all and the RS6 with more midrange emphasis gives full justice to the Ely's midrange capabilities. It brings an organic touch to a neutral and vibrant midrange. I think some people will prefer M8 has it tames the upper mids bite of the Ely but if you like a more exciting upper midrange then RS6 will do the job better while never sounding agressive to me (but here your personal threshold might make it or break it). The Ely has excellent bass power as well although loosing on the sub presence. The upper treble sound better to me with the RS6, as it's more energetic and makes the Ely overall more vibrant.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,241 of 3,181
Thanks, I'll post more comprehensive impressions soon.

Yeah same here... Tidal Master issue with M8 are too annoying, I had to force HiFi quality and it's a shame...

Well, compared to M8 the RS6 has more present mids and overall more energy both the upper mids and lower treble are more vibrant (but never offensive). Upper treble performance is similar in terms of extension but the additional lower treble energy on RS6 gives the RS6 a more exciting treble with more weight. RS6 on high gain is perfectly capable to drive the Ely well.

Bass is where M8 has more energy, there is no matching that raw low end power that is so engaging in M8 bass. M8 has better sub bass presence, RS6 is not too far behind in terms of mid bass which gives you a satisfying bass line but without this visceral subs you loose a bit there.

As far as Elysium synergy goes M8 was so far my favorite pairing because of M8 bass giving the Ely bass driver the authority that is misses with most other sources. But I think RS6 is taking the prize here in the end as the Ely midrange is its selling point after all and the RS6 with more midrange emphasis gives full justice to the Ely's midrange capabilities. It brings an organic touch to a neutral and vibrant midrange. I think some people will prefer M8 has it tames the upper mids bite of the Ely but if you like a more exciting upper midrange then RS6 will do the job better while never sounding agressive to me (but here your personal threshold might make it or break it). The Ely has excellent bass power as well although loosing on the sub presence. The upper treble sound better to me with the RS6, as it's more energetic and makes the Ely overall more vibrant.
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive comparison. I paints a good picture of the differences.
Now I'm not sure if this player for me. I don't like upper mid emphasis and more prominent treble isn't ideal for Fourte I magine.
As for Tidal I didn't know it was only an MQA iasue. I should probably set it to HiFi and download the content again to see if it solves the issues.
Thanks again ,it was very helpful.:)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,242 of 3,181
I'm at about 50 hours in so far with RS6. Only other note worthy portable I have is L&P W2 so not much to compare to. Biggest thing of note I've experienced with it is with IER-Z1R it feels like stage got bigger and bass was better controlled. I have a pair of ciems I'm eagerly awaiting so hopefully I'll get another point of view on this. I've tried Blessing 2 on it and honestly didn't feel much of a difference. I also tried Shure SE535 on it and it was nicer but those Shure are usually flat. Only time I've gotten anything interesting out of the Shure was using it on tubes, I may have been a little too hopeful to get that same experience just with r2r alone. I'll try to be back with more thoughts after I get more time on this though.
IMG_0331.JPG
I also own the L&P W2 and was curious how much of an upgrade a DAP like the RS6 would make.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #1,244 of 3,181
I have sold my rs6 too. noisy and thin sounding dsd playback like 64k mp3. emphasized treble makes most of the musics unrealistic. those presets are just gimmick. useless.
so regret have bought it.

I bought the RS6 and the DX240 and ended keeping the DX240. I agree with you about the sound so it isn't a bad unit as I could hear the same flaws (unless the first batch are bad or Firmware is bad)

Anyway it is a shame that hiby was bad and iBasso was better but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Maybe yours had problems because RS6 has the most organic natural sound ever listened.
It’s impossible read such different feedback, I always read the opposite and my ears confirm that RS6 isn’t thin at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back