HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 12, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,216 of 3,181
Can you tell me which DSDs you were listening to? Was your issue also with DSDs or other music too, and if so, can you name a few tracks?

If the Z1R is a common denominator it could just mean the RS6 doesn't have great synergy with it for your liking.

Hard to say, but so far you and @littlexx26 are the only two to have noticed this 'issue'. Which DAP do you have that works better for you by the way?

I'm not suggesting the DAP is a bad DAP, just not for me and it appears to be sensitive to certain tastes in music and IEM pairing, Like all things it could be down to the IEM and DAP pairing along with my taste in music.

This whole game is personal preference based on the fact my ears are different to others and my music taste is different to others.

I love EDM and Rock hence why i like my Sony z1r range. I kept the iBasso DX240 and sold the HiBy RS6.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #1,217 of 3,181
Can you tell me which DSDs you were listening to? Was your issue also with DSDs or other music too, and if so, can you name a few tracks?

If the Z1R is a common denominator it could just mean the RS6 doesn't have great synergy with it for your liking.

Hard to say, but so far you and @littlexx26 are the only two to have noticed this 'issue'. Which DAP do you have that works better for you by the way?
I have tried several dsds including standalone files and sacd iso. from dsd64 to dsd256. all same.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,218 of 3,181
I don’t understand all the DSD craziness. I have maybe 20 DSD songs. Hardly anything these days new is DSD anymore. I can understand if you like classical music which I do but don’t listen to it very often if at all.

That being said this is by far away the best functioning DAP I own and I think the sound is a matter of preference. I think it sounds very good with my Mest MK2’s. Certainly to my ears better than the R6 2020.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,219 of 3,181
The one I did listen to with this DAP is Diana Krall Live In Paris DSD which could be one of the best recordings ever and it sounded pretty damn good. I had it set to “native” and didn’t have any problems

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,220 of 3,181
I have tried several dsds including standalone files and sacd iso. from dsd64 to dsd256. all same.
Can you perhaps name one or two that I can find and listen to myself? And what specifically are you hearing that you don't enjoy?
I don’t understand all the DSD craziness. I have maybe 20 DSD songs. Hardly anything these days new is DSD anymore. I can understand if you like classical music which I do but don’t listen to it very often if at all.

That being said this is by far away the best functioning DAP I own and I think the sound is a matter of preference. I think it sounds very good with my Mest MK2’s. Certainly to my ears better than the R6 2020.
The DSD debate always comes up when discussing R2R, without fail. Many R2R desktop DACs have one or other issue with DSD, or don't supprt it at all. It's quite funny to see the same thung crop up here, but I do get that DSD devotees are as fanatical about the format as anyone is about anythung else in this hobby. Personally I think the RS6 is an excellent DSD DAP, at leas with the DSDs I've tried and my IEMs. For the record I have well over 200 DSDs in my library.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,221 of 3,181
Can you perhaps name one or two that I can find and listen to myself? And what specifically are you hearing that you don't enjoy?

The DSD debate always comes up when discussing R2R, without fail. Many R2R desktop DACs have one or other issue with DSD, or don't supprt it at all. It's quite funny to see the same thung crop up here, but I do get that DSD devotees are as fanatical about the format as anyone is about anythung else in this hobby. Personally I think the RS6 is an excellent DSD DAP, at leas with the DSDs I've tried and my IEMs. For the record I have well over 200 DSDs in my library.
https://www.discogs.com/release/5681490-Carpenters-The-Singles-1969-1973

this for example. bass cut, treble cut. narrow dynamic range. like 64k mp3. that's it. very obvious.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #1,222 of 3,181
https://www.discogs.com/release/5681490-Carpenters-The-Singles-1969-1973

this for example. bass cut, treble cut. narrow dynamic range. like 64k mp3. that's it. very obvious.
No offense but that recording it over 40 years old. Have you tried it on any other DAP? It didn't sound like 64K mp3 to begin with?

I don't mean to be argumentative as I am just asking questions. Like is discussed previously, there are so many DAP's out there now that you could certainly be happy with another one. Ibasso's DAP are all very good and sound great IMO too. If the new DX240 had a 4.4mm output I may have tried that one too.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,223 of 3,181
No offense but that recording it over 40 years old. Have you tried it on any other DAP? It didn't sound like 64K mp3 to begin with?

I don't mean to be argumentative as I am just asking questions. Like is discussed previously, there are so many DAP's out there now that you could certainly be happy with another one. Ibasso's DAP are all very good and sound great IMO too. If the new DX240 had a 4.4mm output I may have tried that one too.
no. this japanese version sacd sounds very good when being played in fiio m15.

yesterday once more just like was recorded yesterday. crystal clear and good dynamic range.

and my listenability allows me to tell the difference even it's an over 40 years old recording

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,224 of 3,181
Just got my Hiby RS6 yesterday. This is my first R2R DAC and I can say there is a distinct difference than your ESS Sabre DACs. First impressions: Sounds very relaxing, very musical, detail is not shoved into your face. Takes the edge off the sharp leading edges off my dynamic HPs.

Android OS is lighting quick, Hiby EQ is very useful for non-experts.

Also a very competent transport for my desktop DAC. no regrets!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #1,225 of 3,181
Ok, since I have the titles being discussed here, I gave them a listen myself.

I took two tracks off the Carpenters Singles SACD, converted them to flac (so I can play them back as PCM), then played both back-to-back, first as native DSD, then as flac, from local storage. To @Silverlinings comment about recording age, this does hold true, since I have a few other versions of these tracks (Carpenters Gold SACD, Best of Carpenters etc.), and in each case the mastering of the track is slightly different to the version on Singles. That said, as a longtime Carpenters fan, both the tracks I used (We've Only Just Begun and Rainy day and Mondays) I know intimately well, having listened to them dozens of times before for more than 30 years now, and both sound fantastic with the RS6 and IE 900 (which some people liken to an improved Z1R, but that's a different discussion). Excellent bass, for the recording year that is, clean treble, not too bright at all, and Karen's vocals are, as always, sublime, with tiny details in her voice and throat easily discernible). What's more, I can tell very little difference, if any, in the same tracks played back as Hi-Res flac (so using the acual R2R DAC), meaning the DSD playback is not degrafing the quality of these files at all.

RS6Screens.png

I'm not the world's biggest Diana Krall fan (sorry @Silverlinings), in that I appreciate her work and use many of her DSD and hi-res tracks to demo new gear because they're so well made, but I don't regualrly listen to her as much as I do other stuff. That said, I have the Live In Paris SACD/DSD, and without even having to convert to flac, I can immediately tell that playback is of the highest quality. Does it match super high-end DSD-capable DACs? I don't know, but to my ears, I'd happily use this DSD to demo the RS6 with the IE 900 to anyone looking for a high-end portable system for hi-res/hi-fi sound.

Please note: none of the above was done to disparage any of the opinions shared before or deny @littlexx26's or @ScubaDrunk's experiences. Rather, since I had these albums and am very familiar with them, it was useful to play them back for myself with the RS6 to see if my particular unit displayed any of the issues they pointed out, and to the best of my hearing, preferences or opinion it doesn't. This is why I feel it's important to listen to the same music on the same gear when comparing. If you're following the discussion, consider it just another data point.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,226 of 3,181
Ok, since I have the titles being discussed here, I gave them a listen myself.

I took two tracks off the Carpenters Singles SACD, converted them to flac (so I can play them back as PCM), then played both back-to-back, first as native DSD, then as flac, from local storage. To @Silverlinings comment about recording age, this does hold true, since I have a few other versions of these tracks (Carpenters Gold SACD, Best of Carpenters etc.), and in each case the mastering of the track is slightly different to the version on Singles. That said, as a longtime Carpenters fan, both the tracks I used (We've Only Just Begun and Rainy day and Mondays) I know intimately well, having listened to them dozens of times before for more than 30 years now, and both sound fantastic with the RS6 and IE 900 (which some people liken to an improved Z1R, but that's a different discussion). Excellent bass, for the recording year that is, clean treble, not too bright at all, and Karen's vocals are, as always, sublime, with tiny details in her voice and throat easily discernible). What's more, I can tell very little difference, if any, in the same tracks played back as Hi-Res flac (so using the acual R2R DAC), meaning the DSD playback is not degrafing the quality of these files at all.

RS6Screens.png
I'm not the world's biggest Diana Krall fan (sorry @Silverlinings), in that I appreciate her work and use many of her DSD and hi-res tracks to demo new gear because they're so well made, but I don't regualrly listen to her as much as I do other stuff. That said, I have the Live In Paris SACD/DSD, and without even having to convert to flac, I can immediately tell that playback is of the highest quality. Does it match super high-end DSD-capable DACs? I don't know, but to my ears, I'd happily use this DSD to demo the RS6 with the IE 900 to anyone looking for a high-end portable system for hi-res/hi-fi sound.

Please note: none of the above was done to disparage any of the opinions shared before or deny @littlexx26's or @ScubaDrunk's experiences. Rather, since I had these albums and am very familiar with them, it was useful to play them back for myself with the RS6 to see if my particular unit displayed any of the issues they pointed out, and to the best of my hearing, preferences or opinion it doesn't. This is why I feel it's important to listen to the same music on the same gear when comparing. If you're following the discussion, consider it just another data point.
I am not her biggest fan either, but just from a recording and sound standpoint, it's one of the best live recordings and that's the only reason I own it. It's my demo recording and I am a jazz fan in general (along with metal and prog my #1).

And while were on the subject, the link below is another fantastic recorded album that in 24/96 sounds absolutely phenomenal.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/sing-to-the-world-benito-gonzalez/aqpmbdm6qe4nb

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,227 of 3,181
I am not her biggest fan either, but just from a recording and sound standpoint, it's one of the best live recordings and that's the only reason I own it. It's my demo recording and I am a jazz fan in general (along with metal and prog my #1).

And while were on the subject, the link below is another fantastic recorded album that in 24/96 sounds absolutely phenomenal.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/sing-to-the-world-benito-gonzalez/aqpmbdm6qe4nb
Thanks, I'll check it out for sure. Love to have new stuff to demo.

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,230 of 3,181
I kept away from RS6 for 5 days in order to reset my mind and see how I like it.
It bested my WM1A, LPG. As I said before I thought I liked it more than P6, and I'm still happy to stand by it, but I can see why some might like P6 more.

RS6 does wonders with MQA, if MQA want to showcase how MQA suppose to sound like on the go, they need to showcase it with RS6.

I wish I understood the Darwin architecture more. For example, I don't understand why MQA always up samples to maximum multiple of it's base integer when NOS is on.
I don't understand what the maximum resolution it can offer?
USB DAC has more work to be done, I prefer it's onboard sound much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back