HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,741 of 3,181
Ok I've spent some hours with MSEB and Darwin settings, here is my to go preset to use with Traillii:
1. Removed mid-bass and bass pump for more clarity
2. Soften HF sibilance
3. Added more air for better layering
4. Shorten notes thickness to retrieve more details
5. Put a bit of harmonics for edge smoothness and fun

Hope it would be helpful for someone.
Meanwhile I've tried tuning the convolution plugin for the Oriolus Trailli.

1. Download the file onto the RS6, rename its extension from txt to wav.
2. Refer to this post on using wave files with the convolution plugin
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...oid-music-player.958878/page-44#post-16608381

Hello, Joe! If you do have the time for this - it would be really great!
I’ve already found that using MSEB I can significantly tweak the sound to be closer to my preferences as I wrote above.
Convolver plugin could be even more prominent in this I believe.

In general I’m trying to achieve SP2K signature with few important differences:
1. Vocals to remain more forward rather than laid-back
2. While having comparable but a bit lower level of layering - keep sound a bit more dense (and RS6 is really good in it)
3. Add some grain of harmonics to keep sound lush, a tiny bit smooth and analog

... just saw this after I've finished. Let me know your thoughts on the one released, then I'll see about releasing another one.

Attachments

• Oriolus Trailli Alexzander custom (HiBy).txt
    256 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,742 of 3,181
Meanwhile I've tried tuning the convolution plugin for the Oriolus Trailli.

1. Download the file onto the RS6, rename its extension from txt to wav.
2. Refer to this post on using wave files with the convolution plugin
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...oid-music-player.958878/page-44#post-16608381

... just saw this after I've finished. Let me know your thoughts on the one released, then I'll see about releasing another one.
Hello, Joe!

Thank you for working on this. With this .wav applied the sound became much more clearer and layered.
Only thing which would I tune more to my ear is to make a little less bright, as currently highs, especially percussion, could be a bit dry/harsh and bass seem to be by a small grain recessed.
The rest is just awesome - feels like magic 🙂

Also found a bug while streaming tidal through UAPP - once any MQA file started being played, convolution plugin stops working, even if the next track is flac.
Rebooting UAPP seems to help.

And if I understand right - this plugin doesn’t affect DSD playback, unless conversion to PCM is forced?

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,743 of 3,181
Hello, Joe!

Thank you for working on this. With this .wav applied the sound became much more clearer and layered.
Only thing which would I tune more to my ear is to make a little less bright, as currently highs, especially percussion, could be a bit dry/harsh and bass seem to be by a small grain recessed.
The rest is just awesome - feels like magic 🙂

Also found a bug while streaming tidal through UAPP - once any MQA file started being played, convolution plugin stops working, even if the next track is flac.
Rebooting UAPP seems to help.

And if I understand right - this plugin doesn’t affect DSD playback, unless conversion to PCM is forced?
Hi Alexzander,

Will pm regarding your tuning request.

Yes, this would not process DSD played back as DSD--nothing can 🤣

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,744 of 3,181
I've been really impressed by this dap!! I really enjoyed the RU6 dongle and decided I wanted an R2R dap. The sound stage is just amazing, much larger in height and width. There's more space between instruments and more air between notes. It seems to me that acoustic instruments benefit even more than electronic.

I'm new to Android, so it's take a while get used to it being a long-time iPhone user. But I'm still having trouble finding my way around. Is USB DTA something that needs to be switched on? I can't find a setting in the Hiby Music app for bit perfect. Can some one point me in the right direction?

So far I've just been using NOS and the sound is most satisfactory. But there are so many options that will take weeks/months to figure out and master. I realize that there are individual posts that are informative.

Is there one place where each feature is thoroughly described? The manual that comes with it is rather skimpy on details...

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #1,745 of 3,181
I've been really impressed by this dap!! I really enjoyed the RU6 dongle and decided I wanted an R2R dap. The sound stage is just amazing, much larger in height and width. There's more space between instruments and more air between notes. It seems to me that acoustic instruments benefit even more than electronic.

I'm new to Android, so it's take a while get used to it being a long-time iPhone user. But I'm still having trouble finding my way around. Is USB DTA something that needs to be switched on? I can't find a setting in the Hiby Music app for bit perfect. Can some one point me in the right direction?

So far I've just been using NOS and the sound is most satisfactory. But there are so many options that will take weeks/months to figure out and master. I realize that there are individual posts that are informative.

Is there one place where each feature is thoroughly described? The manual that comes with it is rather skimpy on details...

RU6 vs RS6 - how do they compare sound quality wise? Is the RS6 a significant jump in sound quality over the Cayin? Putting aside their different features

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #1,746 of 3,181
Ok it looks like I am getting some headway with getting to the inner workings and customizations available for the Darwin system like an actual member of HiBy 😛

Screenshot_20211215-232633.png

Like uploading my own AA filters to it 😛
Sorry for my incompetence, but when I also get to the DARWIN CONTROLLER section and then LOW PASS ANTIALIASING FILTER SETTING this screen opens to me:

How do I get the screen you posted to me?

Attachments

• 20220102_090016.png
    20220102_090016.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #1,747 of 3,181

DTA is always on where it can be on, HiBy Music is bit perfect by default.

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #1,748 of 3,181

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #1,749 of 3,181
RU6 vs RS6 - how do they compare sound quality wise? Is the RS6 a significant jump in sound quality over the Cayin? Putting aside their different features
I haven't heard RU6, but RS6 has significantly more power, so if you're driving any less sensitive IEMs or headphones, RS6 will likely be a better match.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,750 of 3,181
I haven't heard RU6, but RS6 has significantly more power, so if you're driving any less sensitive IEMs or headphones, RS6 will likely be a better match.
I mostly use IEMs so power is not too important for me. DAC sound quality is

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,751 of 3,181
I have both of them and made a comparison once using Traillii, hope it would be helpful for you:
  1. RS6 has higher dynamic range
  2. RS6 has much better percussion textures quality with more clarity and details in them
  3. RS6 is more layered in highs
  4. RS6 has more punch and it is more dense
  5. Soundstage is almost the same
  6. RS6 bass is more controlled, RU6 bass is more smooth and relaxed
  7. RS6 mids and highs are also more controlled and clear
  8. RU6 upper-highs has some annoying sibilant pick
  9. RU6 has blacker background than RS6 on high gain

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,752 of 3,181
I have both of them and made a comparison once using Traillii, hope it would be helpful for you:
  1. RS6 has higher dynamic range
  2. RS6 has much better percussion textures quality with more clarity and details in them
  3. RS6 is more layered in highs
  4. RS6 has more punch and it is more dense
  5. Soundstage is almost the same
  6. RS6 bass is more controlled, RU6 bass is more smooth and relaxed
  7. RS6 mids and highs are also more controlled and clear
  8. RU6 upper-highs has some annoying sibilant pick
  9. RU6 has blacker background than RS6 on high gain

That's great thank you. RU6 does have a bit of etch at times so it's good to read the RS6 is better in that respect

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #1,753 of 3,181
Does anyone have a chance to compare RS6 vs TOTL Sp2000/T?

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,754 of 3,181
By the time I got back to this thread, there has been several thoughtful, detailed responses. The only thing I'd add: there is a certain sweetness to the RS6 above the RU6, both in NOS mode.
All the recent posts on hacking the Darwin (the downloadables) start here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...id-music-player.958878/page-113#post-16715190
Joe, thanks for posting this. I'm interested in trying this "hack" sometime. For now, I'm just lovin' the NOS mode.

I've been focused on iem's for the last couple of years; they're just so much more comfortable. Just for giggles, I'm trying my HD800S cans. Amazing synergy!! Listening to Neville Marriner's version of The Four Seasons as I type this. So gorgeous I'm almost in tears!! :cry:

I also find great synergy with EE Odin for pop/rock. The RS6 seems to calm down the excitable mid/treble region without loss of presence.

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,755 of 3,181
Does anyone have a chance to compare RS6 vs TOTL Sp2000/T?
Oh it would again be me 😂

I had all 3 of them (sold SP2KT recently).
Coming to the point:
1. SP2K has noticeably higher dynamic range and textures quality across FR. And it is much more cleaner and layered than default tuning of RS6. And it has pure what is called digital sound.
2. SP2KT has more elevated mid-bass, a ton more punchy across FR, but it textures are more dirty/muddy. And it tend to loose more details if you engage more tube in the amp section, while tonality also becoming a bit more tube one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back