HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,726 of 3,181
@Joe Bloggs or anyone - sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find info on it - the MSEB convolution plugin, does it essentially allow for global OS level custom eq if I use some of the existing autoeq presets (or create my own)? I assume it works with any bitrate and through USB dac mode (where the RS6 acts as a dac attached to a computer for example), are there any gotchas?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,727 of 3,181
What do you mean you don't like what you are hearing? Connected to what and relative to what?
Less body, sounds muffled, etc, all connected to LP6 Gold coaxial in. Tested with HUGO first gen, similar result, all compared to RS6 USB which is excellent. Issue is LP6 USB in is limited unlike its coaxial in,

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,728 of 3,181
Less body, sounds muffled, etc, all connected to LP6 Gold coaxial in. Tested with HUGO first gen, similar result, all compared to RS6 USB which is excellent. Issue is LP6 USB in is limited unlike its coaxial in,
I do not hear anything untoward with my cable, to my Metrum Amethyst. Sounds roughly the same as USB. Maybe a smidge better.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #1,729 of 3,181
@Joe Bloggs or anyone - sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find info on it - the MSEB convolution plugin, does it essentially allow for global OS level custom eq if I use some of the existing autoeq presets (or create my own)? I assume it works with any bitrate and through USB dac mode (where the RS6 acts as a dac attached to a computer for example), are there any gotchas?
There's quite a few gotchas actually

It only works at 44.1kHz, or at any sample rate, if you uncheck the "other sample rate bypass", but by resampling to 44.1kHz
It currently only takes 4-way files (for crossfeed / loudspeaker processing), you can make it do plain EQ by having just the one EQed channel and duplicating it to ch4 only, but just making a 4ch sound file is enough to trip over most people 🤐

and I'm still waiting for their bugfix on the convolver where you must leave the first few samples of the wav file silent to avoid glitching

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 27, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,730 of 3,181
There's quite a few gotchas actually

It only works at 44.1kHz, or at any sample rate, if you uncheck the "other sample rate bypass", but by resampling to 44.1kHz
It currently only takes 4-way files (for crossfeed / loudspeaker processing), you can make it do plain EQ by having just the one EQed channel and duplicating it to ch4 only, but just making a 4ch sound file is enough to trip over most people 🤐

and I'm still waiting for their bugfix on the convolver where you must leave the first few samples of the wav file silent to avoid glitching

Oh deer. Ok that might be something I can work with in the interim. I have Sony IERM7 which only needs a narrow q5 -6db at 12khz - I can only hope we will get a proper global PEQ or the convo plugin to be updated.. it seems like such a shame to not have this on this platform which already has such great flexibility with os level plugins and mseb

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,731 of 3,181
Just wondering, when I took the pics to put up my RS6 classified I noticed my box has a typo reads "Resoulution" instead of "Resolution"... :grin:
Am I the only one? (musicteck preorder batch)

IMG_7487.jpg

Someone had too many beers....

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,733 of 3,181
Hello, @Joe Bloggs !
May I ask you to build a preset for Oriolus Traillii?
Would be interesting to get more resolving and layered sound, a little bit more crisp/precise.
Tried to play with MSEB, but was not able to get balanced tuning.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,734 of 3,181
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,735 of 3,181
Hello, @Joe Bloggs !
May I ask you to build a preset for Oriolus Traillii?
Would be interesting to get more resolving and layered sound, a little bit more crisp/precise.
Tried to play with MSEB, but was not able to get balanced tuning.

Hiby doesn't make these custom presets. Upon agreement with IEM manufacturer, they send RS6 to them to make a custom preset. So, it all depends on Oriolus accepting it.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,736 of 3,181
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,738 of 3,181
Ok I've spent some hours with MSEB and Darwin settings, here is my to go preset to use with Traillii:
1. Removed mid-bass and bass pump for more clarity
2. Soften HF sibilance
3. Added more air for better layering
4. Shorten notes thickness to retrieve more details
5. Put a bit of harmonics for edge smoothness and fun

Hope it would be helpful for someone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-121345.png
    Screenshot_20211228-121345.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211228-114939.png
    Screenshot_20211228-114939.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211228-114906.png
    Screenshot_20211228-114906.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #1,739 of 3,181
Hiby doesn't make these custom presets. Upon agreement with IEM manufacturer, they send RS6 to them to make a custom preset. So, it all depends on Oriolus accepting it.
He might be referring to me making a custom convolver preset, which I can do (I'd prefer more interaction with the customer before committing to a tuning though)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,740 of 3,181
He might be referring to me making a custom convolver preset, which I can do (I'd prefer more interaction with the customer before committing to a tuning though)
Hello, Joe! If you do have the time for this - it would be really great!
I’ve already found that using MSEB I can significantly tweak the sound to be closer to my preferences as I wrote above.
Convolver plugin could be even more prominent in this I believe.

In general I’m trying to achieve SP2K signature with few important differences:
1. Vocals to remain more forward rather than laid-back
2. While having comparable but a bit lower level of layering - keep sound a bit more dense (and RS6 is really good in it)
3. Add some grain of harmonics to keep sound lush, a tiny bit smooth and analog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back