HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #1,141 of 1,300
I'm sorry, I didn't post what I meant to, I'll fix that in a moment.

From what I can see on the specs the 4,4mm balanced output is less than expected. The 3,5mm jacks are both 2V which is standard. On a balanced output we expect 4V but it's rated at 3,2V, so it is not the standard line level even when the volume is cranked up all the way.

I have no idea if they can change the output level and add a lineout mode via firmware, but I'm not suprised you get low volumes, since even at 0 dB output from the DAP, it would be underdriving most balanced inputs.

Thanks, yeah I found the original post from Chaotic Angel from Jun/23 (post 1,034) where he provided a screen shot of a Hiby Music chat that Hiby was planning on a future firmware update to include the ability to use 4.4mm bal PO out as LO (via software). Since that post he and another poster were discussing it and it seemed to sometimes work, sometimes not. I'm not 100% sure if a firmware update prior to V1.1 actually provided this update or not. I'll keep trying with mine, maybe I'll get lucky. I just got an A&K PA-10 and putting it through its initial paces and it'd be pretty cool to have its power connected to the RS2 in balanced mode!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,142 of 1,300
For the R6 the output levels are as expected:

1695232498652.png

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,143 of 1,300
I have updated the player to 1.1. I think others have mentioned these issues, but I am posting for @Joe Bloggs for visibility.

Album Artist view only lists all tracks and does not list albums. There is no icon in the corner to switch between all tracks and albums.
Album Artist.JPG

In Artist view, I can switch between all tracks and albums, but in albums, when I click into an album, it displays the tracks in ABC order, not in Track Order.
Artist View.JPG

If I pick an album from the Albums view rather than Artist->album, it correctly shows the album in track order.
Album View.JPG

IMO you do not need to show both Artist and Album Artist. Hiby should have kept format, and then in the settings allow the user to pick either Artist view or Album Artist view.

It would also be great to be able to import m3u playlists rather than only being able to play them through folder view.

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,144 of 1,300
It would also be great to be able to import m3u playlists rather than only being able to play them through folder view.
I use playlists in .m3u8 format, it is displayed as a catalog with tracks, when playing, you can switch modes (repeat, random mode ...). I put playlists in the root and keep tracks in folders by genre\artist\album.

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,145 of 1,300
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,147 of 1,300
I have updated the player to 1.1. I think others have mentioned these issues, but I am posting for @Joe Bloggs for visibility.

Album Artist view only lists all tracks and does not list albums. There is no icon in the corner to switch between all tracks and albums.
Album Artist.JPG

In Artist view, I can switch between all tracks and albums, but in albums, when I click into an album, it displays the tracks in ABC order, not in Track Order.
Artist View.JPG

If I pick an album from the Albums view rather than Artist->album, it correctly shows the album in track order.
Album View.JPG

IMO you do not need to show both Artist and Album Artist. Hiby should have kept format, and then in the settings allow the user to pick either Artist view or Album Artist view.

Same here mate. I wrote an email request to hiby to rectify this issue on their next firmware update.

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #1,152 of 1,300
Try do burn-in around 200 hours then check if the sound quality is better.
I didn't notice any change even after burn-in for more than 300 hours. One thing I noticed that it may require certain degree of warm-up like at least playing one song of 5 minutes for each session probably because of R2R nature. This is one the good player for bright sounding headphone/iems but not very pleasant for dark sounding unless you prefer tweaking its MSEB or equalizer

Oct 20, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,153 of 1,300
The bug in 4.4 LO mode is persist in FW 1.1 (mentioned by other member in previous page) where once BAL the line out launched the vol goes high as where it should be, then next track or if I chose other song the vol decrease (and there is sense of double amping). If I want to use LO I need to relaunch the process.

And yet I am happy with the BAL LO ability it make RS2 more awesome and versatile R2R DAP in the market.

cc @Joe Bloggs and @HiByMusic
hello @HiByMusic any update please on the newest fw?

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,154 of 1,300
Greetings. Apologies for derailing the thread.

Those connecting their RS2s to their smartphones, what phones do you have?

My LG Velvet is in its twilight and I have been frantically looking for something that's not 3+ years old. So far, I've tried the Oneplus 11 and the Lenovo Thinkphone and they do not detect the RS2 regardless of what cable I used (and I have a handful).

Thank you

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,155 of 1,300
Trying a Samsung Galaxy S23FE

It works. connect the RS2 and shift USB control to it.
I'm leaving this as a future reference for head-fiers. Thanks Samsung.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back