HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,686 of 3,161
Any reason behind?
How did you find it with the Empyrean?
I apologize for the delay in responding. I got pulled away from the keyboard for the day. I tend to collect DAPs that interest me and do direct comparisons. I have followed HiBy since their initial R6 release (which I still have). But I also like iBasso. So I got the R8 and the DX300 to see which I preferred. I also got the HiBy 4.4mm impedance adapter to use on the R8 to keep hiss down on any sensitive iem's or headphones (I am very sensitive to hiss). I started listening to both using the Empyreans exclusively so I didn't need the impedance adapter.

With the R8, I found that the best sound with the Empyreans was with turbo setting turned on. It makes the sound more dynamic and musical and I could use turbo with either low or medium gain and make the Empyreans sing. The R8 does get warm fast with turbo on (the DX300 stays relatively cooler).
I was going to stick with the R8 until iBasso released the Amp12 module which puts air and separation between the instruments that the R8 doesn't (without using the MSEB settings). I just found the DX300 with Amp12 to be more to my liking.

I believe that with time and tweaking of the MSEB settings, I could get the R8 sound to where I like it. I'm just not a settings tweaker.

As far as software, the R8 is head and shoulders above the DX300. HiBy's app is excellent and it's so easy to add other apps. iBasso's Mango OS player with the Amp12 just sounds fantastic to me out of the box, but it has issues with building (and keeping) playlists. It was the Amp12 card's sound that convinced me to keep the iBasso. But I will miss the R8's power and stability. Hope this helps...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,689 of 3,161
Sorry to burst your bubble but R8 and M8 will be redundant the next time a new flagship android will be available...
Hence not long time ago N8,1z, lpgt, dx max,sp2k where top dogs now people are all jumping on new daps.... And forget the previous ones. Does that mean they are worst or underperformant? No.

Why sony releases daps every 5 years and all chinese daps every year?
Every year you have a new dap in each category in chinese daps realm...

So be ready for a new R8 successor next year same for M8 and Cayin.

I will say the worst one is fiio lol almost feels like they do a mew one every 6months?
Ibasso is also quick on their legs and make one new regular dx each year....
I slightly feel hiby done the same last few years.

I only now got my interest into R8 and M8 as this is their first steps getting into serious closer to flagship territory game. I am sure they will catch up and next flagship androids will finally be like a real flagship dap. For now I see R8 and M8 as a very high end mid high dap im between mid and flagship.

Also I think there is war being going on with competition. Ibasso and fiio are always competing. Shanling they follow their own path a little but dont have the same popularity as fiio and ibasso.
Cayin got striked by competition hard, no one looking at N8 and n6ii got over throned hard as R8 and M8 simply are leaps a head...
Now cayin need a new dap release to compete those 2 as I feel the n6ii was a dap to compete against dx220...

There is fiio m15 and now that fiio is being quiet for some time waiting to see what competition is releasing they will slam a new dap release to beat them....
See this is a war going on lol and what will fiio implement new in the new flagship dap? There is no new akm... Will they go ess sabre now? Surprise surprise.... But they have to impress and make us run and buy the new dap right?
Sorry, replying to a really old post on this thread, but I do not feel this is objectively true. What do you mean by redundant? In audio, nothing that sounds great is redundant. These are not phones or computers, they aren't purchased for connectivity speeds, RAM, CPU, gaming, multi tasking. A great sounding DAP will be great sounding until something better comes along and it is STILL great sounding.

To draw a parallel, I bought a pair of KRK E8B monitors 7 years back. Even 7 years henceforth (if they are still alive), they will still sound great...

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,690 of 3,161
Sorry, replying to a really old post on this thread, but I do not feel this is objectively true. What do you mean by redundant? In audio, nothing that sounds great is redundant. These are not phones or computers, they aren't purchased for connectivity speeds, RAM, CPU, gaming, multi tasking. A great sounding DAP will be great sounding until something better comes along and it is STILL great sounding.

To draw a parallel, I bought a pair of KRK E8B monitors 7 years back. Even 7 years henceforth (if they are still alive), they will still sound great...
Both are true. Within a year or two the R8 will feel as dated as the M8 does now, with a slower, older version of Android and possible incompatability with newer apps and services. Especially when compared to future, faster DAPs with a more current Android version and faster SoC.

That said, if you like how the R8 and M8 sound today, and mainly use basic apps and local files, then the R8 and M8 will continue to sound just as good in 2, 4, even 8 years' time, assuming you can pop in a new battery when the old one dies.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,691 of 3,161
Hiby team was pretty clear on battery replacement when I sent them a message - $50 to replace the battery when the time comes. I plan to keep the R8 for a long time.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,692 of 3,161
Hiby team was pretty clear on battery replacement when I sent them a message - $50 to replace the battery when the time comes. I plan to keep the R8 for a long time.
That's really good to know, thanks 👍🏻 Except they've already announced the RS series, so the R8's time has probably started ticking.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,693 of 3,161
I’ve been pondering over the r8 or m8 for months. I think I’m going to order a r8 from Andrew tomorrow. I own several iems but my favourite is the lx and I’ve read the r8 is a better match for it. Also the r8 is on a newer version of android.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #2,694 of 3,161
That's really good to know, thanks 👍🏻 Except they've already announced the RS series, so the R8's time has probably started ticking.
Is the RS series R2R? I haven’t been able to find too much about this yet.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #2,695 of 3,161

I think more "public" info is coming soon, Hong Kong AV show is in 2 weeks.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #2,696 of 3,161
Not sure, either that or some form of FPGA tech like Chord. Exciting either way. No leaks or additional info that I can find, and I don't have anything on @twister6 to get him to talk. 😝

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,697 of 3,161
1627146659778.png

just found in internet..

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,700 of 3,161
I have an lx which I’ve read sounds great with the r8. Anybody know if the elysium has good synergy with it? I know it fits with the m8 but I doubt my lx sounds good with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back