HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #2,717 of 3,161
I listen to Tidal on my R8. I have some playlists downloaded to an SD card so I can just play music without the need to go online. I have a problem today though. Although I suspect that this is a Tidal issue as opposed to an R8 issue, I’ll mention it here just in case there is someone else who has experienced this and knows how to fix it.

So with internet switched off I click on ‘my collection’ on tidal and then I click on ’downloaded’ to access the SD card content on the R8. Today though it would only play from my downloaded content if I was online. Once I switched to offline a pink sign came up on screen that says, ‘There was a connection problem - Retry’. Clicking on Retry though does nothing while I’m offline. If I click on ‘offline mode’ on Tidal, where only downloaded content is available, I then notice that when I go back to my playlist all of the songs are greyed out. When I click on a song a message says ‘This track is not available offline’. So although the content of my playlist is still visible on screen when I’m offline, I can’t actually play my playlist without being connected to the internet.

Has anyone else had this issue recently?

Im not sure if I might need to delete this playlist from the SD card and then download it again to see if that works. Incidentally, my SD card has other music on it which I play on the R8 via the Hiby music app and that’s fine and so I don’t think it is the card.

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,718 of 3,161
I listen to Tidal on my R8. I have some playlists downloaded to an SD card so I can just play music without the need to go online. I have a problem today though. Although I suspect that this is a Tidal issue as opposed to an R8 issue, I’ll mention it here just in case there is someone else who has experienced this and knows how to fix it.

So with internet switched off I click on ‘my collection’ on tidal and then I click on ’downloaded’ to access the SD card content on the R8. Today though it would only play from my downloaded content if I was online. Once I switched to offline a pink sign came up on screen that says, ‘There was a connection problem - Retry’. Clicking on Retry though does nothing while I’m offline. If I click on ‘offline mode’ on Tidal, where only downloaded content is available, I then notice that when I go back to my playlist all of the songs are greyed out. When I click on a song a message says ‘This track is not available offline’. So although the content of my playlist is still visible on screen when I’m offline, I can’t actually play my playlist without being connected to the internet.

Has anyone else had this issue recently?

Im not sure if I might need to delete this playlist from the SD card and then download it again to see if that works. Incidentally, my SD card has other music on it which I play on the R8 via the Hiby music app and that’s fine and so I don’t think it is the card.
I also experienced this recently on my iPhone and thus suspect it’s a Tidal issue. I had to delete the downloaded content and then redownload. Now I can go offline and listen.

I didn’t try it on the R8 though. Hopefully the same “fix” works there.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,719 of 3,161
In my experience, offline content needs to be played once in a while, while online, in order to be available when offline. So a recently downloaded album will be playable, but an album you downloaded some time ago and haven't listened to since, will not, unless you go online.

And yes, sometimes the redownloading is required. Tidal sometimes deletes an album from their catalog and replaces it with a seemingly identical version, making the one you downloaded unplayable.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,720 of 3,161
Thanks @xenithon and @MatW , I’ve deleted my playlist and I’m going to download it fresh and see if that fixes the problem.

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,721 of 3,161
Thanks @xenithon and @MatW , I’ve deleted my playlist and I’m going to download it fresh and see if that fixes the problem.
I had recently something very similar on my both DAPs, R8 and DX300MAX. Reason for problem was (as I found later) many albums I had downloaded before Tidal updated to MQA versions, so, my solution was the same as suggested above: delete old downloads and download again updated albums.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,722 of 3,161
I had recently something very similar on my both DAPs, R8 and DX300MAX. Reason for problem was (as I found later) many albums I had downloaded before Tidal updated to MQA versions, so, my solution was the same as suggested above: delete old downloads and download again updated albums.
I’ve deleted my playlist and then downloaded it again and it seems to be working fine now. Thinking about it, there was a Tidal update the other day that I loaded on the app and my issue seemed to start after that. I guess that may have affected something. It looks likes it’s fixed now though.

Oct 10, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,723 of 3,161
The internal dac in the R8 is crazy good.

I was trying a McIntosh MHA200 with a T+A Solitaire P and my Empyrean in a shop. I liked the sound most from the R8 among all the dac's on the picture (plus Burson C3XR pre out). The bass went deepest, and it was the most organic.

mha200-tasolip-r8.jpg
mha200-empy-r8.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,724 of 3,161
Hello everyone, am new to this thread. I have been on the Cayin N6ii A01 and am very much tempted to make the shift over to the R8. I understand the R8 needs some breaking in due to its components. Is it recommended to do this burn-in? If so, any advice on how to go about doing this? What tracks/tools to use and the number of hours etc? Thank you in advance for any help or advice on this guys.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,725 of 3,161
Hello everyone, am new to this thread. I have been on the Cayin N6ii A01 and am very much tempted to make the shift over to the R8. I understand the R8 needs some breaking in due to its components. Is it recommended to do this burn-in? If so, any advice on how to go about doing this? What tracks/tools to use and the number of hours etc? Thank you in advance for any help or advice on this guys.
Hi, just plug it in to power and let it play Tidal or your music card library on repeat for 3 days. Just be sure to plug in some IEMs or headphones. Good luck.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,726 of 3,161
Hi, just plug it in to power and let it play Tidal or your music card library on repeat for 3 days. Just be sure to plug in some IEMs or headphones. Good luck.
Great! Thank you for the advice, shall follow suit. However, are there any specific tracks to play on repeat mode? My IEM is the VE6x1. How about the volume at which to play?

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #2,727 of 3,161
Great! Thank you for the advice, shall follow suit. However, are there any specific tracks to play on repeat mode? My IEM is the VE6x1. How about the volume at which to play?
Makes no difference when you're burning in a DAP, and you can set volume fairly low since you're not burning in the IEMs.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #2,729 of 3,161
I also went from Cayin N6ii A01 (& E02) to the Hiby R8. I do hope that you enjoy it if you decide to buy it.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #2,730 of 3,161
I also went from Cayin N6ii A01 (& E02) to the Hiby R8. I do hope that you enjoy it if you decide to buy it.
@Deferenz - I don’t own either DAP and am weighing pros and cons between these 2. One of the big pros for R8 for me is system-wide MSEB, but the modular nature of the N6ii has a lot of appeal in terms of flexibility. What have you enjoyed (or otherwise) after you moved from the N6ii to R8 and how would you compare them- I realize SQ is a bit difficult due to the varying N6ii modules -but I guess compared to those you owned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back