HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,656 of 3,161
All three of those IEMs are >16ohms (Anole 15-19). No surprises there. Hence my note about context, above.

Yep, higher driving voltage (power) and lower impedance are the contributing factors with some of these iems. And to resolve the issue we use iEMatch which a) like a voltage divider lowers the output (thus you have to raise the volume to compensate for it), b) changes the impedance of IEMs because resistors of the adapter are now in series with crossover inside iems.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,657 of 3,161
One thing R8 does fall behind other Daps with is RFI sensitivity. It picks up my phones interference while being not far away on a desk. But again nothing silly if you dont keep phone and a dap in a same pocket.

Ouch that must hurt if you actually manage that lol

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,659 of 3,161
Hate to say it, but the feedback with these uniquely sensitive IEMs really hurts the value of this unit. I wouldn’t trade mine for the world, but if I had read this feedback before my purchase, I would have thought twice.
Still unclear on whether some units are bad or all units have this issue. Also not sure If some folks have their units on high gain turbo when checking for this.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,660 of 3,161
Hate to say it, but the feedback with these uniquely sensitive IEMs really hurts the value of this unit. I wouldn’t trade mine for the world, but if I had read this feedback before my purchase, I would have thought twice.
Still unclear on whether some units are bad or all units have this issue. Also not sure If some folks have their units on high gain turbo when checking for this.
I agree, perception is reality in these parts. That's why I try counterbalance the negatives with positive feedback where I can, considering that on the whole the R8 is still one of the best DAPs on the market, if not the best in its price class. That's just my opinion, but I could easily have sold my R8 and opted for one of the cheaper options of I thought they were better.

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,661 of 3,161
I‘m really happy with my R8 and I do not have any hiss issues. Whether this is down to my hearing, the IEM’s I use, or the fact that my unit loves me enough not to hiss 😀 I don’t know. In case it matters here are the IEM’s I have used with the R8:

Trio, Legend X, Odin, MAD24, MAD16, MAD10, Ra21-c, Billie Jean

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,663 of 3,161
Hiby R8 seems to be gone from all stores at the moment. Maybe there is a successor coming?

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,664 of 3,161
Hiby R8 seems to be gone from all stores at the moment. Maybe there is a successor coming?
Hmm, that would be interesting. Haven't heard any rumours though, and doubt a flagship successor would appear after only a year. More likely a temporary parts shortage, considering the AKM factory fire and discontinued AK4497 DAC, but let's see.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,665 of 3,161
Yup. Andrew is a legend :) But I ain’t never gonna love that damn wheel. Each to his own! Respect. Cheers
Andrew is awesome! I plan to order a LPGT from him when I get the cash.

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2,666 of 3,161
I've been rocking the R8 Stainless Steel with the beta of Apple Music high res and it works seamlessly. High res songs sample switch and I can stream high res audio even on the go.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #2,668 of 3,161
Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 10.10.45.png

Has HiBy silently 'revised' the R8? Seems they've taken the RAM and storage of the 4G model and made it available as a 'new' version of the R8, with a higher price tag of course. Considering they sold the 4G stainless steel version with the same specs for the same price, that's a bit of a cheek if you ask me, especially if this is a quiet revision and the 'old' 4GB/64GB model is no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back