HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #212 of 3,161
She wants to make a call but she couldn't. I studied the all official specs and descriptions, R8 can only use the 4G sim card for data flow, not voice call & sms. What a pity!
Almost an iPad, but not an iPad...

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #213 of 3,161
I don't think they are even being produced right now. I think FiiO is already using leftover stocks. And as far as I know (read it somewhere on Facebook), Hiby also got the processors from a 3rd party.

Unfortunately in this tiny market size, there is not much alternative. And FiiO is the most well known and selling new brand in portable audio world and they are in this state.

In recent 4-5 years, I have only seen one person that is using an extra device (a FiiO HP amp) for listening to music at work. Previously MP3 player thing was a special thing, like iPod etc., but it is not anymore. These days 99% of people that buy special gadgets for listening to music buy wireless IEMs or HPs but no cable connected players. Even LG v series. I have not seen a single person using an LG v around me, other than me and my wife.

So we really are tiny a minority, and the market size especially for the high end devices, is extremely small.

Agree. It's a tiny niche market. However, what can the producers do? Innovation never ends and better products are developed to benefits the tiny group of audiophiles.

For me, R8 means portable for men only... too big to take it...

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #214 of 3,161
It sounds very interesting specs which will allow us to be free at home to sit where we want inside or outside with some power hungry headphones like Heddphone.

Then it's a good news too, to be able to use an external DAC (like Topping D90 + A90 or a THX 887amp) and still be able to power the Hiby-R8 with a dedicated Power input (I can't do it with the R6Pro which limits the use of an external DAC with Neutron Player).

And of course, it's much more versatile than astell&kern kann cube, as we get a full android version and can use the official playstore to download some of the best DLNA renderer with a full 20 bands (if useful) PEQ like the Neutron Player.

Even the Dx220 max seems not as versatile as this Hiby R8. It's probably a new generation of TOTL portable player.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #217 of 3,161
I think the R8 at $ 1800 is not worth it, no matter how good it is, but whoever can buy it, I suppose will invest in happiness, nothing but happiness!

1800$ seems to be for the "cheap" version ... the complete version seems to be over 2100$ .

On my side, for a good Heddphone, I am already over 2000$ for a good DAP (1200$) + 1 to 2W Portable Amp (850$) + a good low capacitance Balanced 4.4mm cable (150$) => I couldn't find a cheaper way if I wanted some freedom at home to listen music where I want too living room, sleeping room, desk .. even a place where we are usually alone for a moment :scream:..

A Hiby R8 should be more convenient for even less expensive, even if it's not a bargain, but pricing seems consistent.
I won't buy it now, but I would probably have chosen it, if it was available last December.

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #218 of 3,161
I have moved from R6 pro to Sony 507

So I have new DAP requirements

Shirt pocket fit & lightweight.

Large screen would be great.

Something thin but wide for a big screen and lightweight.

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #220 of 3,161
I have moved from R6 pro to Sony 507

So I have new DAP requirements

Shirt pocket fit & lightweight.

Large screen would be great.

Something thin but wide for a big screen and lightweight.

I own and used a lot a Sony WM1A ... but Sony are definitely too limited in too many points to be used at home (outside it's OK) :
-> Internal Amp power is far from sufficient to power Headphones like Heddphone or even the Z7M2 with some DSD.
-> Impossible to use an external DAC or AMP with a USB Station or even a good spdif .. I use the 4.4mm output to be connected to a THX887.
->Bluetooth in LDAC output mode is incompatible with DAC function (when connected to my notebook or Iphone).
->Only one micro SD (I use more or less 1.5TB of DSD and Flac)

Some points may have been corrected with the Android 507 ... but It's already behind my R6 or my new Fiio M11 versatility and it seems to be even farther than the new R8 with those specs.

I had a good time with Sony's WM1A DAP and Z7M2 Headphone, after 2 years using them I started to go further.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #221 of 3,161
What is HiBy R8's. x16 fold MQA?

The R6 says it has full x8. Full, can there be more than full?

11225633.jpg

Screenshot_20200606-180733633.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #222 of 3,161
What is HiBy R8's. x16 fold MQA? The R6 says it has full x8. Full, can there be more than full?
this also caught my attention, and i don't think such a thing as a 16x MQA unfold exists. My understanding:
- 1st unfold (2x): 44.1kHz -> 88.2kHz
- 2nd unfold (4x): -> 176.4kHz
- 3rd unfold (8x): -> 352.8kHz
(or similarly starting with 48kHz -> 96kHz -> 192kHz -> 384kHz)
The 4th unfold (16x) to 705.6kHz (or 768kHz) is not something that MQA supports according to https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/319.html:
"X-SABRE PRO(MQA) can support the Master Quality Authenticated coding technology [...] which can decode the MQA audio stream up to 24 Bit 384kHz. [...] Meanwhile, X-SABRE Pro also can support DSD1024 and PCM audio stream up to 32Bit/768kHz sampling rate."
(Different DAC, but helpfully explicit on MQA.)

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #224 of 3,161
Tolerable once a lot of stuff is switched off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back