HiBy R8 User Impressions
May 31, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #196 of 3,161
.For those who care, also certified Android 9.0 from the start. High quality passive components.

So far, looks like Hiby did their homework with the most feature complete DAP ever, with most powerful SoC and recent OS. Now, let's wait for the sound.

Android 9.0 means Wavelet will be compatible for AutoEQ database integration and easy correcting of headphones!

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #198 of 3,161
In recent 4-5 years, I have only seen one person that is using an extra device (a FiiO HP amp) for listening to music at work. Previously MP3 player thing was a special thing, like iPod etc., but it is not anymore. These days 99% of people that buy special gadgets for listening to music buy wireless IEMs or HPs but no cable connected players. Even LG v series. I have not seen a single person using an LG v around me, other than me and my wife.

So we really are tiny a minority, and the market size especially for the high end devices, is extremely small.

Indeed.
For the past 10 years , i never saw a dap user in public transport, with power hungry open headphone , IEM or custom cable.
All i see is Air Pod , Bose , Sony , Marshall, basic earphone sold with smartphone ... Dap users , where are you ???

I don't think that it will be an issue at least for 2 - 3 years. Being out of production is one thing (and that will not be the case soon - X7 II is out of production but after 3 years still available for sale), being supported, receiving updates and repairs is another thing. Especially for such a flagship player, M15.

Being stuck with Android 7 will become an issue at some point.

Android fragmentation is an issue for Google , so Android 5 won't be the minimum requierement forever ...

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #200 of 3,161
I wonder why the version aimed for portable use with 4G is the one they made the heaviest (stainless steel) it weighs way more than a Sony WM1Z. Also you would usually want a stainless steel one to be stainless steel colour. They are both black ? May as well be both Alloy. Bizarre but anyhow, looking forward to hearing one.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #201 of 3,161
I wonder why the version aimed for portable use with 4G is the one they made the heaviest (stainless steel) it weighs way more than a Sony WM1Z. Also you would usually want a stainless steel one to be stainless steel colour. They are both black ? May as well be both Alloy. Bizarre but anyhow, looking forward to hearing one.

I frankly still don't fully get the idea of heaving mobile provider based connection on a music player. If I want to listen to high quality audio, I would be streaming FLACs, and each album is 300 to 350 MBs, meaning for 3 albums per day, you would spend 1 GB. If you would do that everyday taking to the office (about 20 working days), you would need at least about 16 GB (rounded) data for your subscription.

In order to overcome this problem I would do offline storage of my music files. But if I can do that, I can also download most of my music at home, and download anything else I have forgotten using my mobile phone as a mobile hotspot, download what I am missing and than turn it off.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #202 of 3,161
I frankly still don't fully get the idea of heaving mobile provider based connection on a music player. If I want to listen to high quality audio, I would be streaming FLACs, and each album is 300 to 350 MBs, meaning for 3 albums per day, you would spend 1 GB. If you would do that everyday taking to the office (about 20 working days), you would need at least about 16 GB (rounded) data for your subscription.

In order to overcome this problem I would do offline storage of my music files. But if I can do that, I can also download most of my music at home, and download anything else I have forgotten using my mobile phone as a mobile hotspot, download what I am missing and than turn it off.

Maybe this picture will clear things for You. She's making a call :)

FB_IMG_1591029791326.jpg

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #207 of 3,161
Dap users , where are you ???
Maybe we are treatened species going into extintion due to increasingly better mini dac/amp, bluetooth and crazy prices of good DAPs?

Sad but true :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #208 of 3,161
Maybe we are treatened species going into extintion due to increasingly better mini dac/amp, bluetooth and crazy prices of good DAPs?

Sad but true :)

We are ghosts stuck in the servers of HeadFi, maybe, and we don't know that yet. :p

Plus face recognition, although you need to do a scan wearing each set of cans you own :D

I would prefer ear recognition. :p

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #209 of 3,161

In some country , this is not an issue.
For example , in France , 100 Go / month = 20 € (also free calls and free SMS) .

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #210 of 3,161
In some country , this is not an issue.
For example , in France , 100 Go / month = 20 € (also free calls and free SMS) .

You might be right, it could be a useful feature for someone that wants to pay extra, but I guess for most customers of DAPs, it would be the last thing in the requirements list. Those that would make use of it, they have an option now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back