HiBy R8 User Impressions
May 28, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #181 of 3,161
The 660 SoC is pretty decent for a DAP, with 4xA53 and 4xA73 based cores, that can run @ 2.2 GHz max. I am even surprised that they were able to lay their hands on such a controller. For those that do not understand why I say that, I would recommend to read the posts from FiiO / James, for example about the screen and SoC of M15:

https://www.facebook.com/chung.james.92/posts/2992394467535269
https://www.facebook.com/chung.james.92/posts/2986974091410640

Both the screen and SoC of the M15 will be out of production by the end of the year , which mean no more M11 / M11 Pro / M15 after that ... And of course, no more support .

But you won't see any official communication by FiiO about this.

May 28, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #183 of 3,161
this is currently the most exciting DAP, no doubt! ... and there is room for improvement with 2xAK4499 in an R8 Pro :wink:

it seems that only the larger model has 4G.
I agree. I think within a year we'll see the R8 Pro with dual AK4499, even more power, Android 10, and more RAM/storage for the same launch price as the R8, with the R8 dropping to <$1500. It's a good strategy too. If they manage to nail the SQ HiBy may just leapfrog all the others to top spot in the DAP market.

Also remember that with these specs and so-called Turbo Mode, the R8 is potentially a full desktop replacement, not just a DAP for IEMs. I'm not upgrading from the R6 Pro anytime soon, but very much looking forward to the reviews on this.

May 28, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #184 of 3,161
I don't think this is really a portable DAP. One is over 400g and the other is over 500g, and both has nearly the size of a KANN Cube. SS model is even heavier than Cube. The size is 143 x 81 x 20, and the "transportable" giant DX220 Max is 144 x 84 x 27. If you add the case it will be even bigger. M15 is 300g and 134 x 75 x 18, and it is on the bigger and heavier side of the spectrum.

I don't think AK4499 is really a requirement, especially for a portable device. But if the consumers are doing some unnecessary demands and bash products over not having the latest and greatest desktop or smartphone component in a portable player, you can't blame the companies.

May 28, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #185 of 3,161
Both the screen and SoC of the M15 will be out of production by the end of the year , which mean no more M11 / M11 Pro / M15 after that ... And of course, no more support .

It's true. Does this mean that Hiby R8 will experience the same thing very soon? No after-sales support after main accessories are out of stock?

May 28, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #186 of 3,161
HiBy is famous for their software first and their hardware second.

I'd bet on HiBy support over a FiiO or other products.

May 28, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #187 of 3,161
While I am not in the market for a DAP today (still happy with my R6 Pro, and even my LG v30) the R8 announcement is still very exciting to me. Today’s over-the-top high end model will drive features and performance for tomorrow’s mid-tier models. I wish HiBy great technical and commercial success with the R8 and that HiBy will drive the tech into more mainstream models in the future!

May 28, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #188 of 3,161
I don't think this is really a portable DAP. One is over 400g and the other is over 500g, and both has nearly the size of a KANN Cube. SS model is even heavier than Cube. The size is 143 x 81 x 20, and the "transportable" giant DX220 Max is 144 x 84 x 27. If you add the case it will be even bigger. M15 is 300g and 134 x 75 x 18, and it is on the bigger and heavier side of the spectrum.

I don't think AK4499 is really a requirement, especially for a portable device. But if the consumers are doing some unnecessary demands and bash products over not having the latest and greatest desktop or smartphone component in a portable player, you can't blame the companies.

I did not realize it was so big. Guess it's more transportable than portable.

May 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #189 of 3,161
Without a belt on, these daps will pants you.

May 29, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #190 of 3,161

I don't think they are even being produced right now. I think FiiO is already using leftover stocks. And as far as I know (read it somewhere on Facebook), Hiby also got the processors from a 3rd party.

Unfortunately in this tiny market size, there is not much alternative. And FiiO is the most well known and selling new brand in portable audio world and they are in this state.

In recent 4-5 years, I have only seen one person that is using an extra device (a FiiO HP amp) for listening to music at work. Previously MP3 player thing was a special thing, like iPod etc., but it is not anymore. These days 99% of people that buy special gadgets for listening to music buy wireless IEMs or HPs but no cable connected players. Even LG v series. I have not seen a single person using an LG v around me, other than me and my wife.

So we really are tiny a minority, and the market size especially for the high end devices, is extremely small.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #191 of 3,161

Over at the Fiio M15 thread there's a long post by Fiio about the screen situation.

May 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #192 of 3,161
Over at the Fiio M15 thread there's a long post by Fiio about the screen situation.
I am a FIIO user/client of several products, incl. M15. FIIO leaves me a very good impression in terms of their product sound/price result, customer service and close to end-customer attitude. I hope the out-of-stock would not be an issue for all M15 owners. And of course, looking forward to a more powerful portable MP3 than R8.

May 30, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #193 of 3,161
I am a FIIO user/client of several products, incl. M15. FIIO leaves me a very good impression in terms of their product sound/price result, customer service and close to end-customer attitude. I hope the out-of-stock would not be an issue for all M15 owners. And of course, looking forward to a more powerful portable MP3 than R8.

I don't think that it will be an issue at least for 2 - 3 years. Being out of production is one thing (and that will not be the case soon - X7 II is out of production but after 3 years still available for sale), being supported, receiving updates and repairs is another thing. Especially for such a flagship player, M15.

I actually like the feature set of R8 but I don't see it replacing my M15 as a portable player, especially because of the size, weight, placement of the outputs and the volume control. M15 has all the output ports on top and also the volume control, which makes it much easier to carry around in your pocket or change the volume without taking it out. I really like the design of M15.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #194 of 3,161
I don't think that it will be an issue at least for 2 - 3 years. Being out of production is one thing (and that will not be the case soon - X7 II is out of production but after 3 years still available for sale), being supported, receiving updates and repairs is another thing. Especially for such a flagship player, M15.

I actually like the feature set of R8 but I don't see it replacing my M15 as a portable player, especially because of the size, weight, placement of the outputs and the volume control. M15 has all the output ports on top and also the volume control, which makes it much easier to carry around in your pocket or change the volume without taking it out. I really like the design of M15.
I agree, I think the R8 is positioned more as a transportable/desktop alternative dap.

May 30, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #195 of 3,161

Yeah Dargin, M15 is a very outstanding MP3 player with a reasonable price. I hope new R8 overall performance can match its price. And better market competition will bring better products & services for users like us.

Cheers from Shanghai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back