HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #230 of 3,161
R8 is available in China now. But I cancelled my booking simply coz the retail price is too high (around USD2300 with 4G version) and the 4G doesn't make any senses.

:astonished::astonished::astonished: I want the 4G version, so I can stream without having to hotspot, but my goodness $2300 is just crazy. I want to spend on a totl DAP, but the ibasso max is too slow, and the R8 is far too overpriced. Oh well.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #231 of 3,161
Why Hiby is putting on the same side of the R8 inputs and outputs ?
No chance any more to use a dock for power and spdif/line out/4.4mm to an external amp or headphone.
I thought only Fiio was doing this like M9 and M11 Iown and Hiby was more clever like with the R6 pro (bottom USB-C and outputs on the top.
At least Fiio seems now to make a new USB-C dock with a power input and a second USB-C (for output or data Input by selector).
the ibasso Dx220 max has inputs (Power/USB-C) on bottom and outputs on top, much better.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #232 of 3,161
:astonished::astonished::astonished: I want the 4G version, so I can stream without having to hotspot, but my goodness $2300 is just crazy. I want to spend on a totl DAP, but the ibasso max is too slow, and the R8 is far too overpriced. Oh well.

Very true. If Hiby had a better price strategy, to set up the retail price at USD1500, R8 will really boost its sales. Now as far as I know, there are no more than 10 friends placed the order of this USD2300 baby. Whilst, over 100 friends ordered FiiO M15 (USD1300) instead.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #233 of 3,161
1500 $ is still to much , it's more expensive than a flaship smartphone + USB-C dongle .
Same thing occured with Onkyo Granbeat , which was already 4G compatible , but sold at an unrealistic price (more than 900 $ at the time ! ) .
You could have some LeTV devices , ZTE (Axon 7) , LG's and Vivo's for more than half the price.
The ratio cost / performance is the main reason why these type of device remain a shadow market.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #234 of 3,161
1500 $ is still to much , it's more expensive than a flaship smartphone + USB-C dongle .
Same thing occured with Onkyo Granbeat , which was already 4G compatible , but sold at an unrealistic price (more than 900 $ at the time ! ) .
You could have some LeTV devices , ZTE (Axon 7) , LG's and Vivo's for more than half the price.
The ratio cost / performance is the main reason why these type of device remain a shadow market.

... USB dongle ? Almost none of my headphones are moving with the Dragon fly Cobalt I bought (Z7M2, KS-H04, Hedd, .. ) and I am still looking for the balanced output on USB DAC's.. Does it exist somewhere ?

And I own a Hiby r6pro, Fiio M11&M9, Sony WMA1 => none of them can move headpones like the Hedd on balanced output => I am still obliged to try to buy a Centrance M8 v2 to hope, that I can move my Heddphone and be free in my home to seat where I want
I was hoping the WOO WA11, would do it... but it's even twice more expansive, I bought a Xduuo X05plus =>no balanced output and still only 1W available which can be short quite often (Better than nothing).

Actually, I can't find anything for less than 1500$ with enough power and a good DAC portable and usable with good headphones .. not IEM ..

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #235 of 3,161
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #236 of 3,161
And I own a Hiby r6pro, Fiio M11&M9, Sony WMA1 => none of them can move headpones like the Hedd on balanced output

You travel with your HEDD (Bus, Plane ,Train ...) ?

Otherwise , a sedentary solution would be better ... And cheaper.

... USB dongle ? Almost none of my headphones are moving with the Dragon fly Cobalt I bought (Z7M2, KS-H04, Hedd, .. ) and I am still looking for the balanced output on USB DAC's.. Does it exist somewhere ?

E1DA 9038S Gen 3 ?

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #237 of 3,161
You travel with your HEDD (Bus, Plane ,Train ...) ?

Otherwise , a sedentary solution would be better ... And cheaper.

I have it with a M500+THX887 (for 800€ without dlna reader) .. But I don't like to be stuck to one seat in my own home !!
I use my heddphone near the sedentary place when I work, but I enjoy my freedom also to be outdoor seating on my balcony, or anywhere in the living room in a deep armchair, lying down in my room..
Then for holidays, it would be nice to take the heddphone their too ..

I won't buy it ... I just say it would not be really expansive if it was 1500$ !! I don't have any idea of another way to go even at home for so cheap.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #238 of 3,161
Very true. If Hiby had a better price strategy, to set up the retail price at USD1500, R8 will really boost its sales. Now as far as I know, there are no more than 10 friends placed the order of this USD2300 baby. Whilst, over 100 friends ordered FiiO M15 (USD1300) instead.
That's a lot of friends you have, mind introducing me to a few of them?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #239 of 3,161
Jun 19, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #240 of 3,161
is anyone expecting a delivery of an R8 anytime soon??

Had one a week, it is an unbelievable sounding *endgame dap. I don't think i'm aloud to say comparisons since headfi changed my status to a member of the trade (for not doing mods for free :/ )

*endgame in audio is around 2 months :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back