HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #46 of 3,161
I think it's using the AK4497 from some Weibo reports.
That's disappointing... Why does it seem like hiby is always a half step behind on the DAC compared to the competition..... Any word on the amping? Muses like the r6 pro or, as I'm hoping, thx based amping?

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #47 of 3,161
That's disappointing... Why does it seem like hiby is always a half step behind on the DAC compared to the competition..... Any word on the amping? Muses like the r6 pro or, as I'm hoping, thx based amping?

I wouldn't call it behind really, the amp section in a DAP is not going to be able to utilise the full potential of the AK4497 nevermind the AK4499. The $9,000 sony dmp-z1 has probably come the closest followed by the $3,500 Cayin N8. I dare say Fiio could have used 2 x AK4493 dacs in the M15 along with that amp section and acheived the same results but marketing wise it would fail.

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #50 of 3,161
How'dy how close are we to an official release date for this bad boy? Anyone care to guess

I would say March but better wait for official information from Hiby. I think the R8 is really resemblant with the Luxury & Precision L4 Pro.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #52 of 3,161
I'm thinking of ordering the R6 Pro. Any insight on the R8 would be appreciated before I order it.

Will the R8 be a higher end model like the FiiO M15? If so I'll order the R6 Pro.

If the R8 is an upgrade to the R6 Pro I may wait.

Randy

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #53 of 3,161
I must say that the R6 PRO is an excelent player !!
It has a hidden gem option in the sound menu - TUBE AMP, this one transform the player to little monster.
I've compared it to my many other DAPs and .... sounded better than many ... close to AK SE100 (3-5%), not better than COWON PL.

Dont mind the Cigaretes :):)

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-16 at 19.22.34(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-16 at 19.22.34.jpeg

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #55 of 3,161
I must say that the R6 PRO is an excelent player !!
It has a hidden gem option in the sound menu - TUBE AMP, this one transform the player to little monster.
I've compared it to my many other DAPs and .... sounded better than many ... close to AK SE100 (3-5%), not better than COWON PL.

Dont mind the Cigaretes :):)

I must not have the audiophile gene I guess, because I tried the tube amp option along with the others.

Didn’t pick up on any major audio difference.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 3,161
I must not have the audiophile gene I guess, because I tried the tube amp option along with the others.

Well .. i did some microwave burn-in to the player...:ksc75smile: it enhance the presets...

My go-to IEM for testing is the KSE1500 - can't miss the diferences here.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #58 of 3,161

Me neither.

I am not confident it works on 3rd party apps.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #59 of 3,161
I did not try it with other apps so can't comet on this. Will try later with Onkyo HF player app.

If you are trying to look for the differences you have to understand what a TUBE amp do to the sound - read reviews about WOO audio tube amps.

Second - to "find" those changes or to say " i dont here the defferences" - you must specify with wich music tracks you tried. Definitely not every track will reveal those changes.
My favorite one (from many) is
It has double front bass - helps you to measure the front stage.
Side instruments, dynamics, precautions , atmosphere chords.... and many more musical items to figure out.

Jacob

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back