HiBy R8 User Impressions
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,061 of 3,161
Has anyone had their back cover of their rs 8 pop? I was about to buy one and the seller cancelled saying when he charged the unit and a muller (apparently the battery swelled up) and the back of the unit popped off a bit. Was just curious if others have had this issue and if it men’s the hiby is basically ruined. He offered to sell it to me very cheap but I’m obviously leery.
That means that the battery has failed and would now be considered extremely dangerous to operate. Only option is a battery replacement which appears to require the unit be shipped to China for service. If by “very cheap” you mean < $100 it may be worth the gamble that a battery replacement can be performed. There is always the chance that the swelled battery caused other damage as well.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #3,062 of 3,161
That means that the battery has failed and would now be considered extremely dangerous to operate. Only option is a battery replacement which appears to require the unit be shipped to China for service. If by “very cheap” you mean < $100 it may be worth the gamble that a battery replacement can be performed. There is always the chance that the swelled battery caused other damage as well.
Thanks, I think that’s enough for me to stay away. Even best case if it’s just a battery issue, can’t imagine trying to get it repaired in China right now

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,063 of 3,161
On a side note, if anyone is looking for the dignis case that comes with the hiby r8 limited edition, I have one I bought in anticipation of picking up the r8 (which sadly didn’t happen). If anyone wants to pick one up or replace an old one send me a pm

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #3,064 of 3,161
Has anyone managed to use the Line Out on the R8 to set it up as a streaming device?
I've installed BubbleUPNP on the R8 to stream Tidal and Qobuz, but the output is not always bit-perfect (ie compared to playing it from the Qobuz or Tidal apps installed onto the R8).

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #3,065 of 3,161
the battery replacement cost 250rmb(~40USD), shipping can cost up to 150 USD round trip.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #3,066 of 3,161
Thanks, I think that’s enough for me to stay away. Even best case if it’s just a battery issue, can’t imagine trying to get it repaired in China right now
If you are holding back from R8 due to battery issues my advice is ‘don’t’. I’ve had mine for over a year and the battery is still going strong. Yes it discharges 10% per day if you use or otherwise but I cycle between 20% and 90% and have noticed no decline in performance- still simply excellent and as @twister6, @gLer and others have described in reviews.

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #3,067 of 3,161
Has anyone managed to use the Line Out on the R8 to set it up as a streaming device?
I've installed BubbleUPNP on the R8 to stream Tidal and Qobuz, but the output is not always bit-perfect (ie compared to playing it from the Qobuz or Tidal apps installed onto the R8).

Do you mean to do the actual playing on another device and then have the R8 as the DLNA renderer?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #3,068 of 3,161
If you are holding back from R8 due to battery issues my advice is ‘don’t’. I’ve had mine for over a year and the battery is still going strong. Yes it discharges 10% per day if you use or otherwise but I cycle between 20% and 90% and have noticed no decline in performance- still simply excellent and as @twister6, @gLer and others have described in reviews.
I have had a similar experience with my R8.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #3,069 of 3,161
I've noticed something weird, lately. Battery self-discharges faster above 50% than below 50%.
Although on average it takes about 6 days to discharge from 90& to 20% and there is no difference at all in the rate of self-discharge between OFF and standby. I'm not sure the battery saver does anything, either.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,070 of 3,161
I've noticed something weird, lately. Battery self-discharges faster above 50% than below 50%.
Although on average it takes about 6 days to discharge from 90& to 20% and there is no difference at all in the rate of self-discharge between OFF and standby. I'm not sure the battery saver does anything, either.
It seems lots of complains around Hiby’s battery issues, not just R8, I’ve checked other model’s thread. Hope they can use battery with better quality in the future products

Dec 31, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #3,071 of 3,161
It seems lots of complains around Hiby’s battery issues, not just R8, I’ve checked other model’s thread. Hope they can use battery with better quality in the future products
The biggest problem is that the rate of discharge is insanely high even when the unit is completely turned off. It honestly makes no difference whether you keep it on standby with just the screen turned off like you would a smartphone or shut it down completely. The battery still loses 10% or more per 24 hours.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #3,072 of 3,161
The biggest problem is that the rate of discharge is insanely high even when the unit is completely turned off. It honestly makes no difference whether you keep it on standby with just the screen turned off like you would a smartphone or shut it down completely. The battery still loses 10% or more per 24 hours.
My experience has been similar that it decreases about 10% per day BUT if I listen to it an hour per day, it’s only slightly more. So it is my nightly listen when I am winding down for sleep.

One other note- you can save some battery life if you are a Cayin C9 user (or have another amp that accepts LO input from the R8) by turning the gain in R8 to low and Turbo to off. It’s not much different, maybe 2-3% per hour of play but it’s something (on tbe other hand pairing R8 in Turbo mode via PO to C9 in pre-amp mode is sonically superior to listening via LO from R8- improves the dynamics of both IMO)

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #3,073 of 3,161
My experience has been similar that it decreases about 10% per day BUT if I listen to it an hour per day, it’s only slightly more. So it is my nightly listen when I am winding down for sleep.

One other note- you can save some battery life if you are a Cayin C9 user (or have another amp that accepts LO input from the R8) by turning the gain in R8 to low and Turbo to off. It’s not much different, maybe 2-3% per hour of play but it’s something (on tbe other hand pairing R8 in Turbo mode via PO to C9 in pre-amp mode is sonically superior to listening via LO from R8- improves the dynamics of both IMO)
I don't think the LO is affected by the gain settings FYI, it bypasses the amplifier circuit entirely 👍

I agree on the sound though, the R8 is far better when used as a standalone DAC with LO - adding a better external amplifier improves the listening experience significantly IMO.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #3,074 of 3,161
Do you mean to do the actual playing on another device and then have the R8 as the DLNA renderer?
Correct!
Lately I've been testing the R8 using the LO as a variable source directly into a power amplifier for home stereo use with speakers. The results are incredible!

In terms of remote controlling streaming services, I think using USB Audio Player Pro is a good choice as you can install it on the R8 and then activate the renderer, then control it from your phone via BubbleUPNP or MConnect. But both seem to have different minor issues - eg BubbleUPNP doesn't allow high res remote streaming (or seems to downsample everything to 16/44.1), whereas MConnect doesn't control the master volume on the R8.

Be interested in other people's thoughts on this. It's actually a nifty way of remote controlling the R8 when using headphones as well. That's the beauty of Android based DAPs!

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #3,075 of 3,161
I’ve been fortunate with my R8 battery. It’s pretty solid (about 2 years old now). One thing I’ve done is “debloat” following instructions from the NP Audio forum so perhaps that’s helped.

When on and unused it loses maybe 3-5% overnight. I reset recently and switched it off at about 50% 3 days ago. Checked now and it’s on 47%, so about 1% a day when off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back