HiBy R8 User Impressions
Dec 11, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #3,046 of 3,161
@Joe Bloggs is it possible for @klyaksa to order a new battery to be sent to him in Ukraine from Hiby?

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #3,047 of 3,161
I got a Cayin N6ii as a backup and keep the R01 module in (my favorite)— eventually the R8 will need to be sent to Hiby in China for a battery change. The N6ii keeps its charge much longer without the same daily discharge as the R8.
Could you do a short comparison between the R8 and your Cayin? Sound-wise and as regards battery life, I mean. Nothing too extensive, just the basics that come to mind will do.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #3,048 of 3,161
Well, my battery problem in the R8 is getting worse. The degree of self-discharge per 24 hrs is increasing and it's around 16-18% now. Meanwhile, when when actually playing music it consistently loses 7% per hour.

If this continues, I'll soon have a brick that needs to be kept on the charger whenever it's not in use.
Any recommendations for a DAP with comparable sound quality AND solid battery? It can even be a non-Android device.
Have a look at Hiby RS8. It has a solid 12000mAh battery, hopefully user replaceable (at least the 4 screws holding the backplate are suggesting this). Sound quality is more than comparable. Price as well.

I hope standby solves your problems. I never turn off the R8. Always use standby. Rarely stays there more than 12 hours.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #3,049 of 3,161
Have a look at Hiby RS8. It has a solid 12000mAh battery, hopefully user replaceable (at least the 4 screws holding the backplate are suggesting this). Sound quality is more than comparable. Price as well.

I hope standby solves your problems. I never turn off the R8. Always use standby. Rarely stays there more than 12 hours.
I can't afford the RS8. That's out of my budget, unfortunately.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #3,050 of 3,161
@Joe Bloggs is it possible for @klyaksa to order a new battery to be sent to him in Ukraine from Hiby?
Unfortunately we are unable to ship a battery outside of China to any country.

I do have the following specification on a suitable replacement battery for his HiBy R8:
It is to output 4.35V,allow charging current of at least 5A, and have a 47K NTC thermistor. Unfortunately I haven't been told what exactly such a model of battery may be.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 12, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #3,051 of 3,161
Unfortunately we are unable to ship a battery outside of China to any country.

I do have the following specification on a suitable replacement battery for his HiBy R8:
It is to output 4.35V,allow charging current of at least 5A, and have a 47K NTC thermistor. Unfortunately I haven't been told what exactly such a model of battery may be.
Greetings Joe.
It is sad that there is no way to send me a battery. Right now I can't ship my r8 to China. Joe, can you think of something?
I have a question. How many battery wires? Maybe I'll pick it up myself. Of course I would like the original battery. Can you at least find out exactly which battery is installed at the factory? Or do they make their own?

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3,052 of 3,161
I hope standby solves your problems. I never turn off the R8. Always use standby.
In my case it actually made no difference at all. I took my R8 off the charger at 2 AM last night when it was at 100%. Now, after nearly 12 hours, it's down to 92%, so battery drain looks to be exactly the same when it is in stand by as when it is when completely switched off. I might as well not switch it off at all like you do, and instead engage the battery saver mode, and see if that changes anything.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,053 of 3,161
My R8 loses charge way faster than my other two daps. If all are turned off with 90-100 charge, I will find the R8 at 20-40% and my other daps still around 98%. I don't listen much now due to schedule, but I hate that when I do and and I want the R8, I have to charge it first. As a result, my other two daps get my listening time more.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,054 of 3,161
Well, that sad to read... It's shame users that have no battery drain issue should consider themselves lucky. Has Hiby ever make an official statement on the topic, as well as making some offers (battery replacement or even DAP replacement?) It doesn't sound like an isolated problem.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #3,055 of 3,161
My R8 loses charge way faster than my other two daps. If all are turned off with 90-100 charge, I will find the R8 at 20-40% and my other daps still around 98%. I don't listen much now due to schedule, but I hate that when I do and and I want the R8, I have to charge it first. As a result, my other two daps get my listening time more.
In my case it actually made no difference at all. I took my R8 off the charger at 2 AM last night when it was at 100%. Now, after nearly 12 hours, it's down to 92%, so battery drain looks to be exactly the same when it is in stand by as when it is when completely switched off. I might as well not switch it off at all like you do, and instead engage the battery saver mode, and see if that changes anything.
Never charge it to 100%.
I set the max charge to 85%, keep standby, and put it on charger even at 40%, just to be sure it is ready for the next action in a second.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #3,056 of 3,161
My R8 is set to a max charge of 90% and a min of 20%. Someone recommended that level a lot further back in this thread so I’ve done it from right near the start of owning it.

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #3,057 of 3,161
Never charge it to 100%.
I set the max charge to 85%, keep standby, and put it on charger even at 40%, just to be sure it is ready for the next action in a second.
My R8 is set at 90%. It has never been charged to 100%, except the first time when I did not know it had to be turned on for the batter max to work.

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #3,058 of 3,161
My R8 is set at 90%. It has never been charged to 100%, except the first time when I did not know it had to be turned on for the batter max to work.
+1
Early posters on this thread made this recommendation. Unfortunately I kept it plugged in and charged to 100% for the first 100 hours of burn-in, then learned better. One year out it is still holding up though I too see about 10% drain per day when turned off.

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #3,059 of 3,161
Could you do a short comparison between the R8 and your Cayin? Sound-wise and as regards battery life, I mean. Nothing too extensive, just the basics that come to mind will do.
This of course deserves a more thorough review than I can do here- pls see 2 very good reviews of Cayin N6ii R01 Here. R8 -especially with Turbo=on — is more dynamic and has generally better note weight and technicalities than the N6ii R01, however the latter is very smooth, musical well extended at both ends and has the advantage that you can switch out the modules for a different sound. Some N6ii modules have true LO some do not (R01 does not). There is also no OS/NOS switch. I was able to pick up the Cayin player and 4 modules for $1k on the Head-Fi Classifieds- I would definitely recommend watching that space (though do read the Classifieds FAQ here)

Battery maintenance is about the same. It’s a bit harder to avoid 100% charging on N6ii as it does not have a charging shut-off setting Like R8 (anyway I have not seen this). It does not drain as quickly as R8 when off- maybe 1% per day.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,060 of 3,161
Has anyone had their back cover of their rs 8 pop? I was about to buy one and the seller cancelled saying when he charged the unit and a muller (apparently the battery swelled up) and the back of the unit popped off a bit. Was just curious if others have had this issue and if it men’s the hiby is basically ruined. He offered to sell it to me very cheap but I’m obviously leery.

Attachments

• 05D1983F-6A9B-4BB7-B573-2CC78084838D.png
    05D1983F-6A9B-4BB7-B573-2CC78084838D.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 50625AB7-AF8F-4C76-A4E5-0BEB61DB3B72.png
    50625AB7-AF8F-4C76-A4E5-0BEB61DB3B72.png
    4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back