HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,626 of 3,161
Just recived the R8 from MusicTeck but there is no Google Play store only CoolApk inn chinese.
Has anybody else had this issue and how was it resolved?

Contact MusicTeck. Mine came with Google Play.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,628 of 3,161
Just recived the R8 from MusicTeck but there is no Google Play store only CoolApk inn chinese.
Should not be the case. You may have received a Chinese version by mistake. I suggest you contact Andrew and get it resolved. He'll sort you out.

Edit: sorry, I see you already replied.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,629 of 3,161
Just received my R8 from MusicTeck...once again...thanks Andrew for a great , reliable and friendly sale. Haven’t really had a lot of time to put it through it’s paces...but will get back with thoughts later. Just got my R6 2020 back from Hiby repairs...had the issue of “no sound” output that others have had. ( starting to get a little nervous about Hiby QC). I LOVE Hiby DACS...had R6Pro...2020 and now R8. System wide MSEB is just such a killer feature for me...can’t believe other Android dap manufacturers are so slow to get onboard with similar system wide eq solutions. On the downside though re 2020 and R8...I HATE the volume wheel. They had the perfect physical interface with the R6 Pro...seperate physical buttons for vol up and down. It makes the volume wheel units so frustrating to use when on the go. For upcoming DACs....if Hiby stick with wheels...and other manufacturers implement system wide eq... I might just stray from Hiby :) But, at the end of the day...still love them for their innovation and persistent updates.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,630 of 3,161
Just received my R8 from MusicTeck...once again...thanks Andrew for a great , reliable and friendly sale. Haven’t really had a lot of time to put it through it’s paces...but will get back with thoughts later. Just got my R6 2020 back from Hiby repairs...had the issue of “no sound” output that others have had. ( starting to get a little nervous about Hiby QC). I LOVE Hiby DACS...had R6Pro...2020 and now R8. System wide MSEB is just such a killer feature for me...can’t believe other Android dap manufacturers are so slow to get onboard with similar system wide eq solutions. On the downside though re 2020 and R8...I HATE the volume wheel. They had the perfect physical interface with the R6 Pro...seperate physical buttons for vol up and down. It makes the volume wheel units so frustrating to use when on the go. For upcoming DACs....if Hiby stick with wheels...and other manufacturers implement system wide eq... I might just stray from Hiby :) But, at the end of the day...still love them for their innovation and persistent updates.
Also recived my M8 from MusicTeck today and agree with the service from Andrew being top notch! Unike you I love the volume wheel 😃 Hopefully you will hate it less as time goes by 😃

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #2,631 of 3,161
Also recived my M8 from MusicTeck today and agree with the service from Andrew being top notch! Unike you I love the volume wheel 😃 Hopefully you will hate it less as time goes by 😃
Yup. Andrew is a legend :) But I ain’t never gonna love that damn wheel. Each to his own! Respect. Cheers

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,632 of 3,161
If you did receive this from MusicTeck, this would be an incorrect version shipped. Contact MusicTeck to have it exchanged.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,633 of 3,161
Yup. Andrew is a legend :) But I ain’t never gonna love that damn wheel. Each to his own! Respect. Cheers
How would you like something like an analog volume pot converted to digital volume signals via ADC? i.e. It would work like an analog volume pot in that it would have a fixed zero and max position which are separated by only, say, 8/10th of a full circle.

Not sure if workable on an Android device, just wondering aloud at the moment.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 20, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,634 of 3,161
How would you like something like an analog volume pot converted to digital volume signals via ADC? i.e. It would work like an analog volume pot in that it would have a fixed zero and max position which are separated by only, say, 8/10th of a full circle.

Not sure if workable on an Android device, just wondering aloud at the moment.
Thanks for getting back Joe. Honestly...I just want the same separate vol buttons as on the R6Pro. Allows for simple, precise control. Was perfect. Wheels, on the go when out walking, are just plain annoying, especially when they are as unresponsive as these current gen Hiby's. Cheers

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,635 of 3,161
Thanks for getting back Joe. Honestly...I just want the same separate vol buttons as on the R6Pro. Allows for simple, precise control. Was perfect. Wheels, on the go when out walking, are just plain annoying, especially when they are as unresponsive as these current gen Hiby's. Cheers
I agree that buttons is better, also less dangerous when changing volume. Don't see why one can't program the side buttons to double as volume change. I never use next/last track, so to be able to assign volume up and down to those buttons would be a massive feature/benefit.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,636 of 3,161
I agree that buttons is better, also less dangerous when changing volume. Don't see why one can't program the side buttons to double as volume change. I never use next/last track, so to be able to assign volume up and down to those buttons would be a massive feature/benefit.
Great point. If Hiby could arrange that through update...I’d be a happy boy

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #2,637 of 3,161
Great point. If Hiby could arrange that through update...I’d be a happy boy
And it would be another major feather in the R8's cap. They should also give the option of using the buttons in combo with the wheel, or the ability to disable the wheel altogether. Just makes it all the more flexible. @Joe Bloggs do you know if this is even possible with the R8's hardware config?

PS. Imagine being able to assign volume toggles to the back/forward buttons, and assign multifinctions to the play/pause button, so one click of play/pause is still that, two clicks is track forward, three clicks track back.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,638 of 3,161
Thinking about getting the Hiby R8 but can anyone tell me how it compares to the Fiio M15 in terms of sound quality? As in, is it a step up or a downgrade or something else?

Would be using it with Campfire Andromedas and Focal Stellia. Thanks for any input.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,639 of 3,161
Thinking about getting the Hiby R8 but can anyone tell me how it compares to the Fiio M15 in terms of sound quality? As in, is it a step up or a downgrade or something else?

Would be using it with Campfire Andromedas and Focal Stellia. Thanks for any input.
Don't know the M15, so can't comment on that. But the R8 produces hiss with sensitive IEMs, even with not so sensitive ones to be honest. The Andromeda would be a no-go, unless you use an impedance adapter.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,640 of 3,161
Don't know the M15, so can't comment on that. But the R8 produces hiss with sensitive IEMs, even with not so sensitive ones to be honest. The Andromeda would be a no-go, unless you use an impedance adapter.
I thought exactly the same. Though not sure if using andros on SE would make any difference as i never use any dap on SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back