HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 22, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #256 of 3,161
Ah, so you think the R8 not portable anymore 😅 But we did give it all possible wireless connectivity including cell reception for a reason...
I'd call it transportable. Would personally consider it as a desktop replacement or something to use at the office. I wouldn't be taking it traveling or on a walkabout. Super wireless options but too large and heavy to be truly portable (the R6 Pro SS is already on the bulky side).

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #259 of 3,161
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #260 of 3,161
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #261 of 3,161
I listen to death metal on all 3, whats classical :D

Perfect, perfect! But the question is: Can I replace the R8 with the brick MAX and it can still drive the HEAVY METAL connected to it (HEDDphone is about 720g)?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #263 of 3,161
The R8 has very powerful output I, don't have HEDDs but I have to turn max up higher than R8 on Balance modded H6 , Sony MDR Z7M2, Kennerton Magni and Ghjalahorn. it has a voltage increase option similar to the M15

Means it has more than enough juice. The HEDDs I got only for a weekend drive directly from HEDD but I will be returning them as they are far too heavy (and my respect goes to the LCD-4 owners with necks made of steel). Just to be sure that the R8 can drive such hard to drive cans.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #264 of 3,161
Ah, so you think the R8 not portable anymore 😅 But we did give it all possible wireless connectivity including cell reception for a reason...

R8 size and weight is an issue calling portable. The "movable player" could be a better name. And 4G is not making any sense since China is now popular with 5G as its "New Infrastructure" strategy.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #265 of 3,161
The R8 has very powerful output I, don't have HEDDs but I have to turn max up higher than R8 on Balance modded H6 , Sony MDR Z7M2, Kennerton Magni and Ghjalahorn. it has a voltage increase option similar to the M15

But keep in mind this R8 costs 2300USD and it is 1000 bucks more than M15 1300USD. Where are the value points from R8? I would rather wait for M17 or R8 Pro or even R10...

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #266 of 3,161
But keep in mind this R8 costs 2300USD and it is 1000 bucks more than M15 1300USD. Where are the value points from R8? I would rather wait for M17 or R8 Pro or even R10...
Very odd... I notice that you have not had a positive thing to say about the R8 since months ago, yet you almost exclusively post in this thread only. Not even a single post in the product threads for the FiiO products you supposedly like so much! I very rarely doubt the sincerity of people, but just this once I have to ask: who are you really? What is your motivation here? And so on.

Of course, I am prepared to apologize profusely, if you have a proper answer for the above.

As for the question itself? I would easily say "everything about the R8 outclasses the M15, from amplifier power output to CPU used to amount of premium parts used, etc. etc." the only exception being the DAC chip used, but what's the significance of that one when either set of chips will outperform what's required for total transparency by several orders of magnitude?

Re the answer below, oh, I don't mind negativity at all, but none of this makes sense. Neither the limited time online nor your friend having tried the R8 just last week jives with where you post, or when you posted. But we'll see.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #267 of 3,161
Very odd... I notice that you have not had a positive thing to say about the R8 since months ago, yet you almost exclusively post in this thread only. Not even a single post in the product threads for the FiiO products you supposedly like so much! I very rarely doubt the sincerity of people, but just this once I have to ask: who are you really? What is your motivation here? And so on.

Of course, I am prepared to apologize profusely, if you have a proper answer for the above.

Dear Joe, thanks for pointing out the "negativity", which I will pay attention to it.

No intention to argue anything but just to point it out the sound/price value of R8 is not as good as other options. That's it.

Well, I am the end-user and a music lover, who owned FiiO M15, A&U SP2K and now owns SONY DMP-Z1.

And I will do the FiiO threads later on when have a chance. Currently I only have limited time into online community.

In Shanghai, one of my close friends, Ronny tried R8 last week and compare it with FiiO X7, NW-WM1Z, SP2000, and the conclusion is not that good, when checking the retail price 2300USD out. This is the key point.

Find below some pictures of the R8 screen for your reference Joe...

Joe, I believe you may know a traditional Chinese saying, "A good medicine tastes bitter and good comment is harsh to the ears."

And I hope my comment helps you to cool down to certain degree.

Cheers from Shanghai.

Attachments

• R8vsX7.jpeg
    R8vsX7.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SP2K.jpeg
    SP2K.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WM1Z.jpeg
    WM1Z.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #269 of 3,161
What could really be interesting with such a DAP is using its very powerful CPU for DSP processing effects, like crossfeed, "amp modelling" which is being done in the guitar amplifier world for a very long time, with for example Kemper Profiler:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/profiler/overview

If there is Wavelet app that can be applied for system global EQ'ing, also such DSP effects would be very interesting.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #270 of 3,161
What could really be interesting with such a DAP is using its very powerful CPU for DSP processing effects, like crossfeed, "amp modelling" which is being done in the guitar amplifier world for a very long time, with Kemper Profiler:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/profiler/overview

If there is Wavelet app that can be applied for system global EQ'ing, also such DSP effects would be very interesting.

The EFOtech headphone spatializer (my company's baby) has been in HiByMusic for R5/6/6pro/8 for awhile. There's a pure room modelling crossfed version and one that upmixes to surround before spatializing--to cut the rope on the 60 degree stereo soundfield without compromising centre imaging. All this surely runs better on the R8 than the rest!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back