Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3,376 of 4,006
Hi I need some help with my 6 pro. With tidal most of my downloaded albums will not play when I’m not in wifi. When I click on the album it say tap to refresh! I don’t remember it doing that before. Please help thank you.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #3,377 of 4,006
Hi I need some help with my 6 pro. With tidal most of my downloaded albums will not play when I’m not in wifi. When I click on the album it say tap to refresh! I don’t remember it doing that before. Please help thank you.
Never had that problem... you do (a) have the albums downloaded, (b) have the DAP set to offline mode, right?

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3,378 of 4,006
I may have misunderstood what he meant because somebody talked about buying an album and other posts were about Tidal. I do not think Tidal has any MQA higher than 192 KHz. So if somebody's device is displaying 384 KHz for a Tidal MQA then something is wrong with the firmware.

I don't have the r6 but I have been watching this thread because I wanted hardware MQA support.

I'm not sure what's happening - has anyone else seen this, or can anyone explain. If 192K is the maximum from Tidal, how is my R6Pro showing twice that, as below?

1591184631534.png

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #3,379 of 4,006
After the last dap update I don't even have the Hz playback message on the top right bar anymore.

Have you updated? If not, it will not support mqa without so.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #3,380 of 4,006
Never had that problem... you do (a) have the albums downloaded, (b) have the DAP set to offline mode, right?
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes everything is downloaded and I’ve tried the offline mode and still it’s not playing. Maybe I might have to delete the app and reinstall it and download everything again. It did work fine. I also have deezer hifi and it works great. Not sure what’s going on with tidal.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,381 of 4,006
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes everything is downloaded and I’ve tried the offline mode and still it’s not playing. Maybe I might have to delete the app and reinstall it and download everything again. It did work fine. I also have deezer hifi and it works great. Not sure what’s going on with tidal.

Try factory reseting altogether whatever remaining files for Tidal I bet are not uninstalling correctly and keeping certain settings stuck.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,383 of 4,006
I'm not sure what's happening - has anyone else seen this, or can anyone explain. If 192K is the maximum from Tidal, how is my R6Pro showing twice that, as below?

1591184631534.png

So... I upgraded Tidal from the Play store, and now, my MQA tracks (such as the one above) show 96K when they play. The side button now lights up in green when playing MQA files (which I believe is correct for 96K), whereas previously it lit up yellow (which I believe is correct for the 384K Tidal seemed to think it was playing).

I think that’s right now? I assume the 96K is a limitation of the R6Pro not hardware unfolding to 192K? Happy to be educated!!

Shaun

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,384 of 4,006
Official MQA colors are either blue or green. I'm nigh certain MQA maxes out at 24/192.

If I ever get home I have hardware that will tell me definitely what the unfolded sample rate and bit depth are.

Thank you for the question whether this is an unfolding limitation. I'm interested in the answer on this.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,385 of 4,006
Official MQA colors are either blue or green. I'm nigh certain MQA maxes out at 24/192.

If I ever get home I have hardware that will tell me definitely what the unfolded sample rate and bit depth are.

Thank you for the question whether this is an unfolding limitation. I'm interested in the answer on this.

It’s quite confusing. The same tracks that showed 384K (and yellow LED) before the Tidal upgrade, then showed 96K (and green LED) are now back to saying 384K (yellow LED) again, but I have found out why. When you test play an MQA without headphones, it plays at 96K, plugin headphones and it says 384K.

I’m confused as to whether this means there is real hardware MQA folding, and it’s intelligent enough not to do it when there’s no output, but that may be wildly optimistic thinking. Unfortunately I don’t have the equipment to test it.

It does sound good though :)

Shaun

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,386 of 4,006
I had a similar situation! Clearing the cache and resetting the HiBy application helped me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #3,387 of 4,006
It’s quite confusing. The same tracks that showed 384K (and yellow LED) before the Tidal upgrade, then showed 96K (and green LED) are now back to saying 384K (yellow LED) again, but I have found out why. When you test play an MQA without headphones, it plays at 96K, plugin headphones and it says 384K

That doesn't mean why. That just means you know how to cause the bug.

I’m confused as to whether this means there is real hardware MQA folding, and it’s intelligent enough not to do it when there’s no output, but that may be wildly optimistic thinking. Unfortunately I don’t have the equipment to test it.

This was done via a firmware update so it is not pure hardware.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,388 of 4,006
That doesn't mean why. That just means you know how to cause the bug.

This was done via a firmware update so it is not pure hardware.

I can’t say it’s a bug, it might be intended that the R6Pro doesn’t decode fully when it detects the headphones aren’t plugged in, for all I know. Unlikely I know. :wink:

And firmware could have activated dormant hardware.... Even more unlikely, I know.

But as I say, wild optimism.... I suspect this is just Tidal being buggy. I’d still like to know definitively how much unfolding the R6Pro does though.....

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #3,389 of 4,006
I can’t say it’s a bug, it might be intended that the R6Pro doesn’t decode fully when it detects the headphones aren’t plugged in, for all I know. Unlikely I know. :wink:

And firmware could have activated dormant hardware.... Even more unlikely, I know.

But as I say, wild optimism.... I suspect this is just Tidal being buggy. I’d still like to know definitively how much unfolding the R6Pro does though.....

I emailed HiBy and asked specifically if there was hardware in the R6Pro to unfold, but their answer was a little vague:

“In the latest firmware version(1.86G) of HiBy R6 Pro, we've added MQA support in HiBy Music app and systemwide MQA decoding (Highest level 8x unfold).”

I have replied asking how they do that.

shaun

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #3,390 of 4,006
I emailed HiBy and asked specifically if there was hardware in the R6Pro to unfold, but their answer was a little vague:

“In the latest firmware version(1.86G) of HiBy R6 Pro, we've added MQA support in HiBy Music app and systemwide MQA decoding (Highest level 8x unfold).”

I have replied asking how they do that.

shaun
A guess, and just a guess... the R6Pro already has the hardware capable of full unfolding. But they needed to modify their software, including adding whatever licensing and decoding keys they had to acquire / negotiate from MQA. As long as the hardware was all along capable of full unfolding none of this is hard... well, except the negotiation part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back