Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,361 of 4,006
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 23, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #3,363 of 4,006
When using my Hiby R6 Pro as a source.

Connecting my dac/amp via usb, do I need go use UAPP for tidal support? Or is using the official Tidal app still bypass things for the amp?

May 24, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #3,364 of 4,006
OK, very beginner question: I installed an SD card, but I've used up all my internal memory with Tidal downloads, yet the card is empty. How exactly does the SD card work? I can't find anything in the downloaded manual. Can I download Tidal tracks to the SD card on the R6, or do I need to download the tracks elsewhere and install the loaded card? Thanks for any advice.

May 24, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #3,367 of 4,006
When using my Hiby R6 Pro as a source.

Connecting my dac/amp via usb, do I need go use UAPP for tidal support? Or is using the official Tidal app still bypass things for the amp?
Well if you are asking here, it seems to be working to some extent :)

Well, USB audio out is a bit of a weak point, it does not do MQA unfold, also is not bit-perfect in terms of preserving the sample rate.

You do need an app like UAPP to get bitperfect and MQA for USB audio output. But hey if you can't hear the difference, it's fine to stick with the official TIDAL app for better navigation...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 26, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,368 of 4,006
I really, really want to pull the trigger and buy this DAP, however I do have a query or two.
There has been some chat about noise with very sensitive IEM's and I wouldn't want to be pigeon holed here, however I'm curious if people mean sensitive as a scientific measurement of how loud a speaker is with a watt of power or are they talking about how responsive the driver is and how well it plays music kind of like how high end speakers in car audio, in my experience at least, can't listen to FM radio as it just sounds like allot of noise.

So yeah... is this thing going to work really really well with very very responsive drivers? I don't plan on buying hugely sensitive speakers that are just horns for air raid sirens.

May 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #3,370 of 4,006
I really, really want to pull the trigger and buy this DAP, however I do have a query or two.
There has been some chat about noise with very sensitive IEM's and I wouldn't want to be pigeon holed here, however I'm curious if people mean sensitive as a scientific measurement of how loud a speaker is with a watt of power or are they talking about how responsive the driver is and how well it plays music kind of like how high end speakers in car audio, in my experience at least, can't listen to FM radio as it just sounds like allot of noise.

So yeah... is this thing going to work really really well with very very responsive drivers? I don't plan on buying hugely sensitive speakers that are just horns for air raid sirens.
They meant sensitivity as in voltage / wattage sensitivity.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #3,371 of 4,006
If I want to use my Hiby R6 Pro as a source for my Chord Hugo 2 dac/amp.

Should I use the coaxial out or the usb otg out?

This is for Tidal streaming usage.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3,372 of 4,006
If I want to use my Hiby R6 Pro as a source for my Chord Hugo 2 dac/amp.

Should I use the coaxial out or the usb otg out?

This is for Tidal streaming usage.
I’ve used both. I personally prefer coax. The micro USB port on the Hugo 2 feels a bit fragile. If found that Penon has a coax cable that will work with an R6 Pro and Hugo 2 combo. They have a 3 pole to 4 pole coax cable. They also have a USB-C to coax. I’ve ordered one of each, but haven’t received them yet. The coax that I have used was from Moonaudio, which is a four pole to 2 pole. It can play FLAC files but not DSDs.
I should receive the cables in about a week and will give you an update then.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #3,373 of 4,006
Wow! Penon is super fast. Here's what I've got so far: The Cayin CS-40TC35 works quite well. The cable is very flexible. It plays everything from FLAC --> MCQ (88.2 Khz) --> DSD 5.4 Mhz. I'm currently using UAPP, which has excellent features and Tidal integration. It also offers MCQ playback (with in-app purchase) I have not tried this with Master versions in either UAPP or the Tidal app. (Sorry I no longer have a Tidal account, but as it works with UAPP, I have a high degree of confidence that it will work with your Tidal account or worst-case scenario you purchase UAPP.
Nice thing to note, even though the adaptor uses USB, it registers as Coax and you can switch between apps. I don't know if this is bit-perfect, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. Also, USB-C is reversible, so you can stack your R6 PRO and put it on the bottom of the Hugo 2 for more mobility.
Bad news, the 3.5 Coax 4-pole to 3-pole did not work. I have contacted Penon and hopefully, they can replace the cable that I have received with a functioning one.
**Update** I spoke with Penon customer service and they have agreed to test a new coax cable before sending it to me. Awesome customer service!
***Upperdate*** After rebooting the R6 PRO, the issue with switching to a 4-to-3 Pole Coax cable is resolved. I contacted Penon with apologies and thanks for their awesome customer service.

Here are some pics, so you can see how it might work for your specific needs.
IMG_5541.JPEGIMG_5551.JPEGIMG_5544.JPEGIMG_5543.JPEGIMG_5542.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_5545.JPEG
    IMG_5545.JPEG
    342 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #3,374 of 4,006
Wow! Penon is super fast. Here's what I've got so far: The Cayin CS-40TC35 works quite well. The cable is very flexible. It plays everything from FLAC --> MCQ (88.2 Khz) --> DSD 5.4 Mhz. I'm currently using UAPP, which has excellent features and Tidal integration. It also offers MCQ playback (with in-app purchase) I have not tried this with Master versions in either UAPP or the Tidal app. (Sorry I no longer have a Tidal account, but as it works with UAPP, I have a high degree of confidence that it will work with your Tidal account or worst-case scenario you purchase UAPP.
Nice thing to note, even though the adaptor uses USB, it registers as Coax and you can switch between apps. I don't know if this is bit-perfect, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. Also USB-C is reversable, so you can stack your R6 PRO and put it on the bottom of the Hugo 2 for more mobility.
Bad news, the 3.5 Coax 4-pole to 3-pole did not work. I have contacted Penon and hopefully, they can replace the cable that I have received with a functioning one.
Here are some pics, so you can see how it might work for your specific needs.
IMG_5541.JPEGIMG_5551.JPEGIMG_5544.JPEGIMG_5543.JPEGIMG_5542.JPEG

I would think the 4-to-3 pole cable may be for adapting the multifunction output to analog line out rather than digital coax out. As you mention, you already have a working coax out cable next to it, which is 2-pole at the coax end.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #3,375 of 4,006
I would think the 4-to-3 pole cable may be for adapting the multifunction output to analog line out rather than digital coax out. As you mention, you already have a working coax out cable next to it, which is 2-pole at the coax end.
Thanks for catching this one, Joe. I rebooted the player and this resolved the issue. Thank you very much for this. I've contacted Penon and hopefully they have not sent the replacement cable.
You rock!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back