Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #2,148 of 4,006
Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm trying to reach an audience that has the R6 Pro as a frame of reference:

Can anyone recommend a DAC (standalone or amp combo) under $500 that has a comparable sound to the R6 pro? I may be asking for too much, but I've been looking around and I'm wary of coughing up dough for something that doesn't sound as good.To give you an idea of my personal preferences, I think the R6 Pro sounds better than the Chord Mojo. :)

Edit: to make my request even more annoyingly specific, I'm looking for one with a coaxial input. THANKS

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #2,149 of 4,006
Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm trying to reach an audience that has the R6 Pro as a frame of reference:

Can anyone recommend a DAC (standalone or amp combo) under $500 that has a comparable sound to the R6 pro? I may be asking for too much, but I've been looking around and I'm wary of coughing up dough for something that doesn't sound as good.To give you an idea of my personal preferences, I think the R6 Pro sounds better than the Chord Mojo. :)

Edit: to make my request even more annoyingly specific, I'm looking for one with a coaxial input. THANKS
Hmm are you talking portable only? Yes the R6 Pro sounds better than the Mojo . I have both . It’s not close actually .
I have not heard a portable under 500 that’s better .

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,150 of 4,006

People are putting the m11 and the r6 pro in the same quality bracket. Main think with the hiby is android access otherwise I don't get why people look here if you don't need android.

I'd check out the m11 or wait for the m13 to drop from fiio if you need something cheaper and don't need android.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,151 of 4,006
People are putting the m11 and the r6 pro in the same quality bracket. Main think with the hiby is android access otherwise I don't get why people look here if you don't need android.

I'd check out the m11 or wait for the m13 to drop from fiio if you need something cheaper and don't need android.
The problem with Fiio’s approach is they don’t have the full google App Store . So if Tidal or someone else goes out of business , where will you be then ?

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,153 of 4,006
The problem with Fiio’s approach is they don’t have the full google App Store . So if Tidal or someone else goes out of business , where will you be then ?
Yes... I addressed that with the "android access" portion of my post.

I didn't suggest to use the fiio if you need Google play. From my post, you could mistakenly think the fiio doesn't even have Android actually.

I would only recommend the hiby for Android. Maybe the dx220/Ibasso, but because they don't explicitly advertise dta, and personally, without dta, I don't add it in. I don't really consider it a full android dap without dta and Google play. So the cayin 6ii would be the only other Android device I'd talk about, and you only need that if you need modular android. Otherwise, in my opinion, there is no better android player. If the hiby r6 non pro works the way I think it does, it's the best portable android "transport" if you intend on using a different dac/amp too although the premium the pro asks to integrate a "high-end" dac/amp is reasonable when you consider it like that.

I asked fiio about the dta and they seemed confused. I may go to can jam just to talk to a rep about this.... I'd like to see competition from fiio to put the hiby in better perspective.

I don't know if dta is even an audible difference, it's just the principle to me. It shouldn't be a problem on Android os period. Google is a massive company and they could fix this issue with a miniscule investment. The fact they CHOOSE not to, especially given it's an engineer run company, is extremely disheartening. It shows to me, Google has grown too big. Black mode, dta, etc. Should have been part of android os 3-5 years ago.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #2,154 of 4,006
Portable or desktop. Thanks!
The khadas tone board dac for desktop is a good option. It's ~$100 or so. It was tested on a science like forum with great results. If you believe that money = performance though you can spend more on desktop. Smsl su-8 is a "cheap " dac with good performance and quality.
Jds atom amp is a good choice.

I use science and not subjective testing though, since I've subjectively tested by ear before with horrendously conflicting results, and I'm well versed in statistics for my paycheck to never ever ever make a decision based on subjective, no hard data, but everyone is welcome to live their lives. Don't want to do it just how we do it in the finance industry unless you enjoy giving up a little bit of humanity to act more like a machine.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,155 of 4,006
What is the difference between the standard headphone out and the line out? When would I use one other the other?
I thought it was because the line out bypassed volume controls, but my R6 Pro has volume up or down regardless of which plug I use.
Thanks

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #2,158 of 4,006
What is the difference between the standard headphone out and the line out? When would I use one other the other?
I thought it was because the line out bypassed volume controls, but my R6 Pro has volume up or down regardless of which plug I use.
Thanks

I believe the difference is that line out generally something like 100 ohms. Set the volume control to unity gain (meaning +0db) and you should be good. I'm not sure what volume level on the R6 Pro is 0db though.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,159 of 4,006
I believe the difference is that line out generally something like 100 ohms. Set the volume control to unity gain (meaning +0db) and you should be good. I'm not sure what volume level on the R6 Pro is 0db though.

This was exactly what I have discovered as well when I first got the R6 Pro. You need to turn the volume to 100% for the Line out to sound its best. The only issue is that this volume setting will apply to Phone out as well. So if you are not careful, you will kill your hearing if you plug back in your IEM to the Phone out and forget to adjust the volume down from 100%. I have reached out to Hiby about this feature and at least they are aware of this situation.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,160 of 4,006
So basically there is no difference in sound quality, just impedance. I'm running into a Shure KSE1200 so I'm not sure impedance is a big issue.
Thank you for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back