Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,176 of 4,000
The M9 software is slow as hell. And the dac chip is lifeless and lacks dynamics. I sold mine and bought the Hiby Pro which is outstanding
Well, to be fair, the M9 is not the right FiiO DAP to be comparing with... that would be the M11. I have the R6 Pro, so I am not here to proselytize for FiiO. But, I would be much more interested in that comparison, as would those who have not made a purchase decision yet...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,177 of 4,000
Well, to be fair, the M9 is not the right FiiO DAP to be comparing with... that would be the M11. I have them R6 Pro, so I am not here to proselytize for FiiO. But, I would be much more interested in that comparison, as would those who have not made the decision yet...
If the M11 has the same sluggish software the M9 has I dont care what the sound quality is.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #2,178 of 4,000
If the M11 has the same sluggish software the M9 has I dont care what the sound quality is.
But... that’s the point... “IF”. I suggest critical comparisons, not prejudging. I agree, IF sluggish then it’s a no-go. But is it? And, bluntly, my R6 Pro responds like an arthritic geriatric compared to my LG v30, so what’s the baseline?

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,179 of 4,000
The M11 has better hardware than the M9, too. The experience likely isn't the same. I'm actually looking at the M11 since ditching my R6 Pro. The EMI thing drove me nuts, and it seemed to be every single one I tried. I guess my environment just didn't allow for noise-free listening with the R6P. With that said, I bought the M9 three times before giving up. Every one of them had a different defect. I'm feeling defeated in the DAP market... the Q5S or similar device might just be a better bet for me at this point. My phone runs flawlessly and takes external storage.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2,180 of 4,000
The M11 has better hardware than the M9, too. The experience likely isn't the same. I'm actually looking at the M11 since ditching my R6 Pro. The EMI thing drove me nuts, and it seemed to be every single one I tried. I guess my environment just didn't allow for noise-free listening with the R6P. With that said, I bought the M9 three times before giving up. Every one of them had a different defect. I'm feeling defeated in the DAP market... the Q5S or similar device might just be a better bet for me at this point. My phone runs flawlessly and takes external storage.

M11 is pretty darn amazing actually :)

Haven't had any issues with it so far

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #2,183 of 4,000
Anyone knows where to buy a micro sd tray that is compatible with r6?

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #2,184 of 4,000
Yes... I addressed that with the "android access" portion of my post.

I didn't suggest to use the fiio if you need Google play. From my post, you could mistakenly think the fiio doesn't even have Android actually.

I would only recommend the hiby for Android. Maybe the dx220/Ibasso, but because they don't explicitly advertise dta, and personally, without dta, I don't add it in. I don't really consider it a full android dap without dta and Google play. So the cayin 6ii would be the only other Android device I'd talk about, and you only need that if you need modular android. Otherwise, in my opinion, there is no better android player. If the hiby r6 non pro works the way I think it does, it's the best portable android "transport" if you intend on using a different dac/amp too although the premium the pro asks to integrate a "high-end" dac/amp is reasonable when you consider it like that.

I asked fiio about the dta and they seemed confused. I may go to can jam just to talk to a rep about this.... I'd like to see competition from fiio to put the hiby in better perspective.

I don't know if dta is even an audible difference, it's just the principle to me. It shouldn't be a problem on Android os period. Google is a massive company and they could fix this issue with a miniscule investment. The fact they CHOOSE not to, especially given it's an engineer run company, is extremely disheartening. It shows to me, Google has grown too big. Black mode, dta, etc. Should have been part of android os 3-5 years ago.

For the record, I don't think DTA is a good idea or even a possible idea for a general purpose Android device where you may need to mix sounds at different sample rates from different apps (being a DAP for audiophiles pretty much rules out this use case)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2,185 of 4,000
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 26, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #2,186 of 4,000

At first, I thought the EMI was really nasty and was a bit dissatisfied. It turned out that my IEMs at had an impedance of 20 Ohms and using 4.4mm connection was just way too much power for such easily driven IEMs. I switched to an unbalanced 3.5 mm connection and now I can almost, almost! stack my phone and R6 Pro without heading all the buzzing and clicks. If you're having this issue, you may want to consider switching to 3.5mm. Also, when using 4.4.mm, I found that my IEMs were way too bright and fatiguing with that much power. The shift to back to unbalanced was a much nicer listening experience, and the R6 Pro still gives added power, but at a much more manageable level for easily driven devices.
I also found that the R6 Pro was much cooler running when my IEMs were connected to 3.5mm.

I had an opportunity to get my hands on an M11, and it was a very light device, but chunky compared to an R6 Pro. The one thing that I noticed right away was the lack of power and using the same IEMs mentioned earlier; the sound was quite anaemic compared to the added punch offered by the R6 pro's power.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,187 of 4,000
Quick question, I’ve been noticing that my r6pro sometimes doesn’t detect when I unplug from the 3.5 output socket my headphones, so I trust that it will stop playing but it keeps going,it’s a bit annoying, as well it locks into that output and doesn’t let me switch to the line out (which I use for home with another desk dac)

Anyone else having a similar issue? Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #2,188 of 4,000
If anyone is interested or was looking at screen protector for the R6 Pro, I have just put the on iProtek screen protector on my Pro, and its a rubbish fit (even through the company claims it fits the R6 and R6 Pro). The border all around doesn't "bond" with the screen. Basically, it seems the screen of the R6 curves slightly as you approach the edges, and the tempered glass iProtek screen doesn't curve with that (the screen protector feels quite thick). I will leave it on for now, but it will probably soon start to collect dirt particles all around under the edges, and I will have to ditch it.

If anyone knows of a better fit screen protector for the R6 Pro (and a quality one) then do pls share

IMG_8992.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2,190 of 4,000
Well, to be fair, the M9 is not the right FiiO DAP to be comparing with... that would be the M11. I have the R6 Pro, so I am not here to proselytize for FiiO. But, I would be much more interested in that comparison, as would those who have not made a purchase decision yet...
It's not even the sluggishness of the UI for me. My M9 was incapable of playing some FLAC files without absolutely horrible, stuttering microgaps, and this was a problem shared across all M9s with certain 24-bit FLAC files. when I contacted fiio they didn't even acknowledge the problem. After about a month I literally threw it in the trash because i couldn't sell a device that broken in good conscience. I wouldn't take another device from them if they paid me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back