Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #886 of 4,006
I tested my my unit also and took my Pixel Xl with WiFi , Bluetooth on and sett he right next to each other and didn't here any added noise on my DM6's on 4.4 mm cable or using the MEE adapter or Ibasso 2,5 mm to 4,4 mm adapters.
Balanced output or not there is some light hiss when no music is playing . I took my Pixel and put it on top of the R6 Pro and no noise.

My international version is running Hiby v1.35.

Did you turn off your WiFi and Bluetooth and did that change the noise intensity? I believe almost 2X the power in both SE and balanced you will have more hiss with no signal to the amp .
Did matter if you had the unit in low gain and high gain setting?

Might just be defective .

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #887 of 4,006
I’m thinking this isn’t an issue with cables or sensitive IEMs because I’ve had the interference regardless of cable, earphone (including full size cans), or jack used. I’m thinking (just speculating) there was such a backlash over the R6’s WiFi strength and drop-outs that they designed the Pro to be much more sensitive which could make it more susceptible to interference. So far, I’ve experienced the interference with every iem, headphone, and cable I own but only if the R6 Pro is within a foot or so of my cell phone. I haven’t tried getting close to other wireless or Bluetooth devices yet.
I tested my my unit also and took my Pixel Xl with WiFi , Bluetooth on and sett he right next to each other and didn't here any added noise on my DM6's on 4.4 mm cable or using the MEE adapter or Ibasso 2,5 mm to 4,4 mm adapters.
Balanced output or not there is some light hiss when no music is playing . I took my Pixel and put it on top of the R6 Pro and no noise.

My international version is running Hiby v1.35.

Did you turn off your WiFi and Bluetooth and did that change the noise intensity? I believe almost 2X the power in both SE and balanced you will have more hiss with no signal to the amp .
Did matter if you had the unit in low gain and high gain setting?

Might just be defective .

Yeah, Bluetooth and wifi are off on my R6 PRO. It still can't be in proximity of my cellphone without going into a frenzy.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #888 of 4,006
Yeah, Bluetooth and wifi are off on my R6 PRO. It still can't be in proximity of my cellphone without going into a frenzy.

I’ll try this but I don’t see the point, not a real use case for me...

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #889 of 4,006
Strangely, the interference (crackling not hissing) is sporadic for me. Once it is happening, I can move the phone closer to the R6 Pro and it amplifies. Other times, I can set the phone directly on the R6 Pro with no interference at all. Weird! Still, it doesn’t happen enough to hinder my enjoyment of the device.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #890 of 4,006
Strangely, the interference (crackling not hissing) is sporadic for me. Once it is happening, I can move the phone closer to the R6 Pro and it amplifies. Other times, I can set the phone directly on the R6 Pro with no interference at all. Weird! Still, it doesn’t happen enough to hinder my enjoyment of the device.

Yeah, sounds similar to whats happening to me. Does this regardless if the r6 pro is connected to WiFi or Bluetooth.

For now, I've boxed up my R6 pro, and I'm not at home, but does the r6 pro have an airplane mode?

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #892 of 4,006
Yeah, sounds similar to whats happening to me. Does this regardless if the r6 pro is connected to WiFi or Bluetooth.

For now, I've boxed up my R6 pro, and I'm not at home, but does the r6 pro have an airplane mode?
The R6 Pro does have an airplane mode under Network and Internet Settings but most of the time I am streaming via Tidal or Qobuz so airplane mode doesn’t help my main use-case situation at work. In any case, I turned airplane mode on for the R6 Pro and was eventually able to get the interference to occur with Bluetooth enabled on my iPhone. Like I said before though, it is only sporadic for me anyway.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #893 of 4,006
Has anyone tested the r6 pro in balanced mode? I got Hifiman Edition X v2 headphones and am debating on a used R6 with portable amp like IFI iDSD or get an r6 pro. I saw it puts out 750mw in balanced mode and am curious if the amp in the pro can really push my headphones almost like the Ifi might.

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #894 of 4,006
Well the review Joe noted over on Headfonia found the same/similar issues with the noise and interference.

I have to scratch my head though if it only impacts some units built and not others - independent of how much of an impact it is in real world listening situations. Or could it be related to domestic units versus international units? I would think that popping or anything that is detectable over the music is totally and completely unacceptable.

Let's hope they can determine what is actually causing the problem and thus potentially come up with a solution - you know - like doing real engineering investigation versus guessing or trial and error.

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #897 of 4,006
I have had mine a few days. International Version. A quick synopsis to help others.

Positives:

*The screen is fantastic-no other DAP can compete on this, and it’s not even close.
*GUI is so fast!!!!, moving files, internet access, bluetooth, switching apps is seamless in usage. Very well done. But keep reading though.
*Balanced 4.4mm output power, is just ridiculous. I can't even move past 50 for comfortable, chill listening. Feel like rocking out, jump to 75 and oh my goodness, it’s hard to sit down without moving!
*The sabre implementation is pretty spot on, pretty neutral, but no it’s not a giant killer, imo. It is priced ($$) right around its sound performance, imo. Don’t flame me, but it is very close to the DX4 DSD, with a much better amp. The amp is the best part of this device. If they offered the amp as a single unit, with the 4.4mm input/output and a 3.5mm SE input/output, say the size of the Q5 (without the DAC), that would be AWESOME. If you are coming from an AK chip based device, this device will be "brighter". Just my ears
*Wi-fi strength is much improved on versus the original R6, far less drops. Good job, Hiby.
*bluetooth playback is perfect on my device.

Negatives: EDIT: I switched a few different cables, from four different cable makers and I "think" the noise issues are due to variances in the actual 4.4mm male jack. Of all the 4.4mm cables I have, the only one that does NOT exhibit these weird noises, is the Ibasso cb12s-4.4mm mmcx cable. So props to Ibasso. I don't understand why these cables work fine in my DX200, wm1a, but cause issues with this R6Pro-off the 4.4mm jack. Differences in tolerances on the male end, or contacts inside the R6Pro jack? My 3.5mm jack, with different cans, iems and all sorts of cables does not exhibit the background noise. So this too is a major positive and things are looking up.

The interference concerns are apparent on my device. The noise on mine happens when playing music off the micro SD CARD. I can hear the processor, almost like an older tape hard drive clicking/spinning down. It clicks in rapid succession (oddly in the LEFT channel only) and then it click/pops then stops. Start music again, and it disappears. Odd one, for sure. I also don’t find the background, what I would call “black”. I would probably not use this device on very sensitive iems or cans, if you find hissing problematic. Turn the music up, just a tad, and it is gone.

The device needs a software update asap, as I don't "think" all of this a hardware failure, or QC issues. I had the original R6 (first batch) and never experienced this, nor have I heard this on any other DAP that I have ever owned (quite a few). I do NOT have bluetooth interference, but I can hear data/processor background noise when wifi is connected and streaming.

Tidal does not handle all MQA master files with the correct bitrate, which is a minor thing…again software, still a bummer though. Spotify works fine, I don't have a Qobuz account yet.

Also, I can confirm (a few posts back another customer had this issue) that sometimes, audio output will stop sometimes. For example, if I stream tidal or a podcast, stop playback. Turn off wi-fi. Then try and play a song through the Hiby app or other audio player, audio will be silent. The song will be playing, but no sound. It is as if the processor, or software is unable to release audio operations to the next application quickly. Restart the device and it’s back to normal. Be careful, though. If the audio is stalled, and the track is still playing, once you restart the device, music will start playing, right back where the song was playing. So, if the song was playing at 2:30, once you restart, the device will immediately start playing at 2:30. Crazy right? This is maybe pressing the app management, or the ability of the processor to offload audio to the next app quickly, too much.

Also transferring files through the USB C port, works intermittently. It is better to pull the card, load files and then reinstall. USB DAC does not work at the moment either, but I assume that is a driver issue, and with Chinese new year happening, it may be awhile to get that fixed. It has been awhile, but I remember this being an issue with my older R6, also. I thought this was fixed awhile back, although I have not read the R6 thread, in awhile. I have also noticed that the sd card does not appear upon reinsertion, on every occasion. Sometimes you have to reboot the device to get the sd card to reappear. Yes, I always unmount the card in android before removing it. I have a kingston 500gb, and a Samsung 400gb, both exhibit the same issues, and both work perfect on my other devices. I have NOT formatted the cards inside the R6Pro, so that may the cause of this. Maybe I will wipe my card, and format it, inside the DAP and then refill it, to see if the re-insertion problem disappears. I really don't want to re-load 500gb of data and then have to rescan the media library--but I will do that now.

Neutron passes through the ESS DAC correctly, USB Audio passes audio through the ESS DAC correctly, Pocketcast/Podcast addict do NOT. Poweramp does NOT pass through the ESS DAC (they will need to update the app). The sound through native android audio is noticeable worse, as to be expected.

It takes time to get firmware/software correct. Ibasso is still working on the DX200 after 2 years. Sony is still dropping features for the wm1a, two years later. If Hiby will take time and stick with the device, most of this will be fixed (I hope). Hardware is top notch, especially at this price point. But this is a lot of money for a music player, and the software should NOT be so beta, imo.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #898 of 4,006
I have had mine a few days. International Version. A quick synopsis to help others.

Negatives: EDIT: I switched a few different cables, from four different cable makers and I "think" the noise issues are due to variances in the actual 4.4mm male jack. Of all the 4.4mm cables I have, the only one that does NOT exhibit these weird noises, is the Ibasso cb12s-4.4mm mmcx cable. So props to Ibasso. I don't understand why these cables work fine in my DX200, wm1a, but cause issues with this R6Pro-off the 4.4mm jack. Differences in tolerances on the male end, or contacts inside the R6Pro jack? My 3.5mm jack, with different cans, iems and all sorts of cables does not exhibit the background noise. So this too is a major positive and things are looking up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this.

For awhile now, I thought I was the only one with a unit that had strange variances in noise coming from interference with my cellphhone. It looks like I can at least confirm that two other significant sources have experienced the same. Both users seem to be using the international version.

To those who do not hear interference noise, are you using the Chinese or the international version of the DAP?

Also, I'm glad you pointed out that the audible noise only comes from the left side of the headphone, because my device also only makes audible interference noise coming only through the left side of the headphone. For awhile, I suspected it was my cables because the severity of the issue was exasperated depending on what cable I was using. For me, my Fiio 4.4mm cables exhibit the worst amount of noise interference. Oddly, the most tolerable is my cheapo 20USD brainwavz 2.5mm cable that I use with the Caiyin 4.4mm adapter that was included with the R6 Pro. I'm thinking of buying the i-basso cable now that you've pointed out that you have the least amount of issues. Strangely, I wonder if those who do not hear interference is because of the type of cable they are using.

I think I'll do a bit more testing. I also happened to think that I had less audible noise coming from my 3.5mm ALO stock litz cable that came with my Andromedas. And yes, I agree. The noise from the impedance isn't as great as I thought it would be. My Hiby R3 exhibits way less white noise, but the R6 Pro is so much vastly superior in sound quality that I feel like I'm still losing too much by using the R3 despite the white noise. It's also a non issue as long as you aren't using a pair of sensitive IEMs at near silent. I tend to keep my Andromedas around 22-25, and the white noise isn't as noticeable. I'm sure there's a better term than white noise, but I'm not that knowledgeable, and I can't remember what people refer to it as.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #899 of 4,006
Hmmm. For awhile, I thought I was getting interference from the 3.5mm headphone jack, but I just tested it again. I don't get any interference using 3.5mm or it's almost completely inaudible. This is also with my cellphone (with bluetooth & and wifi enabled) and with wifi enabled on the R6 Pro. If I go back to 4.4mm, my headphones go nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back