HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Mar 31, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,726 of 1,971
These were steps given to me by MusicTeck to do a full reset in Android Recovery mode. They worked and the device is still running normally now.

While the device is powered on:
1. Press Power button and select Restart
2. When Restart starts, Press and hold the Skip Prev button (above Play button)

You will enter the screensaver for recovery mode, which looks like an Android lying on its back with its chest open, with the words "No command" underneath.

To enter Android Recovery mode:
1. Press and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press the Skip Prev button once again.

In there, use Volume wheel to navigate and power button to select. Run the following:
1. Wipe data/factory reset
Thank you! I’ll give it a try tonight. Fingers crossed.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,729 of 1,971
I have a curious issue. After BT box power off, the power / display on button (r6 new) does not work anymore. I cannot power off / enable display if I press the button. I can power off the device with soft power off via app only.... power on via button is working fine.... but after restart the device I have the same issue.... the screen will shown only after plugin the usb cable.....a whole factory reset does not fix that problem! Any idea?
In addition no power menu (on / off / restart) shown after press the button key while device is up and running. The reset function does not work in this case.....???
After fact. reset FW update done -> without access... :frowning2:
...in addition, double tap to wake up the display is working....curious....

... it seems the power button lost the android software power function...it seems anyone change it...without root....any idea to fix that issue?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,730 of 1,971
Hello guys, i have Fiio X5 ii and focal spirit pro and the first time i listen to then i got amazed, speechless. Now after some years i'm thinking for an upgrade and buy Hiby r6 2020 and fiio FD5. do you believe it will be a big sound upgrade over my existing setup??? will i hear the songs even better ???

Thanks a lot

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,731 of 1,971
I have a curious issue. After BT box power off, the power / display on button (r6 new) does not work anymore. I cannot power off / enable display if I press the button. I can power off the device with soft power off via app only.... power on via button is working fine.... but after restart the device I have the same issue.... the screen will shown only after plugin the usb cable.....a whole factory reset does not fix that problem! Any idea?
In addition no power menu (on / off / restart) shown after press the button key while device is up and running. The reset function does not work in this case.....???
After fact. reset FW update done -> without access... :frowning2:
...in addition, double tap to wake up the display is working....curious....

... it seems the power button lost the android software power function...it seems anyone change it...without root....any idea to fix that issue?
As a former/disappointed R6 owner, I understand your frustration. With all the back-and-forth I've had with HiBy (three units defective in total), I finally just tossed my R6 (yes garbage), learned a lesson, and moved on.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,732 of 1,971
The R6 new is a superb player...this was the first time that the whole device stucks. BUT it seems the whole power management was destroyed for this device. Auto shutdown if idle did not work. The funny thing was, I restarted the device in safe mode....the problem was, no SW power off worked in this mode.... mmmh, HW power off not working, SW power off not working..... the one and only way to restart the device was to discharge the battery and et voila the device shutdown fixed the power management issue (maybe with a auto reset after empty battery). It seems a factory reset is not working in this case.... but WHAT is a "factory reset"?
The device is up and working fine again. :)

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,733 of 1,971
I have had the Hiby New R6 2020 DAP for over a month and have used it every day since. MusicTeck was where I purchased it and I wouldn't recommend any other seller besides the Hiby site itself. I'm really picky when it comes to my audio, both playback device and listening device. It's gotten to the point where using a phone to do music playback when it does so many other processes at the same time is an exercise in futility. If you love audio, run full quality files, have your own music library, and need it to be reliable, this is the type of device you should be running. Is it convenient to run a second device dedicated to audio? Yes. Very. The R6 2020 is Android based but they literally built the device to bypass Android audio routing and instead run their own audio solution, and I'm not just talking DACs. There's too much to list as to what the R6 2020 is capable of, and it will burn through the battery in less than a day; but when you buy a fast car with a big engine, does it not eat up fuel at an equally alarming rate? You're paying for horsepower. You get that and then some. Solid wireless connections, reliable software (the Hiby Music app is literally the best player app there has been in recent memory), and it's got PHYSICAL buttons for volume control as well as pause/play and skip forward/backward. Regular and balanced out including 3.5 and 4.4 (total of 4), Micro SD slot (I run a Samsung Evo 512GB without issue), USB DAC, USB OTG, BRIGHT 5 inch display, it basically sells itself. The only other version of DAP I'd consider is the RS6, and that's almost twice the cost and a whole different ballgame. The R6 2020 is a worthy successor to the Zune, the only device that remembers the importance of music where Apple forgot, and it does so without fail. I cannot praise it enough.

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #1,734 of 1,971
I’ve been impressed by the R6 New’s sounds and capabilities, but it seem quality control is an issue or its internal components are very fragile. I fixed the playback bugs, but a week later the power suddenly died and I can’t restart or reboot it. Very frustrating.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,735 of 1,971
I’ve been impressed by the R6 New’s sounds and capabilities, but it seem quality control is an issue or its internal components are very fragile. I fixed the playback bugs, but a week later the power suddenly died and I can’t restart or reboot it. Very frustrating.
Like any electronic device, I recommend a case like the leather one Hiby makes for it. A screen protector is included with it but there is a better tempered glass hybrid one made by some German company, can't recall the name. Definitely not made to be dropped, not a rugged device by any means. Stick to good name brand chargers and cables too. It supports Qualcomm Quick Charge, but not Power Delivery (even though it WILL charge over a PD setup, just at reduced speed). If I had to give it any demerits, it would be that Bluetooth can be finicky when disconnecting from one audio device (i.e. bluetooth speaker, bluetooth headphones) the proper way though the menu and then trying to connect to another. Often it requires the Bluetooth to be turned off and then back on through the R6 2020 menu, then everything works as it should. Another issue is with USB OTG storage removal. It has to be ejected through the Storage menu in Settings which is a minor hassle but it works fine. Outside of that, I have ran my R6 2020 ragged at least 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, for over a month, and that's the only things I found worth noting. That's pretty good in my book.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #1,736 of 1,971
Like any electronic device, I recommend a case like the leather one Hiby makes for it. A screen protector is included with it but there is a better tempered glass hybrid one made by some German company, can't recall the name. Definitely not made to be dropped, not a rugged device by any means. Stick to good name brand chargers and cables too. It supports Qualcomm Quick Charge, but not Power Delivery (even though it WILL charge over a PD setup, just at reduced speed). If I had to give it any demerits, it would be that Bluetooth can be finicky when disconnecting from one audio device (i.e. bluetooth speaker, bluetooth headphones) the proper way though the menu and then trying to connect to another. Often it requires the Bluetooth to be turned off and then back on through the R6 2020 menu, then everything works as it should. Another issue is with USB OTG storage removal. It has to be ejected through the Storage menu in Settings which is a minor hassle but it works fine. Outside of that, I have ran my R6 2020 ragged at least 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, for over a month, and that's the only things I found worth noting. That's pretty good in my book.

I’ve had mine for a couple weeks. Your impressions match mine. I have it in a TPU case and I concur that it needs some kind of case and a screen protector. It’s solid feeling but I wouldn’t drop it. And as far as Bluetooth goes, that kind of behavior seems more or less normal for Bluetooth generally. It isn’t the most stable or user friendly protocol.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #1,737 of 1,971
I just realized I left out an additional 8 hours a night overnight streaming LiveXLive while I sleep over Bluetooth to my Soundcore Wakey Bluetooth Alarm Clock. That I do 7 days a week. So that's an additional 56 hours a week I didn't mention earlier and still my results remain the same on performance. Hasn't let me down yet.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,738 of 1,971
The name of the German company that makes the hybrid glass screen protector is Atfolix. I have attached photos of the one I used for my R6 2020. It is indicated for a RS6, but if you have a GOOD pair of scissors (i.e. Kai), you can trim it a little to fit the R6 2020 as I have without issue. I use it and it's great. Registers touch much better than the built in cheap screen protector Hiby included on the R6 2020 from the factory. Just make sure you swap the cheap screen protector out for the Atfolix in a steam filled bathroom to avoid dust getting trapped under the protector sheet.

Attachments

• 20220417_163832.jpg
    20220417_163832.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220417_163844.jpg
    20220417_163844.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220417_163855.jpg
    20220417_163855.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,739 of 1,971
The name of the German company that makes the hybrid glass screen protector is Atfolix. I have attached photos of the one I used for my R6 2020. It is indicated for a RS6, but if you have a GOOD pair of scissors (i.e. Kai), you can trim it a little to fit the R6 2020 as I have without issue. I use it and it's great. Registers touch much better than the built in cheap screen protector Hiby included on the R6 2020 from the factory. Just make sure you swap the cheap screen protector out for the Atfolix in a steam filled bathroom to avoid dust getting trapped under the protector sheet.

Huh, the RS6 and R6 2020 have identical screen size (and identical chassis size etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back