HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #977 of 1,971
So there was a UAPP update available. I did it and it may be my imagination as I didn't listen before hand but it seems it may open and separate a touch more.

I'm going to run it in more balanced to make sure it's representative since my initial run in was single ended only.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #978 of 1,971
Does anyone use linux bluetooth with the r6 2020? I am able to connect to ios (aac), windows 10 (ldac) and while linux shows connected, and shows LDAC as the codec, no actual sound comes through (it shows LDAC 0khz as opposed to say windows, which shows LDAC 44.1khz or whatever the output may be). Linux bluetooth works on other devices (r3/sony wm1a both show ldac correctly). i've done the usual (reboot, restart bluez/bluetooth, verify device is paired, verified pulseaudio sees it, removed and re-paired, etc.). it's also certainly not muted on either end. Pulseaudio volume control shows actual activity on the sound bars so data is being sent via bluetooth, just the player is not switching on the audio it seems. Anyone else run into this? USB dac mode works fine on the player, so it's not some kind of incompatibility that I can find.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #979 of 1,971
Does anyone use linux bluetooth with the r6 2020? I am able to connect to ios (aac), windows 10 (ldac) and while linux shows connected, and shows LDAC as the codec, no actual sound comes through (it shows LDAC 0khz as opposed to say windows, which shows LDAC 44.1khz or whatever the output may be). Linux bluetooth works on other devices (r3/sony wm1a both show ldac correctly). i've done the usual (reboot, restart bluez/bluetooth, verify device is paired, verified pulseaudio sees it, removed and re-paired, etc.). it's also certainly not muted on either end. Pulseaudio volume control shows actual activity on the sound bars so data is being sent via bluetooth, just the player is not switching on the audio it seems. Anyone else run into this? USB dac mode works fine on the player, so it's not some kind of incompatibility that I can find.
Not a Linux user, but I can confirm while it works with my Mac in both receiver and emitter modes, for some reason it won’t pair with the Apple TV, let alone receive audio.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #980 of 1,971
New firmware (1.17G) is out. Note that Amazon HD now works properly at 24/192.

1. Added function for [swipe right on screen] = return button;

2. Added quick settings to rotate screen 180 degrees;

3. Added function for [USB audio input without power supply]. With the mode toggle on, USB power will not be supplied to the player when connected to the computer;

4. Added maximum option to battery charging. With the mode toggle on, the charging will stop after the battery volume reaches the preset value;

5. Added Text to Speech (TTS) engine;

6. Updated the built-in HiBy Music app to 1.6.2 Professional Edition;

7. Various other bug fixes.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #981 of 1,971

3. Added function for [USB audio input without power supply]. With the mode toggle on, USB power will not be supplied to the player when connected to the computer;

4. Added maximum option to battery charging. With the mode toggle on, the charging will stop after the battery volume reaches the preset value;

The update is available for both the chinese and the international version.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #982 of 1,971

Thank you for the heads up!
Now it simply always shows “192k” when there is playback from Amazon music HD. Even when the track quality is 44.1khz.... is this normal?

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #984 of 1,971
Now it simply always shows “192k” when there is playback from Amazon music HD. Even when the track quality is 44.1khz.... is this normal?

Yes, that's how Amazon has worked on the other HD compatible android DAPs that I have seen.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #985 of 1,971
The updates arrived me today, amazon works now with 192kbps. Nice sound... For the R8 came the same update....🎧😊🎧

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #986 of 1,971
Yes same on my R6 2020 and R6 pro, showing 192 k even when I know track is 16/44.1, it even triggers off orange operating light on hiby players as if it is playing 192 track. (should be blue) I was thinking of changing to Amazon HD instead of Tidal when Tidal had a few issues last week, and am trying one months trial on Amazon, but this doesn't fill me with confidence, think I'll stick with Tidal

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #987 of 1,971
The updates arrived me today, amazon works now with 192kbps. Nice sound... For the R8 came the same update....🎧😊🎧

The same update between R8 and R6 2020. I know amazon Ultra HD finally shows 192kHz sample rate, it didn't show before, but the same is also shown with HD tracks. So, should we assume it is streaming at 192kHz sampling rate? I was listening to R8, streaming amazon this morning and now after the update, and at least to my ears the sound is more expanded and more dynamic. Hopefully it is not a placebo effect :D

1613752478835.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #989 of 1,971
The same update between R8 and R6 2020. I know amazon Ultra HD finally shows 192kHz sample rate, it didn't show before, but the same is also shown with HD tracks. So, should we assume it is streaming at 192kHz sampling rate? I was listening to R8, streaming amazon this morning and now after the update, and at least to my ears the sound is more expanded and more dynamic. Hopefully it is not a placebo effect :D

1613752478835.png

That seems to be how Amazon Ultra HD works. I have seen a fair amount of discussion on this in other threads where the thought is that Amazon is bit-padding and upsampling to 24/192 for these lower quality tracks...

I'm not sure that upsampling is bad, but I would definitely prefer bitperfect. I suppose one advantage of Amazon's approach is that you don't get any noise/clicks/pops due to sample rate changes between tracks. I often experience this with UAPP.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #990 of 1,971
That seems to be how Amazon Ultra HD works. I have seen a fair amount of discussion on this in other threads where the thought is that Amazon is bit-padding and upsampling to 24/192 for these lower quality tracks...

I'm not sure that upsampling is bad, but I would definitely prefer bitperfect. I suppose one advantage of Amazon's approach is that you don't get any noise/clicks/pops due to sample rate changes between tracks. I often experience this with UAPP.
Interesting info... but why would Amazon still say it is “Playing at ... 44.1khz” in their menu?

If Amazon Music HD is upsampling when the device is capable of more, I would expect it to be reflected in their own streaming data, yet it seems to show it’s still playing 44.1k tracks at 44.1k per their own info.

On the other hand, the DAP is supposed to be bit-perfect (especially with Hiby’s DTA tech), so why does it show 192K (and even the orange beacon light is up) when the original track is only 44.1k?

So... which one is it... is it purely an Amazon Music HD issue.. how do Qobuz, Deezer and TIDAL behave, could anyone comment?

Sorry, these questions aren’t directed at you specifically.

Perhaps @Joe Bloggs could clarify?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back