HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #631 of 1,971
I personally feel res on this unit is pretty great and it's far from aggressive or artificially dynamic. That said, I only use IEMs and I'm sure some of the pricier players have a bit more gravitas in their presentation. The mobile ess chips allows this sort of runtime etc with this fully implemented symmetrical configuration.

Earlier ESS DACs have sounded a bit more aggressive in some configurations. I do not hear any of that aggressive nature here as it's quite refined but as I've said, it could be a touch weightier in presentation with Hiby player though very open. Uapp player presents a more solid and grounded take. Between hiby player and uapp I get very smooth and open to more tangible takes on the sound.

That said, none of these players are perfect but I would not be willing to give up the apparent speed or transient quality here for a bit of extra mid color or weight with a rounder presentation at this (any) price point. There are always tradeoffs. Single ended takes so far and I suspect it will pick up some color balanced. Unlike others I don't always prefer balanced configurations but this looks extremely well configured for same. I am anxious to try when I get a proper cable..

Others will have different ideas about this. Viva la difference :relaxed:.
I agree pretty much with your assessment here.
I also have played it only in se out. Yet compared to my micro black, this player is nowhere close to the quality of sound the micro is capable of!
Can anyone else chime in on that?
P.S. I'm afraid to compare it to my v50...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #632 of 1,971
And now David? DAP #3?

Yeah, even #4 counting DX160 :p
I needed a mid tier DAP, for mid tier IEM reviews and also I have AKM, Cirrus needed one ESS powered DAP :)
Also it would seem R6 2020 is more reference and that's super useful as a reviewer.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #633 of 1,971
I also have played it only in se out. Yet compared to my micro black, this player is nowhere close to the quality of sound the micro is capable of!
I'm liking Hiby player better with time. happy with it or uapp. Nice to have a couple sigs beyond intentional alterings.
I'm a big fan of BB/TI DACs like in your black if done right. Closest to r2r solidity for PCM files. You'd think a dedicated thick track brick for only DAC and amp would have an advantage.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #634 of 1,971
I'm liking Hiby player better with time. happy with it or uapp. Nice to have a couple sigs beyond intentional alterings.
I'm a big fan of BB/TI DACs like in your black if done right. Closest to r2r solidity for PCM files. You'd think a dedicated thick track brick for only DAC and amp would have an advantage.
The hiby clearly tops the LG v series but will i keep it? I do not know.
Where will i get a dap that compares to or exceeds the quality of sound i get from the micro black???
At least this venture reaffirmed my belief that the micro was well worth it 😉

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #637 of 1,971
I just posted my video review.

You mentioned in your review that you're finding better results with even an older gen external portable amplifier for harder to drive phones. Would you say the same for IEMs that do not need the power? If so, what portable amps with maximising IEM quality as the main goal would you suggest looking into?

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #638 of 1,971
I am interested in that too!

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #639 of 1,971
The hiby clearly tops the LG v series but will i keep it? I do not know.
Where will i get a dap that compares to or exceeds the quality of sound i get from the micro black???
At least this venture reaffirmed my belief that the micro was well worth it 😉
That's where the R8 comes in...

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #640 of 1,971
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #641 of 1,971

Will you be trying it out of the balanced output as well? Additionally, you can compare the sound signature of DAC sctions by connecting it to your iDSD’s audio line-in so they are being amplified equally!

Are you also noticing the thinness with your IEMs? Or just with your Beyers and Focals(?)

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #642 of 1,971
Will you be trying it out of the balanced output as well? Additionally, you can compare the sound signature of DAC sctions by connecting it to your iDSD’s audio line-in so they are being amplified equally!

Are you also noticing the thinness with your IEMs? Or just with your Beyers and Focals(?)
Yes, i have cables on the way. I also have the FH7 coming in today. The thinnes can be eq'd out in the most part it seems.
I will be trying to compare better when there is time.
I have been using uapp alot now, and the morphit feture has been most helpful and has shown me that the sound can be much fuller.
Tidal is sounding prettu good too, the tidal filter suits well here.
Only iem i have is the tin t2 and that just can't reproduce the highs properly, but is soo good with acoustic and less busy music.
Will post later 😁

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #643 of 1,971
I'm new to uapp but in settings on that app, you can go to settings/internal hires audio/upsample/turn on integer multiple upsampling and check that box, didn't care to change any of the other audio settings there. In Hiby audio settings, I prefer Minimum Phase Slow roll-Off in Low-pass antialiasing filter setting. For Hiby player I use the 2nd from the bottom filter. Not always a fan of upsampling but integer multiple is the right way as it should simply multiply bits and not interpret and it seems to work here to open it up even more without adversely affecting prat.

The thing that bothers me least about audio is general tonality of a device unless just way off or wrong because that is often as much a result of interfacing and expectations as anything else. Tonality will be described as compared to what came before and interfacing.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #644 of 1,971
I'm new to uapp but in settings on that app, you can go to settings/internal hires audio/upsample/turn on integer multiple upsampling and check that box, didn't care to change any of the other audio settings there. Seems to work on both the hiby and uapp players. In Hiby audio settings, I prefer Minimum Phase Slow roll-Off in Low-pass antialiasing filter setting which also seems to affect both apps. Not always a fan of upsampling but integer multiple is the right way as it should simply multiply bits and not interpret and it seems to work here to open it up even more without adversely affecting prat.

The thing that bothers me least about audio is general tonality of a device unless just way off or wrong because that is often as much a result of interfacing and expectations as anything else. Tonality will be described as compared to what came before and interfacing.
Uapp does warn you that upsampling may have adverse effects on the music.
Thanks for tha advice, will try more things.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #645 of 1,971
Uapp does warn you that upsampling may have adverse effects on the music.
Thanks for tha advice, will try more things.
Same on some other settings. Likely has to do with hardware on the devices not being applicable or simply too weak. Hiby hardware is top notch..
as for the upsampling, from what I can tell, it's only in effect when uapp is open but does affect Hiby player when both open. I like it on UAPP, not sure if so on Hiby player. May be redundant there and why Hiby initially sounds more open. Only listened a short time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back