HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #1,186 of 1,971
Detail is improved on R6 2020 . I feel dynamics are better on R6 Pro . If you are using Tidal a lot like I do , you will get a lot of pop noises at the beginning of MQA tracks . If you have playlists like I do which mix MQA and regular 16/44 , expect to hear pops when you get to the MQA track .
Are they singular pops or would you classify the sound as a "crackle" or "static"? I'm trying to figure out if what I'm hearing on my R6 2020 is "normal" for this player...

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,188 of 1,971
The static is sort of like listening to an old record but then it clears up right away.
I really hope they fix it eventually but ultimately it's not a deal breaker. The increased cost for the slower DX300 isn't worth it just to eliminate the crackles when playing MQA files imo.

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #1,189 of 1,971
The static is sort of like listening to an old record but then it clears up right away.
I really hope they fix it eventually but ultimately it's not a deal breaker. The increased cost for the slower DX300 isn't worth it just to eliminate the crackles when playing MQA files imo.
We will have to disagree on this one . It is not a low subtle pop .

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,190 of 1,971
Mar 29, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,192 of 1,971

Can't comment on pops since I don't listen to mqa, but dx300 has the same snapdragon 660 processor and the same Android 9 and identical AnTuTu 3D benchmark scores with the same performance as R8 and R6 2020. So, not sure why "slower dx300"? Increased cost is due to a modular design where you can swap amps. R6 2020 is a fantastic dap if you don't need those extra features but all these 3 daps perform the same in terms of android performance.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,193 of 1,971
Regardless of it using the same hardware, editors reported that the usability was slightly behind in overall performance and speed of usability. It's the sole reason I opted to get the New R6 over anything else. For the price, it punches well above it's weight.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #1,194 of 1,971
For anyone curious, Hifigo sells the leather R6 case with the laser cut aluminum logo and it's currently on sale for $66USD.

I purchased it on March 2nd and it just arrived in California today.
fxLF79nh.jpg

The fitment is perfect.
The stitch job is straight and consistent.
Every edge of the case has been burnished.
The back is vented to allow heat dissipation.

Hope this helps someone.
My case from Hifigo arrived today, but it’s the exact same case as the one that came for free with the DAP.

Seems like the one with the metal vents are meant for distribution in select regions only. I’m in Southeast Asia.

Still waiting for clarification from Hifigo.

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,195 of 1,971
Detail is improved on R6 2020 . I feel dynamics are better on R6 Pro . If you are using Tidal a lot like I do , you will get a lot of pop noises at the beginning of MQA tracks . If you have playlists like I do which mix MQA and regular 16/44 , expect to hear pops when you get to the MQA track .
That's why I'm sold out in 3 weeks . As look like Hiby cannot solve this issues so far from old model and R5 even R8 .

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,197 of 1,971
Interesting how the comments went from (honeymoon?) great impressions and everyone raving to lately mostly ones filled with negativity ... is this the typical cycle here that one should get used to?
Sorry, still new to Head-Fi.

On subject though - does anyone know how far behind (if it is) the R6 2020 behind the Shanling M8 from the perspective of SQ, noise floor, bass extension and overall.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,198 of 1,971
Interesting how the comments went from (honeymoon?) great impressions and everyone raving to lately mostly ones filled with negativity ... is this the typical cycle here that one should get used to?
I thought most of the negative comments were just about MQA handling. I've been following along because I'm considering getting this player. I don't use MQA, so it's still looking good.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,199 of 1,971

On subject though - does anyone know how far behind (if it is) the R6 2020 behind the Shanling M8 from the perspective of SQ, noise floor, bass extension and overall.
If i found this issues during audition I might not buy it , as pop noise before every track on mqa or switching sampling in dsd or hires file still occur that . IMHO Noise should not occur for the high level DAP like this

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,200 of 1,971
I’ve had my R6 2020 for a couple of days now (big thanks to @MusicTeck) and I can also hear a *slight* (to my ears) pop at the beginning of MQA tracks. I *don’t* hear them when playing the same Tidal tracks through UAPP, though, for what it’s worth.

I likely won’t continue with Tidal after my trial ends anyway, as I prefer Qobuz, so it’s not a huge issue for me, but I could see how it might get annoying. But overall so far, I’m pretty happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back