HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #241 of 1,971
So, Twister, when do you think you will be posting a full review on your website?

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #242 of 1,971
Still eyeing this as perhaps one of the few "mid"-priced (i.e., ~ $700 - $1,200 general price range) we might see going forward as it appears makers like Fiio are acknowledging the market seems to really only support "low"-priced and "high"-priced DAPs. Perhaps I'm assuming waaay too much...probably. Interested to see what, if anything, Sony does in the DAP space over the next 12-18 months.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #243 of 1,971
Just a few quick impressions. First of all, pitch black background from 4.4mm output at high gain. I have R8 in turbo/HG vs R6'20 in HG, using EE Odin, playing my Agnes Obel "The Curse" test track where you can spot hissing easily in the first 30second, and R6 '20 is dead quiet. The R6 Pro SS bal output is noisy with sensitive iems, but R6 '20 is not. So, that's a good sign.

In terms of tonality, R8 is still warmer and more natural relative to R6 '20 which has a more neutral/revealing tonality, nearly identical to R6 Pro SS. But just because R6 '20 and R6 Pro SS share the same tonality, R6 '20 technical performance definitely shows improvement, such as wider soundstage expansion (relative to Odin from 4.4mm bal output at HG), better imaging, also seems like better layering between sounds, with more air between layers.
Now that is interesting. Glad to hear the noise on the R6 2020 is down from the R6 Pro and R8 (that's the first thing I spotted in HiBy's published specs). I still don't hear any noise with my IEMs on the R8 using HG Turbo but then perhaps it depends on how sensitive your IEMs are and how sensitive your hearing is too.

As for tonality, I'm surprised you say the R6 Pro is more neutral than the R8. I hear it very much the opposite, with the R6 Pro having a fuller, warmer tone than the R8.

Great to hear the R6 2020 opens up the stage and sharpens up the imaging. That's one of the big differences I'm hearing between the R8 and R6 Pro, so if the R6 2020 makes up some of that ground and gets closer to the R8 in technicalities, it's going to be a huge step forward in this price range I think.

As always looking forward to more of your impressions.

PS. Do you think the neutrality you're hearing can be attributed to the R6 2020 (and R6 Pro's) use of Sabre DACs as opposed to the more 'natural' sounding AKM DACs in the R8, or is it a factor of how HiBy tuned each of these players?

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #244 of 1,971
Damn Hiby... reading here, New R6 would be my next DAP

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #246 of 1,971
Now that is interesting. Glad to hear the noise on the R6 2020 is down from the R6 Pro and R8 (that's the first thing I spotted in HiBy's published specs). I still don't hear any noise with my IEMs on the R8 using HG Turbo but then perhaps it depends on how sensitive your IEMs are and how sensitive your hearing is too.

As for tonality, I'm surprised you say the R6 Pro is more neutral than the R8. I hear it very much the opposite, with the R6 Pro having a fuller, warmer tone than the R8.

Great to hear the R6 2020 opens up the stage and sharpens up the imaging. That's one of the big differences I'm hearing between the R8 and R6 Pro, so if the R6 2020 makes up some of that ground and gets closer to the R8 in technicalities, it's going to be a huge step forward in this price range I think.

As always looking forward to more of your impressions.

PS. Do you think the neutrality you're hearing can be attributed to the R6 2020 (and R6 Pro's) use of Sabre DACs as opposed to the more 'natural' sounding AKM DACs in the R8, or is it a factor of how HiBy tuned each of these players?

All relative to testing with Odin and volume matched in every comparison, I hear R6 '20 / R6 Pro a bit brighter and thinner in mids than R8 which I hear with a fuller body when it comes to mids/vocals. Also, R6 Pro and R8 have stronger bass impact while R6 '20 bass response in pair up with Odin is a bit softer. And out of all 3, R6 '20 has a little more sparkle in treble, while R8 has the least which I also think one of the contributing factors to my perception of R8 being smoother and a little warmer.

Now, neither R6 '20 nor R6 Pro are bright or thinner tuned DAPs, I'm just sharing how I hear it relative to R8 with a particular IEM. Of course, my subjective "hearing" opinion :wink:

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #247 of 1,971
All relative to testing with Odin and volume matched in every comparison, I hear R6 '20 / R6 Pro a bit brighter and thinner in mids than R8 which I hear with a fuller body when it comes to mids/vocals. Also, R6 Pro and R8 have stronger bass impact while R6 '20 bass response in pair up with Odin is a bit softer. And out of all 3, R6 '20 has a little more sparkle in treble, while R8 has the least which I also think one of the contributing factors to my perception of R8 being smoother and a little warmer.

Now, neither R6 '20 nor R6 Pro are bright or thinner tuned DAPs, I'm just sharing how I hear it relative to R8 with a particular IEM. Of course, my subjective "hearing" opinion :wink:
Explains it perfectly. Unfortunately, punchier bass and fuller mids are my preference. Now that you mention it, R6 Pro mids are slightly brighter and also more forward than the R8, which is probably why I hear the R8 as so much more spacious. The way it's opened up the soundstage width and depth and height of the Nio (especially the Nio MX) needed to be heard to be believed. It's the first time a source has substantially upgraded the sound of high-end IEMs for me. Here's hoping the R6 2020 has a similar effect, albeit with a slightly different tuning.

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #248 of 1,971
... and the "money shot". This is AnTuTu 3D benchmark score, both R8 and R6 2020 scored nearly the same, as expected due to Snapdragon 660 SoC. For the reference, the next fastest DAP, is fiiO M15 with 108450 score, Thus, R8/R6'20 still hold the title of the fastest Android DAP.

1607695519206.png

Hibys results seem pretty low compared to low budget smartphone like 2019 's Redmi Note 8 Pro :

xtest_antutu_3420_288911.png.pagespeed.ic.eWXq3ncWAa.png

Short lifespan ?

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #249 of 1,971
Hibys results seem pretty low compared to low budget smartphone like 2019 's Redmi Note 8 Pro :

xtest_antutu_3420_288911.png.pagespeed.ic.eWXq3ncWAa.png

Short lifespan ?
That will always be the case with Android DAPs. Now compare HiBy's results to $3500 DAPs like A&K SP2000 (if you can even run AnTuTu on them). They literally blow away every other DAP in terms of speed and performance. 75% faster than the FiiO M15 for example, probably even more so than the Shanling M6 Pro and M8. Also, consider the AnTuTu score doesn't tell the whole story, because the phones are strapped with full, bloated Android and the DAPs are stripped down, making them much faster in practice.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #250 of 1,971
Explains it perfectly. Unfortunately, punchier bass and fuller mids are my preference. Now that you mention it, R6 Pro mids are slightly brighter and also more forward than the R8, which is probably why I hear the R8 as so much more spacious. The way it's opened up the soundstage width and depth and height of the Nio (especially the Nio MX) needed to be heard to be believed. It's the first time a source has substantially upgraded the sound of high-end IEMs for me. Here's hoping the R6 2020 has a similar effect, albeit with a slightly different tuning.

you should try Shanling M6 PRO

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #251 of 1,971
you should try Shanling M6 PRO
I think if it's not the new R6 I'm going to go upmarket. And the R8 exists. But I'll still give the R6 a go first. I love the R6 Pro, but with the feature enhancements of the new R6 it's worth the plunge, no disrespect to Shanling.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #254 of 1,971

Users who are viewing this thread

Back