HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #991 of 1,076
Class A sounds better. Period. It is not just louder. Oureion has been on here for weeks coming up with reasons to send his back or keep it. Some just can’t enjoy their toys without analysis paralysis. If Oureion wants objective send it to a lab or invest in the equipment and tech to give data. These are inexpensive DAPs that perform. A great value and I’m happy some of us are able to enjoy it without the needless wonder.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #992 of 1,076
I don't know what is your problem here to be honest, I was asking for users opinions, I got one from one person, now I got yours and I appreciate that (no sarcasm here, honestly). But I don't understand, why are you getting offended and attack me, in addition write something that is bull****, because I don't want to send this device nowhere, I like it for different reasons, and even if I would like to, it would be too late for that anyway. But this doesn't mean I cannot question some of its capabilities and ask for opinions, because I paid for that device and am allowed to.

I only pointed out, that both modes have different volume and therefore it could be different to make an objective comparison. Both of you state "it is better. period" and if I don't agree with that, then I am dumb as **** and can't appreciate "great value". If I could afford it, I would send the device to a lab, yeah, but it's not worth for me.

But you're right, I'm sorry for asking, because this is an "audiophile" forum, where questioning someones beliefs, that "x sounds better, because I say so" is just not accepted. So have fun and next time don't get offended this fast. Peace out.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #993 of 1,076
I don't know what is your problem here to be honest, I was asking for users opinions, I got one from one person, now I got yours and I appreciate that (no sarcasm here, honestly). But I don't understand, why are you getting offended and attack me, in addition write something that is bull****, because I don't want to send this device nowhere, I like it for different reasons, and even if I would like to, it would be too late for that anyway. But this doesn't mean I cannot question some of its capabilities and ask for opinions, because I paid for that device and am allowed to.

I only pointed out, that both modes have different volume and therefore it could be different to make an objective comparison. Both of you state "it is better. period" and if I don't agree with that, then I am dumb as **** and can't appreciate "great value". If I could afford it, I would send the device to a lab, yeah, but it's not worth for me.

But you're right, I'm sorry for asking, because this is an "audiophile" forum, where questioning someones beliefs, that "x sounds better, because I say so" is just not accepted. So have fun and next time don't get offended this fast. Peace out.
Just ignore him ig. But the same has been said about mqa cuz it would make it louder just so it would "sound better" but was proven false. At this point I would say it would be similar sounding if it were same volume but easier to drive higher power iems and headphones as it maxes out the power.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #994 of 1,076
Honestly I don't care anymore and regret beginning this discussion. I asked for opinions and what i get is statements of facts. For me there is a difference between a subjective opinion (which I asked for), where users use words like "In my opinion...", "I think...", "For me" "it sounds better" and so on, and an objective fact (for example "the power output in class A mode is higher than in economy mode"). And all I get until now "It sounds better. Period", ie. accept that as a fact or you're dumb:)

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #996 of 1,076
Unfortunately you may be right here, this could be a bad idea from the start. If I had a real and affordable method to measure it objectively, I really would, you can believe me. And in general, why nobody tests this kind of stuff? I think for reviewers with necessary gear it would be pretty easy to review a device and put some graphs and diagrams about different device functions, in this case measure this DAPs FR in both modes with the same set of IEMs or headphones and look for any differences. One could also measure noise and distortion etc. But nobody does that. And this applies to many many other audio gear. Of course I could be wrong, but this makes me think, that the answer is simple: nobody wants that. Because when there are measurable results on paper, nobody can neglect them. And this makes me also think - why there needs to be a volume difference between both modes at this particular device, Hiby R5 Gen II? I know, more power, I get it, but I think the manufacturer could esily match the volume and I had no issue with that. And this makes me think further - maybe with perfect volume match switching between modes wouldn't be audible?
I don't say, that it is so, these are only my personal thoughts. Really don't anyone get offended, please don't be.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #997 of 1,076
I get what you’re saying. It’s a rabbit hole hobby. In my use with Tidal I’ve noticed that since I can longer play HiRes files from the Tidal app I have to use Hiby Player. Hiby Player sounds better, am I nuts?

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #998 of 1,076
Yes, that's another question for me, but I won't ask, no worry:) I think the music played via Hiby app sounds "somehow" better than with UAPP on my Hiby R5, but of course I cannot describe the difference and most probably my brain is tricking me again. And because there aren't any serious measurements to compare (of which I am aware of), the same applies also here - maybe it's there, but maybe not.

Rabit hole hobby is a good point here, I'm listening everyday for several hours to music since over 30 years. My gear isn't expensive by any means, but for someone who doesn't care, it is pretty expensive. I always "bought" everything I heard, this and that is better and so on. But in the last time I got curious and am starting to question many things. Read many topics here in Sound Science, some stuff on ASR forum and it made me thinking, if I spend my money on the right things. Because on the end what mostly matters is the end of this line - speakers or headphones/IEMs, they really do change the experience. Few weeks ago I bought my most expensive audio in my life - Sennheisers IE600 - and I'm blown away by the difference to my previous IEMs. Here I know, what I paid for 100%. But when it comes to DACs, DAPs I am not so sure.

Lastly I compared my dongle DAC iFi Go Link used with Foobar2000 on my PC with R5. Used my IE600 and my DT1990Pro with exactly the same FLAC file and tried to match the volume as it was possible. Did it again and again for a long time, also changed to different genres, but couldn't hear a real difference. Sometimes I thought it was there, but mostly there was nothing. Additionally I added a third component - my old Sony NW-A45. And again, couldn't find the difference. I don't say, that it is definitely not there, but I can't hear it, that's all. Maybe I'm too old now, maybe I'm deaf, don't know. But that makes me question different things and that's why I ask for honest opinions of other users.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #999 of 1,076

I dont know what your problem is really.

You ask for opinions and get upset when it doesnt align with your own. You're looking for confirmation bias. You need someone to hold your hand and tell you your right, which you are not. I'm not attacking you, I'm giving you my honest opinion which you asked for, if you want people to lie to you, just say so.

When I explain the particulars of what the difference is, you insult me and say its because its fletcher-munson curves? You can't even tell that the class A mode sounds better, which is the primary selling point of this dap.

I'm telling you, I don't hear any volume difference between class a on or off, if you care that much about it, I explained how you can test it. I dont care enough to do this.

You've been told class A sounds better by two people. You don't want to A/B test this out on others for their opinion. That sounds like you dont want to do this because it will indicate that you are wrong.

If you can't hear a difference then thats fine, don't get upset when others tell you there is a difference. Again, class A mode is a night and day difference, non audiophiles can hear the difference, I've tested it out on friends and family.

If you need a lab to tell you that class A sounds better, you may want to reconsider spending money in this hobby.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,000 of 1,076
And here we go again.

I asked for opinions, what I get are statements "IT sounds better. PERIOD, because I say so, if you cannot hear it, the you're wrong, you want to have confirmations bias, you get upset, because you don't want to hear it, you need someone to hold your hand, you want people to lie, you insult people, it is a night and day difference, non audiophiles can hear the difference".

Please be so kind and learn what the diffrence is between an opinion, a fact and a judgement.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #1,002 of 1,076
Don't you all really see the difference between "I don't notice..." and "It is better"? It is really so hard to say, that "I think something and it's my opinion" instead "it is so.period"? Does it hurt so much? I don't get it. Words have meaning for a reason. Sorry to you all for asking for anything and have a wonderful day, I'm not for a fight here.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,003 of 1,076
Hello all. I'm new here but had been lurking for a while. I did an impulse buy on a black friday R5ii $300 special. It's my first Android DAP and I mainly listen to my ALAC files on SD card, Apple Music, and Radio Paradise. I love this thing. It's a great size and it sounds great to my aging ears. The only thing I'm a little disappointed in so far is the standby time. In airplane mode with NOTHING running, I still lose ~2% an hour. I've rebooted to be sure nothing is running. I am running the latest firmware. Is this what others see? I've read posts where people only have to charge it every 3-4 days of light listening. Mine will definitely not do that as I'll lose ~30% overnight. Admittedly, I've only had it for 2 days and have read that Android takes some time to optimize battery usage. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance!

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,004 of 1,076
Hello all. I'm new here but had been lurking for a while. I did an impulse buy on a black friday R5ii $300 special. It's my first Android DAP and I mainly listen to my ALAC files on SD card, Apple Music, and Radio Paradise. I love this thing. It's a great size and it sounds great to my aging ears. The only thing I'm a little disappointed in so far is the standby time. In airplane mode with NOTHING running, I still lose ~2% an hour. I've rebooted to be sure nothing is running. I am running the latest firmware. Is this what others see? I've read posts where people only have to charge it every 3-4 days of light listening. Mine will definitely not do that as I'll lose ~30% overnight. Admittedly, I've only had it for 2 days and have read that Android takes some time to optimize battery usage. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance!
I'm still dailying an R5G2 and I go about 3 days between charges with pretty significant use in the standard mode (not Class A). I leave wifi on because I use it for syncing music, though I do have Bluetooth disabled because I never use it. 30% drain overnight is definitely excessive, I go to sleep with the R5G2 playing music and wake up with it having played all night and losing less than 30%.

If you're in Class A mode, I dunno kind of standby battery to expect there, I don't use it.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,005 of 1,076
I'm still dailying an R5G2 and I go about 3 days between charges with pretty significant use in the standard mode (not Class A). I leave wifi on because I use it for syncing music, though I do have Bluetooth disabled because I never use it. 30% drain overnight is definitely excessive, I go to sleep with the R5G2 playing music and wake up with it having played all night and losing less than 30%.

If you're in Class A mode, I dunno kind of standby battery to expect there, I don't use it.
Thanks, MRSallee,

Reading through a lot of the posts in this thread - it looks like many get great standby times. I don't think I'd get more than 9 hrs of battery life, and I'm not using class A. Maybe it's stuck on and isn't turning off when I tell it to? I can't really tell a difference between Class A and economy with my Grados. The player is a little warm in economy mode. I'll try Class A and see if it gets any warmer.

I haven't installed much on this player, but I did install an Airplay receiver app that starts up anytime it boots. I go in and have it shutdown to save any battery. I think I'll factory reset it and see what standby time I get before installing anything. I hope the Apple Music songs I've already downloaded on my SD card will be found when I re-install it later - that took time to offline them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back