HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Apr 15, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #61 of 1,076
Dongels are okay, I have nothing to complain about.
They are technically very well made, small, practical and handy.
They do a great job and have established themselves well.
The only drawback is the lack of amplification, which sounds better but is a little thinner here and there than mobile/battery-powered amplifiers, which are more powerful and technically better equipped.

And they both work on all operating systems so you never have to look back.

I don't understand, or rather it's not obvious to me, why daps are so technically equipped and then run on an outdated operating system.

When I buy a new smartphone or tablet of the new generation, it is up to date.
I don't understand why they don't do that with Daps either.
It's basically the same as a smartphone except that you can't make phone calls.

Regarding hacks, hacking the playlist would not be interesting.
With such a device, you already have account data, email, address etc....
Apart from that, a good hacker could also access the network.
So it's not completely without, we are probably uninteresting but abuse has already taken place in other ways, this would just be a back door to get access to the big one.

I don't want to scare anyone with this, in the end everyone does what they want to do.
Nevertheless, keep it in mind if you do buy one.

I also think daps are good and practical.
And I also think that you shouldn't always be dazzled by new technical features, but never a word is written about the safety of using them.
And I would also buy one if more was said about it.
Google doesn't develop a new operating system every year for nothing and doesn't plug any security gaps.

You probably have to dig deeper to find out how secure Wifi-enabled daps are in the network.
On the other hand, many users wanted to stream with it, including me.
Let's take the Cayin n3pro, which is top of the line and a pure player for $600 that doesn't support Dac and has a bit of trouble with Apple.
Who buys something like that today when a Hiby R5 or 6 can do more for less or the same price?

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #62 of 1,076
Well I have a high end Sony 1AM2 with Android 11 coming too, but fancied a cheap R5 anyway and this is cheaper for me in UK than the R5 Sabre. Worth a gamble, need to take a leap now and then 🙂

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #63 of 1,076
Well I have a high end Sony 1AM2 with Android 11 coming too, but fancied a cheap R5 anyway and this is cheaper for me in UK than the R5 Sabre. Worth a gamble, need to take a leap now and then 🙂
And this one actually bypasses Android SRC!

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #65 of 1,076
True, but the Sony does have a 32/192 mode for streaming apps to make it a non issue.

Unless you want bitperfect or MQA (Tidal) streaming. It's still an issue for some... :wink:

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #66 of 1,076
Unless you want bitperfect or MQA (Tidal) streaming. It's still an issue for some... :wink:
Yeh, MQA offline files with Tidal app not going to be as per source with the Sony, doesn't mean it won't sound good.

Amazon HD works fine to my ears on Sonys with the 32/192 mode enabled.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #67 of 1,076
Yeh, MQA offline files with Tidal app not going to be as per source with the Sony, doesn't mean it won't sound good.

Amazon HD works fine to my ears on Sonys with the 32/192 mode enabled.
Since Amazon upsamples everything to 48kHz if I’m not mistaken, Sony’s upsampling to a multiple of 48 is transparent. It’s with those 44.1kHz Tidal FLACs that you lose bit-perfect. I agree it will still sound good, and there’s always UAPP.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #68 of 1,076
Since Amazon upsamples everything to 48kHz if I’m not mistaken, Sony’s upsampling to a multiple of 48 is transparent. It’s with those 44.1kHz Tidal FLACs that you lose bit-perfect. I agree it will still sound good, and there’s always UAPP.

Amazon seems to upsample to 24/192 on my non-Sony DAPs with SRC bypass (even for lower bitrate content) which should be fine for Sony. Even with UAPP, you don't get MQA rendering though (just 1st unfold). Not interested in debating MQA, I just like bit-perfect and MQA to work as designed, which my old R5 does fine. And yes, the Sony's do sound good either way so maybe it doesn't really matter.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #70 of 1,076
does Hiby DAP come with playstore? Is there a DAP with good lineout and can install/sideload apps like UAPP and Wavelet for 400-500USD?
Wavelet requires android 9 and up, I believe. Which currently is only on Hiby R6 2020 and a bunch of more expensive DAPs.

It's funny because I was on the fence about buying a R5 Saber and the announcement of the R5 gen2 is what's making me take the plunge: I think it's going to be a great stopgap device while Hiby and Shanling get their game together for mid-fi DAPs in terms of android version..

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #71 of 1,076
Wavelet requires android 9 and up, I believe. Which currently is only on Hiby R6 2020 and a bunch of more expensive DAPs.

It's funny because I was on the fence about buying a R5 Saber and the announcement of the R5 gen2 is what's making me take the plunge: I think it's going to be a great stopgap device while Hiby and Shanling get their game together for mid-fi DAPs in terms of android version..

Yeah, for now you have to move up to FiiO M11 Plus for Android 10, Wavelet, etc...

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #72 of 1,076
Well, I decided to take the plunge on the R5 II. Shame about the Android version but maybe the SQ will make up for it with the Class A mode, and battery life in the efficiency mode.

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 1,076
Its going to be interesting comparing the R5GII to the 1AM2 when they both come! 😬

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #74 of 1,076
I'm very excited to hear impressions on this. I sorely need to replace my iPod Classic.

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #75 of 1,076
Subbed to the thread, maybe im in some other people dilema, which is:

The os does suck, for a 2022 release android 10 at least would be the least. Though class A amp is tempting, space is a big thing for me since i don’t fancy carrying 2 devices on me, and call me paranoid but i don’t like the idea of tethering wifi from my phone to another device. At the end the battery im trying to save, its used feeding wifi to other device (i stream a ton of stuff)

Anyway, lately ive been abusing the good ol dongle collection and find myself going more for the moonriver 2 and peek51. Will keep an eye on this thread, maybe ill get one based on usage and battery from other members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back