HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 7, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #331 of 1,076
Well for that issue to be a deal breaker... It's quite a positive actually.

Not saying that it ought not to be considered for an improvement point :)

May 7, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #332 of 1,076
Well for that issue to be a deal breaker... It's quite a positive actually.

Not saying that it ought not to be considered for an improvement point :)
Absolutely correct. And if one doesn't draw attention to deficiencies, they can never be considered for enhancement.

I was fair in my initial assessment, giving praise as well. In my case, I already also own a FiiO M15 unit, but it's far too big and heavy to lug around (it was purchased for home use). This HiBy R5II, because it is among the smaller units from the company, fits an outdoors, active use-case. I know I can return it, but have decided to keep it. I can find a place for it alongside my FiiO M15 and Cowon Plenue D units. Maybe they'll heed my complaint and address it, but my decision to keep it isn't contingent on that possibility.

May 7, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #333 of 1,076
Absolutely correct. And if one doesn't draw attention to deficiencies, they can never be considered for enhancement.

I was fair in my initial assessment, giving praise as well. In my case, I already also own a FiiO M15 unit, but it's far too big and heavy to lug around (it was purchased for home use). This HiBy R5II, because it is among the smaller units from the company, fits an outdoors, active use-case. I know I can return it, but have decided to keep it. I can find a place for it alongside my FiiO M15 and Cowon Plenue D units. Maybe they'll heed my complaint and address it, but my decision to keep it isn't contingent on that possibility.
Its not a fault or thing of complaint really. Your just highlighting a feature thats important to you that this DAP doesn't have. Its likely a non-issue for 99% of buyers.

Of course its right to raise a feature request.

May 7, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #334 of 1,076
Thought you could side load apps via APKPure?

https://m.apkpure.com/google-play-store/com.android.vending

Mine was from Hiby direct to UK and came configured English and with the Google apps.
It is actually not about the Google apps, but the services like play services. I can download YouTube music from apkpure but I can't log in because it requires google services. Same goes with play store, i can download and install it but I can't open it because it will always crash.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/hiby-r5-gen-2

In fairness to them it is noted pretty clearly that it is the Chinese version, although what that entails may be less than clear.
I might be wrong but when I order it before, one week ago I think, they didn't noted that information in their website yet.
There is always a possibility they updated their website. Website is not permanent after all.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #335 of 1,076
Unfortunately, this is a problem in the Chinese description.
Only the positive things are explained, but not the negative ones.
Or they are faked and never a word is written about them, usually not even commented on by the manufacturer himself.

With the Hidisz Ap80 Pro X, for example, it says that it is Apple komatiple connected to the Ipad, I get an error message on the Ipad and the player starts to go haywire.
So nothing with Lightning but only Bluethooth.
And we all know how bad the SBC mode of Apple devices is.

But the description said it was compatible with Apple devices.
And I see parallels in the description.
I also think it's stupid that as a US citizen or European you get the Chinese version and not the English version as it should be.

Sure there are updates and so on but how long do you wait for them?
That would be insufficient for me to pay 400-500 $ and then you stand there and don't know what to do.
I think that's really bad of the Chinese manufacturers.
They should at least leave an info in the description that you can get this version or only partially compatible, then I know as a supposed buyer where I am.
Especially since the Chinese service is sub-standard when it comes to repairs or returns.

May 7, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #336 of 1,076
If he would like to sell, dispose of or otherwise not use our device for any perceived shortcoming, that's entirely up to him.

Now, we wouldn't be able to replace his unit for this reported problem (nor would it help), but I think he knows that.
Being connected to track and field like I am I have NEVER seen anyone train, compete, practice, or otherwise with a DAP this size in their hand. But, the feature ‘deficiency’ you point out may help Hiby and those who want this feature in the future.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #337 of 1,076
It is actually not about the Google apps, but the services like play services. I can download YouTube music from apkpure but I can't log in because it requires google services. Same goes with play store, i can download and install it but I can't open it because it will always crash.

I might be wrong but when I order it before, one week ago I think, they didn't noted that information in their website yet.
There is always a possibility they updated their website. Website is not permanent after all.

I didn't appreciate it was that significant. I suppose you somehow need to flash with non-Chinese firmware somehow?

May 7, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #338 of 1,076
I'm really enjoying this unit. It's smaller than my FiiO m15, yet packs the same punch (no less) if you can believe it.

For me (personally speaking), the gold standard of any player technology, be it vinyl, cassette, DAP, codecs, or whatever, is what it once was: Fidelity - to faithfully reproduce the music as it was recorded / laid down. That's always been my first priority. Most units don't achieve this, but it's improving fast with recording and player technology, alike. With initial fidelity, a user can overlay whatever "processing" they enjoy most. (I prefer brighter sounds to muddled base, for example).

The reason for that preamble is that I find this unit (HiBy R5 GEN 2) to do just that as a first priority: Fidelity. 🎉

When I then apply JetAudio Music HD Plus DSP effects, which are quite good by the way, it sounds beautiful, and I know that I'm starting from somwahat close to the original recording.

The HiBy Music App has DSP plugins too, and provide an interesting alternative to the JetAudio Music Player HD Plus DSP features. They definitely sound different and I can't get them to perform exactly the same sound transformations (I've tried for experimentation, but my ears eventually tired so I wouldn't be able to tell anymore); but the good news is that you can switch players whenever one set of enhanced sounds is desired over the other. That said, I do prefer the JetAudio Music Player HD Plus player because it's UI is superior (and highly configurable). Whereas you'll practically go blind with HiBy Music App as well as with the FiiO M15 Music App (because in both cases the fonts are unreadibly small), the JetAudio Music Player HD Plus does not suffer from this. Their fonts and color selections including accent coloring are big and bold and won't make you go blind. Cowon, who makes the JetAudio player and engine since 1997, seems to understand this issue well.

Regarding the unit itself, it feels freaking great in the hand. The Android performance is responsive (we're no playing video games here LoL).

In sum, I think this (HiBy R5 GEN 2) is an absolutely amazing sounding, quality and hefty unit for the price, no question about it. As an owner of many players over the years, I can highly recommend it.

PS: I like their customer service, too. I've emailed them many times and receive pleasant and complete replies (not canned replies). They seem to have the right culture at HiBy. 🤗

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #339 of 1,076
I didn't appreciate it was that significant. I suppose you somehow need to flash with non-Chinese firmware somehow?
If the firmware is available somewhere, i will definitely tried that.

May 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #340 of 1,076
Just got mine in today.

Dammit, I wish I knew it came with a case otherwise I would not have bought this super girly tiffany blue case. (Its growing on me)

My desktop system is a Denafrips Ares > Audio-Gd master19. This is my first dap, I have the shanling up4 and fiio btr5 and all I can say is wow. I am impressed.

That class A mode makes a significant difference. Theres a little bit more bass and the overall sound is richer with more body, notes hit with more authority from what I can tell off the bat, there is a nice bit of holographic decay with class A mode that isn't there when its turned off. Its never going to be turned off on my unit unless I'm desperate for power.

I tried running my Sony Z7m2 in SE which is really power hungry and is real finicky with amp pairings. It sounds like crap on the fiio btr5 and up4. Had to run in high gain at about 65 volume but it sounds almost as good as it does on my desktop setup.

The only negative I can see so far is that the the cpu doesn't have the processing power of my phone and lags slightly when navigating but not too bad.
IMG_20220507_134143.jpg

May 7, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #341 of 1,076
Just got mine in today.

Dammit, I wish I knew it came with a case otherwise I would not have bought this super girly tiffany blue case. (Its growing on me)

My desktop system is a Denafrips Ares > Audio-Gd master19. This is my first dap, I have the shanling up4 and fiio btr5 and all I can say is wow. I am impressed.

That class A mode makes a significant difference. Theres a little bit more bass and the overall sound is richer with more body, notes hit with more authority from what I can tell off the bat, there is a nice bit of holographic decay with class A mode that isn't there when its turned off. Its never going to be turned off on my unit unless I'm desperate for power.

I tried running my Sony Z7m2 in SE which is really power hungry and is real finicky with amp pairings. It sounds like crap on the fiio btr5 and up4. Had to run in high gain at about 65 volume but it sounds almost as good as it does on my desktop setup.

The only negative I can see so far is that the the cpu doesn't have the processing power of my phone and lags slightly when navigating but not too bad.
Sounds like class A comes into its own with Headphones then. Can't say difference is too noticeable to me with sensitive IEMs. Bit fuller, smoother.

May 7, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #342 of 1,076
Sounds like class A comes into its own with Headphones then. Can't say difference is too noticeable to me with sensitive IEMs. Bit fuller, smoother.
Or maybe something thats higher impedance benefits more from class A? Not too sure how that works, its not a huge difference but its noticeable because its an instant change.

Does anyone know the proper settings on Onkyo HF or USB audio player to get it play dsd256 upsampling?

I can never get it to work on android.

May 7, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #343 of 1,076
not a huge difference but its noticeable because its an instant change.
My experience exactly. Only tested so far on a 30 ohm DD. My replacement unit should be here early next week, I’ll test on some hybrids and report back prior to completing my full review as it seems this is one of the main questions about the DAP’s sonic performance.

May 8, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #344 of 1,076

It wasnt and you are right. I got mine last week and warned linsoul about it. They also told me Hiby will provide them a firmware to flash and they will contact everyone that bought it from them with the link.

Let's wait and see.

May 8, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #345 of 1,076
It wasnt and you are right. I got mine last week and warned linsoul about it. They also told me Hiby will provide them a firmware to flash and they will contact everyone that bought it from them with the link.

Let's wait and see.
That is absurd. Such a thing can never happen, it is technically impossible to do. I advise both of you to demand a return and refund with Linsoul right away.

I'll try to get HiBy to make a public announcement about this.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back