Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Feb 11, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,531 of 2,070
It doesn't show up as a USB input source when connected to my computer. Only an output.

The product marketing doesn't confirm it has USB output. It only refers to Coax and LO. :slight_frown:

Looking to do this:
IMG-0072.jpg

Except where the R3 Pro is there instead of a phone.

Sorry, I'm confused. What does a computer have to do with this?

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,532 of 2,070
Sorry, I'm confused. What does a computer have to do with this?
The computer lets me see whether it’s offering USB Audio Input. It would be a good predictor of it acting as a USB digital out source.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,533 of 2,070
The computer lets me see whether it’s offering USB Audio Input. It would be a good predictor of it acting as a USB digital out source.

The R3 can behave as a USB DAC (USB in) which is done by changing the US Mode to "Audio" and connecting it to a player/computer. It can also behave as a player/transport (USB out) to an external DAC which requires no configuration. I would expect a BT transmitter to look like a DAC via USB but I don't know for sure (I don't have one). What I can say is that the R3 Pro works with my Dragonfly, BTR5 and UP5 in USB DAC mode. I'm not familiar with the device in your photo, but even if it works, I'm not sure how you would configure or pair it (no buttons or controls like Fiio BTA30). Sorry if none of this is helping.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,534 of 2,070
The R3 can behave as a USB DAC (USB in) which is done by changing the US Mode to "Audio" and connecting it to a player/computer. It can also behave as a player/transport (USB out) to an external DAC which requires no configuration. I would expect a BT transmitter to look like a DAC via USB but I don't know for sure (I don't have one). What I can say is that the R3 Pro works with my Dragonfly, BTR5 and UP5 in USB DAC mode. I'm not familiar with the device in your photo, but even if it works, I'm not sure how you would configure or pair it (no buttons or controls like Fiio BTA30). Sorry if none of this is helping.
It auto-pairs with the nearest device capable of pairing. I’ll give it a go and see if it just works.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #1,535 of 2,070

It works. It just works. I should have just tried it to begin with. Just panicked because it doesn't acknowledge it can do this. This is great. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,536 of 2,070
It works. It just works. I should have just tried it to begin with. Just panicked because it doesn't acknowledge it can do this. This is great. Thanks.

All good. Glad it's working for you!

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,537 of 2,070
If anyone else was experiencing terrible difficulty trying to update the firmware on your R3 Pro (Saber), where it would accept the update and restart the device but then fail to actually run the updater, I have good news! I reached out to Hiby regarding this and their helpful support rep gave me instructions to use their internal recovery flashing tool to reflash the missing recovery imager onto the DAP's internal storage. It turns out that they utilize this recovery utility to bootstrap the new firmware image and its integrated installer. Without this recovery imager, the update will fail and the device will just reboot normally. Here's the content of the email:

Thank you for your email.
Regarding the problem you mentioned, this should be the update program that is missing "recovery". You can download the relevant installation file and installation guide from the link to install it manually (Please note that this program can only be done on a Windows computer):https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l10NVyFRpPUAVhDvPww_l1-RSmC_uMaD?usp=sharing

If your computer is Windows 10. Before the installation, you can set the advanced options of "Disable driver signature enforcement" on your computer. You can view the guide from this link: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-...DX4Ig4gH2o1Tt5h3ZjJzzileWsbQu15tMUYK4jps2rHV0

Attached is a guide video for your reference.
Thanks and best regards,
HiByMusic
HiBy official website: https://store.hiby.com/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_PNioFhWT4YMBI0kQFj4NRjJT2IZ-Xcu/view?usp=sharing

And from my experience trying to make this work:
Quick rundown on the necessary steps for Windows 10:

Prepare your machine to install the unsigned driver:
  1. Click on the "Start Menu" icon
  2. Click on the "Power" icon
  3. Hold down the shift key and select "restart"
  4. Select "Troubleshoot"
  5. Select "Advanced Options"
  6. Select "Startup Settings"
  7. Select "Restart"
  8. Your computer will restart to the Startup Settings page. Select "7" (or whichever number the "Disable Driver Signature Verification" option is for you)
  9. Your computer is now able to install the unsigned driver files for the R3 Pro
Connect your R3 Pro in troubleshooting mode:
  1. Power off the DAP
  2. Press and hold the previous track button (the top track change button just below the power button)
  3. While holding the previous track button, plug in the device with a compatible USB C cable
  4. The device should show up as connected but unrecognized
Install the driver software:
  1. Unzip the linked file with the cloner utility
  2. Open the folder where you extracted the .RAR file
  3. Open the "cloner-win32-driver folder"
  4. Right click the file named "usb_cloner_device.inf" and select the "Install" option from the drop-down menu
  5. Accept the unsigned driver and close the window that pops up when it finishes installing
  6. The device driver has now been installed
  7. Confirm that the device is recognized by opening Device Manager (Windows key+X then select "Device Manager" from the menu) It should show up as "USB Cloner Tool"
Run the image burn utility:
  1. Navigate back one folder
  2. Open the "cloner-1.0.0BH4-windows_release" folder
  3. Run the "cloner.exe" executable. This should open another window showing the command prompt which will indicate that the device is connected
    • IMPORTANT: the default config will wipe the MicroSD card you have installed. If you don't want this to happen, remove it now! It is not required for this process)
  4. In the USB cloner utility, select the "Load Image" button and select the only image in the folder it defaults to
  5. Select "Start"
  6. Now unplug the R3 Pro
  7. While holding the previous track button, reconnect the R3 Pro. The imager needs to detect when the device has been plugged in to determine which USB address to act on
  8. Watch the progress bar on the cloner utility
  9. Once it reaches 100%, the R3 Pro should restart on its own
  10. You have successfully replaced the recovery imager.
Update your R3 Pro as normal:
  1. Reinstall your MicroSD card if you removed it previously
  2. You can now either download the updated firmware image from their google drive links on their support page or use the OTA option to have your DAP download it yourself.
    • Side note: if your R3 Pro is failing to finish the firmware download in OTA mode, go under the "Wireless Settings">"WIFI">"DNS Server" and change the default DNS server that the DAP is pulling from your router config to one of the free ones run by CloudFlare or Google (1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, respectively). This should allow the download to finish. I have AT&T and it seems that their default DNS server doesn't really like to remain connected to Hiby's repo.

Hope that helps! I've been fighting with this thing off and on for weeks and finally got some resolution, so I figured it would only be right to share.

Hello sir, thanks for the post. I just bought a R3 Pro Saber and its causing trouble, so I started searching the web for a fix and found your post. For me OTA update never worked, i dont know why it never download. I figured out how to do it manually, but the installation crashed several times.
Now the R3 says im on the last firmware, but I still get a lot of errors in Tidal and Wifi.
Should I try that recovery fix? what do you think?

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,538 of 2,070
Hello sir, thanks for the post. I just bought a R3 Pro Saber and its causing trouble, so I started searching the web for a fix and found your post. For me OTA update never worked, i dont know why it never download. I figured out how to do it manually, but the installation crashed several times.
Now the R3 says im on the last firmware, but I still get a lot of errors in Tidal and Wifi.
Should I try that recovery fix? what do you think?

Which Tidal errors do you get?

Even on the last firmware there are sometimes playback errors with Tidal. But also other people have them. So in this case flashing would not help.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,539 of 2,070
Which Tidal errors do you get?

Even on the last firmware there are sometimes playback errors with Tidal. But also other people have them. So in this case flashing would not help.

You are right, i just thougth that maybe my update was installed wrong. When i tried to OTA i got a message to accept the "terms and condiions", so i accepted but nothing happens, it just stuck there. So i did it manual.

Im gettin error 5003 (your subscription dont support that format) wich is not true as I have masters account, but it appears on any kind of tracks like FLAC. also error 13, error 28, and others i cant remember now. Sometimes it skips tracks and reproduce the album in no order.

Also the wifi usually drops for no reason. I tried different wifi sources but its always the same.

It's weird, Tidal is not working to me. I hope they fix it, as they say on their website that HIBY OS is the "ever evolving OS"

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,540 of 2,070
You are right, i just thougth that maybe my update was installed wrong. When i tried to OTA i got a message to accept the "terms and condiions", so i accepted but nothing happens, it just stuck there. So i did it manual.

Im gettin error 5003 (your subscription dont support that format) wich is not true as I have masters account, but it appears on any kind of tracks like FLAC. also error 13, error 28, and others i cant remember now. Sometimes it skips tracks and reproduce the album in no order.

Also the wifi usually drops for no reason. I tried different wifi sources but its always the same.

It's weird, Tidal is not working to me. I hope they fix it, as they say on their website that HIBY OS is the "ever evolving OS"

In my case I only have the problem with skipping tracks on Tidal. Luckily WiFi works fine for me.

Either way, here is a list of collected issues: https://github.com/vext01/hiby-issues/issues

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,541 of 2,070
In my case I only have the problem with skipping tracks on Tidal. Luckily WiFi works fine for me.

Either way, here is a list of collected issues: https://github.com/vext01/hiby-issues/issues
Thanks. I have just tried Qobuz and seems to work fine, it can be a substitute. Wifi is more stable now with a factory reset.

Im writing to support about the Tidal issue. I think there are a lot of R3 Pro Saber units left for sell, so i hope they work on it.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,542 of 2,070
After a few months using my R3 Pro Saber Im sorry to say I cant reccomend it to anyone. Bluetooth only works when in static. When walking around it cuts constantly only 50cm away from the earbuds. Moving my head sideways is enough to cut the connection and produce stutters. Same earbuds work perfectly using my phone.

The missing recovery disaster was a pain to install following their instructions, but in the end I got to install it and update to 1.7. The UI is not well designed, too slow, too many steps for some essential menus and functions and too much space wasted while browsing, underutilizing that nice big screen. Hiby's android app player is miles better and has overall better sense of design and usability. I ended up replacing it as my daily music device with my phone using Hiby Music Player.

Of course sound is great and powerful, with a great tool like MSEB to tune the sound, but the price (219€ bought on Amazon directly from hiby) and the problems Ive had during these past months makes me regret buying it. To make things worse, its not recognizing the 256GB SD card anymore when connected through USB to my Pc, and I guess the card format got screwed somehow. And now I fear I have to format the card and copy everything in again.
So many pains and problems for a player I bought essentially to use as my daily music device cabled and through bluetooth depending the situation.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,543 of 2,070
After a few months using my R3 Pro Saber Im sorry to say I cant reccomend it to anyone. Bluetooth only works when in static. When walking around it cuts constantly only 50cm away from the earbuds. Moving my head sideways is enough to cut the connection and produce stutters. Same earbuds work perfectly using my phone.

The missing recovery disaster was a pain to install following their instructions, but in the end I got to install it and update to 1.7. The UI is not well designed, too slow, too many steps for some essential menus and functions and too much space wasted while browsing, underutilizing that nice big screen. Hiby's android app player is miles better and has overall better sense of design and usability. I ended up replacing it as my daily music device with my phone using Hiby Music Player.

Of course sound is great and powerful, with a great tool like MSEB to tune the sound, but the price (219€ bought on Amazon directly from hiby) and the problems Ive had during these past months makes me regret buying it. To make things worse, its not recognizing the 256GB SD card anymore when connected through USB to my Pc, and I guess the card format got screwed somehow. And now I fear I have to format the card and copy everything in again.
So many pains and problems for a player I bought essentially to use as my daily music device cabled and through bluetooth depending the situation.

Have you chosen the right bluetooth codec on the hiby?

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,545 of 2,070
Sure, Ive tried every combination with different codecs and headphones. Ive seen other users with similar issues around. I dont think its just me.
i have just tried to connect mine with a portable bluetooth speaker. I can move around five meters with no problem. It works when the speaker is on bluetooth mode, not in "True WIreless", dont know why. Maybe you should check that in yours. I guess bluetooth issues refers only to certain units. If I were you I would send the device to warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back