Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,546 of 2,070
i have just tried to connect mine with a portable bluetooth speaker. I can move around five meters with no problem. It works when the speaker is on bluetooth mode, not in "True WIreless", dont know why. Maybe you should check that in yours. I guess bluetooth issues refers only to certain units. If I were you I would send the device to warranty.
At home it works fine if the player is static and I move around. The problem is when I walk on the street, with the player in my pocket. You can see other users refer to these bluetooth problems on reddit, its not only me. And yes, I know I can send it back to warranty, but Im kind of sick of dealing with it and I´ll use it at home to listen to high resolution stuff with cabled headphones while looking at the clouds I guess.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,547 of 2,070
i have just tried to connect mine with a portable bluetooth speaker. I can move around five meters with no problem. It works when the speaker is on bluetooth mode, not in "True WIreless", dont know why. Maybe you should check that in yours. I guess bluetooth issues refers only to certain units. If I were you I would send the device to warranty.
This HiBy R3 player has gone through a few updates, SABER being that latest. But I don't think that the Bluetooth Antenna & Power have changed much. If I remember, as recent as 2 years ago (Besides a few SONY DAPS) there were no portable DAPs that had really great Bluetooth range like a Smartphone. Even today, Smartphones have much better bluetooth signal strength than most DAPS. And then the higher bit rate/codec that one tries to use, the more data needs to be transmitted and received. That means that LDAC @ 990 ends up having a shorter usable signal distance than "SBC" the most basic bluetooth CODEC. If I am out in noisy places, SBC is OK. When I am at home in a more quiet place, or if the earphones have Active Noise Cancelation, music played with LDAC at it's best 990 rate really does sound much cleaner. - Then the quality of the receiving device's bluetooth antenna also comes into play. I have a Qudelix 5K BT receiver and it has the best range and audio quality of any I've tried. I have found that TWS Earphones that have an extended end (Where they can place a longer antenna?) have better Bluetooth reception and range. Anyway, in a couple more years, newer versions of bluetooth will start allowing un-compressed/Lossless 16/44.1 "CD Quality" audio transmission. And 99% of people will be happy with that. Though it will require both the transmitting, and the receiving device to have the latest bluetooth chips...

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,548 of 2,070
At home it works fine if the player is static and I move around. The problem is when I walk on the street, with the player in my pocket. You can see other users refer to these bluetooth problems on reddit, its not only me. And yes, I know I can send it back to warranty, but Im kind of sick of dealing with it and I´ll use it at home to listen to high resolution stuff with cabled headphones while looking at the clouds I guess.

i tried that way, moving around and shaking the R3 and it worked for me. You should be able to use it while walking, it even has a pedometer.
If the product doesnt acomplish what its advertised should be returned.
I had to give up listening to Tidal streaming and changed to Qobuz as Tidal is a mess. If they dont plan to fix Tidal then they shouldn't say Tidal is compatible.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,549 of 2,070
This HiBy R3 player has gone through a few updates, SABER being that latest. But I don't think that the Bluetooth Antenna & Power have changed much. If I remember, as recent as 2 years ago (Besides a few SONY DAPS) there were no portable DAPs that had really great Bluetooth range like a Smartphone. Even today, Smartphones have much better bluetooth signal strength than most DAPS. And then the higher bit rate/codec that one tries to use, the more data needs to be transmitted and received. That means that LDAC @ 990 ends up having a shorter usable signal distance than "SBC" the most basic bluetooth CODEC. If I am out in noisy places, SBC is OK. When I am at home in a more quiet place, or if the earphones have Active Noise Cancelation, music played with LDAC at it's best 990 rate really does sound much cleaner. - Then the quality of the receiving device's bluetooth antenna also comes into play. I have a Qudelix 5K BT receiver and it has the best range and audio quality of any I've tried. I have found that TWS Earphones that have an extended end (Where they can place a longer antenna?) have better Bluetooth reception and range. Anyway, in a couple more years, newer versions of bluetooth will start allowing un-compressed/Lossless 16/44.1 "CD Quality" audio transmission. And 99% of people will be happy with that. Though it will require both the transmitting, and the receiving device to have the latest bluetooth chips...

thanks for the explanation. Im not into wireless that much as i love cabled iems. I'm not buying wireless audio headphone until quality improves in the future as you said. I do have wireless speakers just for the PC.

Quality of the Hiby R3 is so good for such as small device. I wish they fix the software so it can be near perfect for my needs.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,550 of 2,070
Got an r3 pro saber today, updated to firmware 1.7 via file on sdcard. Trying to log into tidal gives me an error with "Username or password incorrect".
I'm confident they are correct, signing in to the same account with the android app from the same wifi works.

Added an empty "debug_info.txt" to the root of the sd (64gb, fat32), tried logging in again, file stays empty.
Is there a way to find out why tidal doesn't want to log in?

Note: The username contains a '+' char and the password has special chars in it too.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,551 of 2,070
Got an r3 pro saber today, updated to firmware 1.7 via file on sdcard. Trying to log into tidal gives me an error with "Username or password incorrect".
I'm confident they are correct, signing in to the same account with the android app from the same wifi works.

Added an empty "debug_info.txt" to the root of the sd (64gb, fat32), tried logging in again, file stays empty.
Is there a way to find out why tidal doesn't want to log in?

Note: The username contains a '+' char and the password has special chars in it too.

Interesting. Can you try changing your password to something without the `+` and retrying?

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,553 of 2,070
Mar 20, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #1,556 of 2,070
hi all looking at getting this DAP, as after something portable that can take running with my wireless headphones as well as having a decent portable option with my shure 800 IEMs.

seen some mixed review about the bluetooth performance, anyone able to comment how reliable it is with wireless headphones in walking/running scenario ?

thanks all

mat

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,557 of 2,070
hi all looking at getting this DAP, as after something portable that can take running with my wireless headphones as well as having a decent portable option with my shure 800 IEMs.

seen some mixed review about the bluetooth performance, anyone able to comment how reliable it is with wireless headphones in walking/running scenario ?

thanks all

mat
Well, in my experience, as a receiver works well(using it when i cant use the speakers watching a movie with my iSine20) but when i am out it's s***, i tried with shanling mtw100, with fiio utws1 on mi ibasso it04 and i cant walk 50 m. without losing the connection....

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,558 of 2,070
Is there somewhere that compares all versions of the R3? I heard the original had more power than the Pro and that the Saber was better for electronic, etc? I use the 3.5mm line out only into a home stereo and mainly female vocals and smooth jazz, etc. Thoughts?

thx

bob

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,559 of 2,070
Is there somewhere that compares all versions of the R3? I heard the original had more power than the Pro and that the Saber was better for electronic, etc? I use the 3.5mm line out only into a home stereo and mainly female vocals and smooth jazz, etc. Thoughts?

thx

bob

I have provided some comparisons in the past.

See:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/post-16658417

And also the post right after:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/post-16658429

By now I also own the R3 Pro with Cirrus Logic DAC.

First of all, both R3 Pro and R3 Pro Saber are better than the original R3.

Between the two Pro versions the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has a more “fun” tuning I would say - a warmer signature with more bass presence and a smoother yet detailed treble. The R3 Pro Saber has a fairly bright tuning - bass is a bit tighter, and treble is very present, resulting in a very detailed sound but also slightly harsh on brighter headphones. Interestingly, the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has the wider soundstage for me.

For listening to Jazz on a stereo I would assume the R3 Pro Saber is better suited since it should deliver more details on sax and piano. Also, more bass presence can easily become an issue in a room with poor acoustic treatment. So also the more controlled bass of the R3 Pro Saber should deliver better results.

I’ll try it out myself now… it’s Sunday and I got some time 😄

UPDATE: I tried both players on my stereo through line out…

The R3 Pro Cirrus Logic is more lively and engaging and spaces everything out a bit more, whereas the R3 Pro Saber is more accurate and controlled.

I listened to a Louis Armstrong recording in DSD and also a Wycliffe Gordon Recording by Chesky Records… probably not the type of Jazz you are listening to… 😄

Either way, the DSD recording sounded very realistic on the Saber. However, the Chesky Recording did benefit from the added liveliness of the R3 Pro…

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,560 of 2,070
I have provided some comparisons in the past.

See:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/post-16658417

And also the post right after:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/post-16658429

By now I also own the R3 Pro with Cirrus Logic DAC.

First of all, both R3 Pro and R3 Pro Saber are better than the original R3.

Between the two Pro versions the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has a more “fun” tuning I would say - a warmer signature with more bass presence and a smoother yet detailed treble. The R3 Pro Saber has a fairly bright tuning - bass is a bit tighter, and treble is very present, resulting in a very detailed sound but also slightly harsh on brighter headphones. Interestingly, the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has the wider soundstage for me.

For listening to Jazz on a stereo I would assume the R3 Pro Saber is better suited since it should deliver more details on sax and piano. Also, more bass presence can easily become an issue in a room with poor acoustic treatment. So also the more controlled bass of the R3 Pro Saber should deliver better results.

I’ll try it out myself now… it’s Sunday and I got some time 😄

UPDATE: I tried both players on my stereo through line out…

The R3 Pro Cirrus Logic is more lively and engaging and spaces everything out a bit more, whereas the R3 Pro Saber is more accurate and controlled.

I listened to a Louis Armstrong recording in DSD and also a Wycliffe Gordon Recording by Chesky Records… probably not the type of Jazz you are listening to… 😄

Either way, the DSD recording sounded very realistic on the Saber. However, the Chesky Recording did benefit from the added liveliness of the R3 Pro…
Thank you!

Do you have any experience with the R5 (non saber) I have it and it is too warm, laid back, and not as clear or detailed as my Pio XDP-30R.

thx

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back