Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,338 of 2,094
M4a files work fine for me. Are you updated to latest firmware or maybe reset the device. Also test the file on your cpu maybe to see if it's corrupt.
Thank you for your answer. I just tried the song on my computer and it works fine. On the R3 Pro, I got again an error 12.
And my firmware is the latest, I updated it just after receiving the product. Also tried to reset it but nothing.
I'm a bit disappointed...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #1,339 of 2,094
Quick report on replacing the battery on R3 Pro.

!!! WARNING: Will void warranty! Risk of personal injuries & damages! Soldering work required !!!

I replaced the original battery with an Aliexpress-bought Li-Po battery. Nearest size I could track down was 484854, replacing the original 455057. ie: 4.8mm x 48mm x 54mm Li-Po replacing 4.5mm x 50mm x 57mm Li-Po. It's been working fine for past 2 days after installation. Broke the back shell while opening it with suction cup and wedges, so I pasted over a black sticker that's cut to size.

For non-DIYers, smartphone repair technicians can probably do this replacement for a labour fee if you get them the Li-Po battery.

Pre-installation picture
R3ProBattery.jpg
Was this necessary? How long had you used it before replacing the battery? What was your battery life like?

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,340 of 2,094
Was this necessary? How long had you used it before replacing the battery? What was your battery life like?
Used for about 15 months. Still had reasonable battery life, but it felt like I had to charge it faster than before. I estimate it needed every other day charging when I use it regularly. With the new battery, the charge does hang on longer before I need to charge it again. Probably half a week of use.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,342 of 2,094
Guys, would the R3 Pro version be better for me or the Saber one?

I’ll be pairing them with JVC-HA-FDX1 (which are kinda bright and shouty) and iBasso IT01 for now but also possibly high-end IEMs like the Andromeda down the line (can this DAP handle IEMs such as these?).

Please help, thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,343 of 2,094
Guys, would the R3 Pro version be better for me or the Saber one?

I’ll be pairing them with JVC-HA-FDX1 (which are kinda bright and shouty) and iBasso IT01 for now but also possibly high-end IEMs like the Andromeda down the line (can this DAP handle IEMs such as these?).

Please help, thanks.
Having owned the fdx1 with an r3pro regular and saber before if you find them kinda bright the saber likely isnt for you. The fdx1 is already a pretty analytical so adding a bit of warmth with the regular r3pro shouldnt change the sound that much.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,344 of 2,094
Is there an option to make a little change of the screensaver?
Now the filename is displayed. I would love to display the artist and the song title basing on tags.
If you have the proper song title within you id3v2 tags it should display that over the tags in the file name. Might want to check your library with something like mp3tag to make sure everything is in order.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,345 of 2,094
Having owned the fdx1 with an r3pro regular and saber before if you find them kinda bright the saber likely isnt for you. The fdx1 is already a pretty analytical so adding a bit of warmth with the regular r3pro shouldnt change the sound that much.
I don’t find them bright particularly but that shouty-ness was definitely something I could feel easily but I’m getting used to it slowly.

Would I feel the shout even more with the Saber?

Also, does the Saber change anything else over the Pro than sound?

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,346 of 2,094
If you have the proper song title within you id3v2 tags it should display that over the tags in the file name. Might want to check your library with something like mp3tag to make sure everything is in order.
I thought I do not have problems with tags - Playback Screen and Library both read tags without any problems. But I'll double check!

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,347 of 2,094
R3Pro Saber delivered today, did OTA firmware update, trying to get 1.5, but after downloading I get “checksum error” message and firmware doesn’t update!
Any ideas or known stuff? My first Hyby product so I’m clueless, any help greatly appreciated!

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,348 of 2,094
R3Pro Saber delivered today, did OTA firmware update, trying to get 1.5, but after downloading I get “checksum error” message and firmware doesn’t update!
Any ideas or known stuff? My first Hyby product so I’m clueless, any help greatly appreciated!

Sounds like there was an error in the download process. You could try the manual update:

https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center#hc-r3-pro-firmware-v15-update

Or, if there is a r3pro.upt in the root of the SD card, just delete and try OTA again.

Edit:

If that doesn't work see this post (and the followups):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/page-66#post-15777128

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,349 of 2,094
Tried to update firmware on R3 Pro Saber update.
OTA no go
Via SDcard no go
Everytime it restarts after you select which option it never sees the update file and just restarts as normal. The checksum error was just the first time I tried OTA. The next time it just bypassed the update file and after that it wouldn’t re-download because it thought it had already been downloaded. So I tried deleting all files to clean up the card and went to your link rlw6534 and got the file directly but the same thing occurs when restarting, it skips over the update and normally boots.

Thank goodness it sounds good and gets better as its breaking in because its so frustrating I probably would of returned it by now if possible but I’ll stay on FW 1.4 until I read a better way, thanks for the help!

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,350 of 2,094
Tried to update firmware on R3 Pro Saber update.
OTA no go
Via SDcard no go
Everytime it restarts after you select which option it never sees the update file and just restarts as normal. The checksum error was just the first time I tried OTA. The next time it just bypassed the update file and after that it wouldn’t re-download because it thought it had already been downloaded. So I tried deleting all files to clean up the card and went to your link rlw6534 and got the file directly but the same thing occurs when restarting, it skips over the update and normally boots.

Thank goodness it sounds good and gets better as its breaking in because its so frustrating I probably would of returned it by now if possible but I’ll stay on FW 1.4 until I read a better way, thanks for the help!

Sounds like you have the missing "recovery" issue. I did not have that problem myself but here is the discussion and fix:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/page-79#post-16058091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back