Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Mar 6, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,321 of 2,094
I have heard about Roon but only on the Mac, I didn’t realise it was on the Synology as well. I have been reading about the Hiby, where it says it can output to coaxial or LO, is LO the same as LOC like RCA ?. Only reason I am asking is because my amp only has RCA

Roon is pretty expensive but I already had the hardware (Synology + NUC) so that's how I went. The R3 has a line-out mode in the settings for the 3.5 mm jack so you just need a 3.5 mm male to RCA adapter/cable. I'm pretty sure the coaxial uses the USB-C port (with a dongle you have to buy) and you would need a 3.5 mm digital input on your amp/receiver.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,322 of 2,094
Roon is pretty expensive but I already had the hardware (Synology + NUC) so that's how I went. The R3 has a line-out mode in the settings for the 3.5 mm jack so you just need a 3.5 mm male to RCA adapter/cable. I'm pretty sure the coaxial uses the USB-C port (with a dongle you have to buy) and you would need a 3.5 mm digital input on your amp/receiver.
I will take a look at Roon and compare it to others, thank you for the information on line out that makes it far more simpler & yes you are correct with the dongle / digital input part. Will definitely be ordering this soon as the thought of not only listening to my DSD files at home but also on the move, is well wo the price of the Hiby. Thank you for all your advice

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,323 of 2,094
I will take a look at Roon and compare it to others, thank you for the information on line out that makes it far more simpler & yes you are correct with the dongle / digital input part. Will definitely be ordering this soon as the thought of not only listening to my DSD files at home but also on the move, is well wo the price of the Hiby. Thank you for all your advice

No problem. I enjoy helping out when I can. I recently retired and have a bit of free time....

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #1,325 of 2,094
Can the R3 Pro work as just a Bluetooth receiver/headphone amp?

Yes, it is both a bluetooth receiver and transmitter. Just pick which mode in settings.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,327 of 2,094
Is it under wireless settings > Bluetooth? I don’t see it.

Yes, that is correct. I just tested it with my MacBook and it connected and I could listen through the R3 Pro. I did have to search devices to find it.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,328 of 2,094
Hello !
I'm looking for some advices about the choices between the R3P and the Saber. I enjoyed a lot the original R3 and I don't listen much electronic music. Much more classical, pop, rock, folk. Is the Saber relevant ? Is the R3P much more warmer, smoother than the original R3?
Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,329 of 2,094
Hello !
I'm looking for some advices about the choices between the R3P and the Saber. I enjoyed a lot the original R3 and I don't listen much electronic music. Much more classical, pop, rock, folk. Is the Saber relevant ? Is the R3P much more warmer, smoother than the original R3?
Thanks in advance!
both choices are fine I think for classical id prefer the use of the saber as it will present the midrange more authentically.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #1,331 of 2,094
Hello !
Thanks in advance!
Look at R3Pro first version (CS) for more smoother warmer sound, Saber version is more analytical and energetic. Saber is brighter compared to CS

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,333 of 2,094
Look at R3Pro first version (CS) for more smoother warmer sound, Saber version is more analytical and energetic. Saber is brighter compared to CS
I chose 1st version for this reason.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,334 of 2,094
Quick report on replacing the battery on R3 Pro.

!!! WARNING: Will void warranty! Risk of personal injuries & damages! Soldering work required !!!

I replaced the original battery with an Aliexpress-bought Li-Po battery. Nearest size I could track down was 484854, replacing the original 455057. ie: 4.8mm x 48mm x 54mm Li-Po replacing 4.5mm x 50mm x 57mm Li-Po. It's been working fine for past 2 days after installation. Broke the back shell while opening it with suction cup and wedges, so I pasted over a black sticker that's cut to size.

For non-DIYers, smartphone repair technicians can probably do this replacement for a labour fee if you get them the Li-Po battery.

Pre-installation picture
R3ProBattery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back