Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #826 of 2,070
Ordinary Q5. I can buy it used for the same price as new R3 Pro, so I'm wondering. I'd be pairing it with Meze 99 Classics (with upgrade 2.5mm cable) and maybe some decent IEM in the future.

I've only had the q5s but I'd still say that the q5 would be a better option for desktop. For portable r3pro for sure. You can switch out amp modules if you want to with the q5.

I just think that would be the more sturdy option for desktop use. Soundwise idk, I only liked the thx module with the q5s.

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #827 of 2,070
Ended up selling my Fiio M11, and have the R3 Pro Saber on the way, should arrive on the 25th, with a free brown leather case. Hopefully i'll be happy with it.

I have a 256gb SD card, so will have to experiment with that and see what limit it hits first, 20,000 track limit or data limit. I guess there is no point updating to a 512 card if im still going to hit that 20,000 track limit. Any word on if Hiby has plans to remove the track limit?

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #828 of 2,070
Ended up selling my Fiio M11, and have the R3 Pro Saber on the way, should arrive on the 25th, with a free brown leather case. Hopefully i'll be happy with it.

I have a 256gb SD card, so will have to experiment with that and see what limit it hits first, 20,000 track limit or data limit. I guess there is no point updating to a 512 card if im still going to hit that 20,000 track limit. Any word on if Hiby has plans to remove the track limit?

I unfortunately have no official comment on that, but note that the Files tab has no track limit. That can be organized into a very neat hierarchical order automatically using e.g. mp3tag, as long as it is a single hierarchy.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #829 of 2,070
I used the meze 99 neo with 2.5mm balanced cable on the ibasso dx120. Let me tell you that the improvements are noticeable, a more controlled sound and with better definition. At the meze I changed the factory pads and put some hybrid brainwavz on them, again, the changes are noticeable.
Yes, the balanced cable made a surprisingly big difference. Tested on M9 in local shop, now I'm looking to buy something I can use at home. R3 Sabre looks good, but I don't wanna wait 3 weeks for shipping. If you guys know about any other solid desktop DAC/AMP with balanced 2.5mm output, I'd be happy to hear it :L3000:

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #830 of 2,070
Yes, the balanced cable made a surprisingly big difference. Tested on M9 in local shop, now I'm looking to buy something I can use at home. R3 Sabre looks good, but I don't wanna wait 3 weeks for shipping. If you guys know about any other solid desktop DAC/AMP with balanced 2.5mm output, I'd be happy to hear it :L3000:

May not have to wait 3 weeks, mine got delivered today - 5 days from China>Norway:)

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #835 of 2,070
Hey Joe, question for you regarding the track limit.

You say that thru file tab there is no track limit.

If i access a playlist which contains more than 20k tracks thru file tab (SD card> playlist_data>playlist)

Would it index the whole playlist?
Let's say there are 25k tracks there.

Just picked up 512gb card.. and I have gone over the 20k 😢

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #836 of 2,070
After reading almost all online reviews of Fiio Q5 and ofc all R3 Pro/S, also looked for any reasonable desktop DAC with balanced out, I might end up with using Hiby's small miracle, because of reliability/support/sound/price.

Any tips/user experiences with using R3 Pro as fulltime USB DAC/AMP? How's volume controlled that way? Only on the device itself, or I can control it also from Windows? Any other thing I should consider?
Many thanks :v:

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #837 of 2,070
I'm sad to hear that people are put off from using SE earphones with HiBy equipment because they have balanced ports 😥

When I sold home audio gear I owned a few pairs of balanced headphones and they made sense with home audio gear. But I simply don't understand the appeal on a portable audio device. Balanced makes sense if you have hard to drive high impedance headphones but I would never use high impedance headphones with a DAP. Kind of an oxymoron for me but I certainly understand the appeal for some people. If I didn't have a home system then maybe I would invest in balanced cables when using my DAP at home. The biggest downside to using the balanced output for me is a drop in battery life. When I am traveling with my DAP battery life is at a premium so why would I want to go balanced and sacrifice battery life? Especially in less then Ideal listening environments.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #838 of 2,070
When I sold home audio gear I owned a few pairs of balanced headphones and they made sense with home audio gear. But I simply don't understand the appeal on a portable audio device. Balanced makes sense if you have hard to drive high impedance headphones but I would never use high impedance headphones with a DAP. Kind of an oxymoron for me but I certainly understand the appeal for some people. If I didn't have a home system then maybe I would invest in balanced cables when using my DAP at home. The biggest downside to using the balanced output for me is a drop in battery life. When I am traveling with my DAP battery life is at a premium so why would I want to go balanced and sacrifice battery life? Especially in less then Ideal listening environments.

Because with some devices balanced sounds better even with IEM's. Three examples for me are R3Pro, BTR5 and ZX507.

No idea why except with BTR5 I know it uses twin DAC's balanced vs one with 3.5mm.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #839 of 2,070
In my case, the given Tracking Number never worked. Received it in 5 days too from China->Canada
For info, I paid the 30$ USD fast shipping.

I will wait and try to demo at electronicsforless here in Toronto when they have them in stock in August. I much prefer to demo DAP's when possible before I buy them. I am curious to compare the R3 Pro sabre to my Fiio M9. I demoed the M11 and while I give the nod overall to the M11 for sound quality (slightly better detail and staging) the M9 has slightly different tuning than the M11 with an edgier sound with some emotion and energy. Kind of a blend between ESS sabre DAC's I have heard and the typical AKM smoother sound. I think Fiio went a little out of their comfort zone when tuning the M9 vs the other M series DAP's. It took me awhile to get use the M9 sound signature but I have grown to love it alot. I was more of a ESS sabre fan than and akm fan but the M9 has softened my stance quite a bit.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #840 of 2,070
Because with some devices balanced sounds better even with IEM's. Three examples for me are R3Pro, BTR5 and ZX507.

No idea why except with BTR5 I know it uses twin DAC's balanced vs one with 3.5mm.

I have no doubt balanced output sounds better on most DAP's but I don't like iem's and I don't want to spend money on balanced cables since I don't use my DAP at home and don't need the greatest possible sound when traveling not to mention the drop in battery life using balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back