Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #466 of 2,068
Ordered my R3 Pro Saber this morning and selected the free shipping. Might get it in August. Already have HiBy R3 and R6 Pro. Looking forward to the R8 whenever it comes out. Already gave my son an R3 for Christmas so my R# will have to go to a friend. HiBy really tries to give us what we want in a DAP.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #468 of 2,068
I have been listening to R3 Pro connected via an Atom Pro DAC. The Atom Pro uses ES9218C which, I think, is a lower-power version of the DAC that's in the new model R3 Pro. Not an apple-to-apple comparison, but I do find the ES9218C delivers a bit more detail & leaner-sounding than the existing R3 Pro's DAC/3.5mm output. The R3 Pro sounded a bit warmer and more subdued. I was using it with Blon BL-03 or CCA C10. Hope this info helps anyone deciding on which R3 Pro to purchase.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #469 of 2,068
Yer I think so, regular pro would be better for sensitive IEMS too

Also saw Saber has SPDIF out too, not sure is regular pro does too?

I think it's just the Type-C to 3.5mm Coax for SPDIF out. Hiby makes a cable for it.

I love my R3 Pro with Mojo, will look into Sabre but don't know enough about chips to make a call.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #470 of 2,068
I think it's just the Type-C to 3.5mm Coax for SPDIF out. Hiby makes a cable for it.

I love my R3 Pro with Mojo, will look into Sabre but don't know enough about chips to make a call.
If you're using with Mojo then it makes no difference as its the Mojo your listening to, not the DAC in the R3 Pro?

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #471 of 2,068
Lol, now I wan't to check out the new saber (misspelled) addition. I had an order for an hidiz ap80 pro with the same chips but it took to long to ship.

I still think the nw105 sounds a bit better than the other small daps, but you know curiosity and the hiby r3pros do have good balanced out run time and if you want to run some more demanding iems or headphones they have good power.

As far as the vanilla r3 pro- it's awesome I sold mine and wish I wouldn't have. With 2 small daps you hardly have to charge them during the week. The regular pro sounds awesome and it rivals anything I've listened to. I only like the Sony because things are separated differently in the soundstage- things have a bit more separation and space.

But you can beat the pro for the money and I dont even use the android capabilities of the nw a105. I really haven't streamed since my 3 month trial of Amazon HD ran out :wink:

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #472 of 2,068
Well we know the current R3 Pro is highly regarded and lots of great reviews.

We know little of the Sabre version.

If you need in next few days I'd wait to see if any release day review get posted.

I've got a R3 Pro on its way now ordered about 8 days ago but not regretting or feeling I've missed out on the Sabre version.

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I doubt if there's much difference sonically between the vanilla pro and the sabre pro. I'd be surprised if anyone could pick one or the other volume matched in a blind test.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #473 of 2,068
Can't wait to hear your impressions. I doubt if there's much difference sonically between the vanilla pro and the sabre pro. I'd be surprised if anyone could pick one or the other volume matched in a blind test.

Supposedly coming tomorrow.

I still love my BTR5 but want a small player with buttons to stream Tidal bit-perfect/MQA while at home (in bed!) where just plug balanced earphones in and use the buttons (in dark) etc. Plus a new toy to have a play with.

I'm p'ed off that Sony force all music at 16/48 (and now 32/192) not the actual rate of the track (or MQA)), plus only around 5hrs battery if live streaming Tidal and in EU/UK killed the volume! I'm still considering importing a Japanese ZX507 to not have the volume cap but will see if I like the cheap R3 Pro first. I did like the R5 SQ (not so much design/style) so we will see.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #474 of 2,068
I think I - probably - could. My V40 was tuned by Meridian Audio though. It could turn out that there's not even that much difference between the two R3 Pros - Headroom wise, even though the Sabre version has a little more power. A quick look at the Hiby site states -
R3 Pro Sabre - If you prefer more analytical performance, Sabre is a good choice. While I do agree with this, it's only to a small degree.
They also state - The Sabre edition brings out the edge in aggressive genres. This one I'm not real convinced about, considering what I've heard between the CS and ESS chips.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #475 of 2,068
Supposedly coming tomorrow.

I still love my BTR5 but want a small player with buttons to stream Tidal bit-perfect/MQA while at home (in bed!) where just plug balanced earphones in and use the buttons (in dark) etc. Plus a new toy to have a play with.

I'm p'ed off that Sony force all music at 16/48 (and now 32/192) not the actual rate of the track (or MQA)), plus only around 5hrs battery if live streaming Tidal and in EU/UK killed the volume! I'm still considering importing a Japanese ZX507 to not have the volume cap but will see if I like the cheap R3 Pro first. I did like the R5 SQ (not so much design/style) so we will see.

Yes the Sony only really lasts if you're not streaming. I got rid of it once and missed it, it also for me has a more stable bt connection.

But the r3 pro is just really nice and you can stream for ages and you've got mqa too. Also it does have nice bi directional BT (ldac) if you want to stream from your phone which is very nice. I liked the r3 pro's sound better than the r5, I thought the soubdstage was bigger and it had more (a touch) treble energy.

You're not going to be disappointed in the sound :wink: and it's got a very dense presentation with strong mids. Very close to the dx160 which uses the same chips or maybe one stage up- can't be arsed to look it up ha ha but they both sound fantastic and the little r3 is so pocketable.

My only quirks was BT which probably is improved, and I wish they would of used a faster processor for a little more smoothness in the UI. The internet radio feature sounds really good too. Only thing that's probably comparable is the hidiz ap80 and no wi fi on that and I'd much rather deal with hiby then those knuckleheads.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #476 of 2,068
I think I - probably - could. My V40 was tuned by Meridian Audio though. It could turn out that there's not even that much difference between the two R3 Pros - Headroom wise, even though the Sabre version has a little more power. A quick look at the Hiby site states -
R3 Pro Sabre - If you prefer more analytical performance, Sabre is a good choice. While I do agree with this, it's only to a small degree.
They also state - The Sabre edition brings out the edge in aggressive genres. This one I'm not real convinced about, considering what I've heard between the CS and ESS chips.

I think they'll both sound similar and maybe just have a different tuning. But I don't think the difference is going to be readily apparent.

I could be wrong though lol. I'm curious and Andrew from musicteck is so easy to deal with im going to pre-order the saber - sabre model and sate my curiosity. :)

I imagine dap sales would be slightly up with the self isolation bit going on.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #477 of 2,068
I think they'll both sound similar and maybe just have a different tuning. But I don't think the difference is going to be readily apparent.

I could be wrong though lol. I'm curious and Andrew from musicteck is so easy to deal with im going to pre-order the saber - sabre model and sate my curiosity. :)

I imagine dap sales would be slightly up with the self isolation bit going on.
I'm going to order one as well. It will be fun to do some comparisons. Let us know what you come up with after you've spent some time with it.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #478 of 2,068
I'm going to order one as well. It will be fun to do some comparisons. Let us know what you come up with after you've spent some time with it.

You too lol, of course I don't have vanilla r3 pro anymore so it will be based on memory which kind of sucks but I do remember how it sounded against the btr5 and nw105 and ap80 im sure I had another small fry dap but I can't remember. Ha ha

At least you have vanilla r3 pro on hand.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #479 of 2,068
You too lol, of course I don't have vanilla r3 pro anymore so it will be based on memory which kind of sucks but I do remember how it sounded against the btr5 and nw105 and ap80 im sure I had another small fry dap but I can't remember. Ha ha

At least you have vanilla r3 pro on hand. Probably better to say cirrus r3 pro :) BTW, what casting rig is that?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #480 of 2,068
do any of you's use the MSEB on the r3 pro? how is it? and with what headphones/iems?
i'm getting the r3 pro sabre for use primarily with moondrop blessings2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back