Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
May 20, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #436 of 2,068
From Spotify's own FAQ:
- Ogg/Vorbis [96, 160, 320 kbps]
- AAC [128, 256 kbps]
- HE-AACv2 [24 kbps]

Interesting. Depending where you look and how old the information is. That's the trouble with the internet - persistence of data and un-dated documents. I've also read somewhere that they put AAC (instead of Vorbis) in an OGG container.

I suppose in the end it comes down to which service's combination of UI, library, discovery features, and sound quality (and maybe other things) meets our own individual needs. For me that's Qobuz at the moment. It could change in the future, or not. I've also used and enjoyed Spotify and Google Play Music in the past.

Oh, and FWIW, one of the deciding features in Qobuz's favor, for me, anyway, is the fact that they're the highest-paying (per-stream royalties) when it comes to compensating the artists. Who deserve to be compensated for the pleasure their music brings us.

May 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #437 of 2,068
Oh, and FWIW, one of the deciding features in Qobuz's favor, for me, anyway, is the fact that they're the highest-paying (per-stream royalties) when it comes to compensating the artists. Who deserve to be compensated for the pleasure their music brings us.

I'm just a tight Yorkshireman :wink: Never pay more than I have to.

May 24, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #438 of 2,068
I have a question. I know i can use hiby link to control the r3 from my phone, but is it possible to play stuff from my phone via the r3? Podcasts etc via bt? I now it has bluetooth receive and transmit so would seem like it would be possible.

May 24, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #440 of 2,068
Joined the wrong site then :p

Not really, read feedback/reviews, get from Amazon, return! :relaxed:

I've only bought and kept 3 IEM's ever (Klipsch K10i, SE846, K10U) and one headphone (Audeze Mobius).

With the import Sony A105 I bought I made more on selling in UK! My SE846 was 2nd hand for £450 and my K10U was 2nd hand at £470. Even a Dragonfly Cobalt I bought used for £160 I sold on without loss.

The Hiby R3 Pro is a jump into the unknown but its only £165.

I even managed to get my Fiio BTR5 for only £79 with a discount code from AMP3.

I tried (and returned) a Sony WM1A as a "used, like New" when it went as low as £700 then another 20% off for Black Friday!

See the pattern :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #444 of 2,068
My standard Pro on its way from HK. What's different, just the choice of DAC's and a bit less battery life with the Sabre but bit more power?
Pro
3.5mm THD+N0.0007%
2.5mm THD+N0.0008%

Vs

Pro Sabre
3.5mm 0.0015 and 2.5mm 0.003%

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #445 of 2,068
Looks like Saber version has 280mW output power from balanced, that's a nice bump from 210mW in CS43131 version, the price is shorter battery life and extra 10$. Interesting choices for customers.

May 26, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #447 of 2,068
I guess this would be the Hiby R3 Pro Pro then, leaving me stuck with just the plain ol' pro.

No, just a different flavour Pro if you prefer your Sabre over Cirrus Logic. Some like Salt & Vinegar some like Cheese & Onion :relaxed: None is better than the other (until reviews say otherwise anyway).

May 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #448 of 2,068
No, just a different flavour Pro if you prefer your Sabre over Cirrus Logic. Some like Salt & Vinegar some like Cheese & Onion :relaxed: None is better than the other (until reviews say otherwise anyway).
That looks exactly right! Aside from the DAC chip the technical specs look otherwise identical.

Preliminary conclusions/assumptions:
No reason to consider the R3 Pro CS obsolete - it's been highly regarded and the jury didn't even hear the evidence on the Sabre version.
I applaud HiBy for this move to offer this little player in different flavors. It's a great little DAP and more options is a good thing.

May 27, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #450 of 2,068
This kinda pisses me off. I've had my R3 Pro for 3 weeks now. Why couldn't they just have put the additional power in the 1st version?! Did they improve the power output from the single ended side as well? I think I prefer the Cirrus Logic chips. Also have them in my Opus#1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back