Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #481 of 2,068
do any of you's use the MSEB on the r3 pro? how is it? and with what headphones/iems?
i'm getting the r3 pro sabre for use primarily with moondrop blessings2
I've only messed around with it some, but I don't care for it much thus far. It can definitely alter the sound though. I much prefer EQ.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #482 of 2,068
The MSEB can be pretty cool for some cans and iems. It's like a simple easy-do it parametric eq. A little goes a long way imo. I never felt the need to use it on r3 pro. I didn't personally like the eq either, unlike the r5 and higher and the Android app, using it cut the sound down and even raising the volume to me it still sounded neutered in the highs.

Although hiby could of updated that too. Hopefully it sounds similar to r3 pro, and I won't be tempted to use mseb or eq.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #483 of 2,068
it's the one thing i wish about the r3 series, a full paramatric eq

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #485 of 2,068
Can't wait to hear your impressions. I doubt if there's much difference sonically between the vanilla pro and the sabre pro. I'd be surprised if anyone could pick one or the other volume matched in a blind test.

Just arrived and 60 minute impressions:

• Build quality superb and up there with Sony and Fiio. Much prefer to build of the R5. Size/weight is perfect. Really glad I went for the grey version too. Unbelievable for the £165 spent (plus £12 import fees).
  • Straight away notice improved body, staging, liveliness over balanced connection. 3.5mm sounds a bit flatter. On some devices connections can sound the same.
  • Initial feeling is it doesn't sound quite as good as the Fiio BTR5 over balanced but that might just be that I'm more used to the BTR5 and need much more listening yet.
  • Tidal MQA streaming absolutely perfect. No issue on my wireless, sounds superb and proper MQA & bit-perfect. With low gain balanced have my K10U at volume of 35 and SE846's at 30. No background hiss/noise.
  • Custom Tidal App perfectly fine, if Tidal would only allow offline without Android/IOS it would be perfect.
  • All file types playing perfectly bit-perfect, no hassles including my range of DSD's and even a Studio Master MQA track I have that shows as MQA 24/384
  • Firmware update over MQA simple & easy
  • Screen is obviously not "Retina" resolution but not needed on a DAP and screen itself is only beaten by my OLED phones.
  • Would maybe have liked a slight separation between BCK/PLAY/FWD buttons as a couple of times already I've ended up skipping a track back rather than pause. Practice should fix.
  • Great to have OS as just a music player (apart from couple if gimmicks).
Initial thoughts against Sony A105 which this replaces:

• Build feels better quality due to buttons and copper around jacks. Both are great designs
  • Too early to say on sound quality but Signature is different to Sony which is warmer & more musical while R3Pro seems more transparent and brighter. I can already agree that keeping a Sony is worth it for the different sound signature. Its like there are all other DAP's, then the Sony's.
  • The Sony doesn't do Tidal with MQA correctly while R3Pro does. Hiby R3Pro can't have Tidal offline. For my use Tidal live streamed bit-perfect and MQA unfold over Wifi is a higher priority than scaled audio offline with the A105
  • A105 (and ZX507) has really bad battery life for streamed service music, especially if live over wifi.
20200603_115557.jpg

Any burn-in needed to improve the Hiby ?

After a bit more listening the BTR5 wired over balanced still has the edge for me but this is great for what I wanted. I feel I have the best value DAP for the money I've ever had if battery shows to be great too. I'm preferring SQ to R5 too.

Balanced is noticeably better than 3.5mm with my IEM's.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #486 of 2,068
  • Build quality superb and up there with Sony and Fiio. Much prefer to build of the R5. Size/weight is perfect. Really glad I went for the grey version too. Unbelievable for the £165 spent (plus £12 import fees).
Is this the one with new Sabre DAC? Hope the battery life is as stunning as the current one. I leave mine (version 1) on standby mode and charge it whenever I remember - which is not often.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #487 of 2,068
Lol, now I wan't to check out the new saber (misspelled) addition. I had an order for an hidiz ap80 pro with the same chips but it took to long to ship.

I still think the nw105 sounds a bit better than the other small daps, but you know curiosity and the hiby r3pros do have good balanced out run time and if you want to run some more demanding iems or headphones they have good power.

As far as the vanilla r3 pro- it's awesome I sold mine and wish I wouldn't have. With 2 small daps you hardly have to charge them during the week. The regular pro sounds awesome and it rivals anything I've listened to. I only like the Sony because things are separated differently in the soundstage- things have a bit more separation and space.

But you can beat the pro for the money and I dont even use the android capabilities of the nw a105. I really haven't streamed since my 3 month trial of Amazon HD ran out :wink:

How is it going?

Shanling no longer has a Canadian distributor and dealers that carried the Shanling DAP's are now carrying the Hiby DAP's. So I am not looking at the Q1 anymore and now I am looking at the R3 Pro probably waiting for the Sabre version (very familiar with the sound signature). The Sony A55 and A105 are now in Canada (shocking) but not considering either right now. I still really like my M9 but I want something with better battery life for travelling. Comparing the R3 Pro to the A55, the R3 Pro is a little cheaper and seems to offer more for the money, especially power output. My feelings about the A105 you well know (not worth the money).

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #488 of 2,068

• Straight away notice improved body, staging, liveliness over balanced connection. 3.5mm sounds a bit flatter. On some devices connections can sound the same.
  • Initial feeling is it doesn't sound quite as good as the Fiio BTR5 over balanced but that might just be that I'm more used to the BTR5 and need much more listening yet.
  • Tidal MQA streaming absolutely perfect. No issue on my wireless, sounds superb and proper MQA & bit-perfect. With low gain balanced have my K10U at volume of 35 and SE846's at 30. No background hiss/noise.
  • Custom Tidal App perfectly fine, if Tidal would only allow offline without Android/IOS it would be perfect.
  • All file types playing perfectly bit-perfect, no hassles including my range of DSD's and even a Studio Master MQA track I have that shows as MQA 24/384
  • Firmware update over MQA simple & easy
  • Screen is obviously not "Retina" resolution but not needed on a DAP and screen itself is only beaten by my OLED phones.
  • Would maybe have liked a slight separation between BCK/PLAY/FWD buttons as a couple of times already I've ended up skipping a track back rather than pause. Practice should fix.
  • Great to have OS as just a music player (apart from couple if gimmicks).
Initial thoughts against Sony A105 which this replaces:

• Build feels better quality due to buttons and copper around jacks. Both are great designs
  • Too early to say on sound quality but Signature is different to Sony which is warmer & more musical while R3Pro seems more transparent and brighter. I can already agree that keeping a Sony is worth it for the different sound signature. Its like there are all other DAP's, then the Sony's.
  • The Sony doesn't do Tidal with MQA correctly while R3Pro does. Hiby R3Pro can't have Tidal offline. For my use Tidal live streamed bit-perfect and MQA unfold over Wifi is a higher priority than scaled audio offline with the A105
  • A105 (and ZX507) has really bad battery life for streamed service music, especially if live over wifi.
20200603_115557.jpg

Any burn-in needed to improve the Hiby ?

After a bit more listening the BTR5 wired over balanced still has the edge for me but this is great for what I wanted. I feel I have the best value DAP for the money I've ever had if battery shows to be great too. I'm preferring SQ to R5 too.

Balanced is noticeably better than 3.5mm with my IEM's.

I didn't notice any change due to burn in but who knows. I do think that after you spend time with a new dap you grow more accustomed to the sound. The battery life on mine was really good, great standby too. On the Sony with my ak tt8ie 2 the seperation and depth is better, not a 'wall' of sound like a lot of daps but everything more separated and precisely placed in the stage. Of course im using eq on the Walkman app- just a touch cause sony has a nice eq. And I'm using neutron too which has a different sound.

But sony does have their own sound for sure and uses class d digital amps designed in house. No one else does that.

But anyways I think hiby r3 pro sounds excellent and if you ever want to tweak the sound the magic 8 ball tuning is very nice. I think it's a killer little dap for the coin and roughly 150 less than the Sony.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #489 of 2,068
How is it going?

Shanling no longer has a Canadian distributor and dealers that carried the Shanling DAP's are now carrying the Hiby DAP's. So I am not looking at the Q1 anymore and now I am looking at the R3 Pro probably waiting for the Sabre version (very familiar with the sound signature). The Sony A55 and A105 are now in Canada (shocking) but not considering either right now. I still really like my M9 but I want something with better battery life for travelling. Comparing the R3 Pro to the A55, the R3 Pro is a little cheaper and seems to offer more for the money, especially power output. My feelings about the A105 you well know (not worth the money).

It's going good :) other than the self isolation, which a hermit like me likes anyways. I love having a buffer between me and other patrons at the store, I'm super claustrophobic. I always sat in the nose bleed seats at concerts or paid for floor seating if it was Rush, so I wasn't hemmed in ha ha.

But glad to see you and psikey are still kicking :). The r3 pro, well I've gushed about it enough, and I'm sure either version will be awesome, the cirrus version sounds excellent. My only qualm was BT, but I'm sure they've had firmware updates since I had mine.

Could be that the 5.0 doesn't play good with my older wireless Sonys. But other than that the unit is solid, nice powerful sound, great battery life and a compact body with a nice screen. The nw105 is a little nicer in some aspects but it's pricey. I think the r3 pro would be at least as good sound wise as the m9, probably better.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #490 of 2,068
It's going good :) other than the self isolation, which a hermit like me likes anyways. I love having a buffer between me and other patrons at the store, I'm super claustrophobic. I always sat in the nose bleed seats at concerts or paid for floor seating if it was Rush, so I wasn't hemmed in ha ha.

But glad to see you and psikey are still kicking :). The r3 pro, well I've gushed about it enough, and I'm sure either version will be awesome, the cirrus version sounds excellent. My only qualm was BT, but I'm sure they've had firmware updates since I had mine.

Could be that the 5.0 doesn't play good with my older wireless Sonys. But other than that the unit is solid, nice powerful sound, great battery life and a compact body with a nice screen. The nw105 is a little nicer in some aspects but it's pricey. I think the r3 pro would be at least as good sound wise as the m9, probably better.
I prefer to the M11 and R5 I had.

Now tried the R3Pro (not Sabre) with my BTR5 & Audeze Mobius via LDAC 900kbps and all solid, stable.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #491 of 2,068
I prefer to the M11 and R5 I had.

Now tried the R3Pro (not Sabre) with my BTR5 & Audeze Mobius via LDAC 900kbps and all solid, stable.

I preferred it to those 2 also, thought the stage was wider than r5 and thought the bass and treble were a bit tighter. I liked the bass on r3p better than m11 also.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #492 of 2,068
I preferred it to those 2 also, thought the stage was wider than r5 and thought the bass and treble were a bit tighter. I liked the bass on r3p better than m11 also.

We agree on a fair bit. I still want a ZX507 import for the Sony sound signature but will also wait a while to see if a 1A replacement is announced with streaming or a better price to import.

I have had Tidal crash the Hiby a couple of times.

For my home use its a winner! Hiby Link is like having Spotify Connect for Tidal streaming ! I can skip tracks, play/pause, change volume with my smartphone (can't navigate like native tracks on the R3 Pro itself).

What setting should it be for volume normalisation in Tidal mode if random playing across albums?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #493 of 2,068
We agree on a fair bit. I still want a ZX507 import for the Sony sound signature but will also wait a while to see if a 1A replacement is announced with streaming or a better price to import.

I have had Tidal crash the Hiby a couple of times.

For my home use its a winner! Hiby Link is like having Spotify Connect for Tidal streaming ! I can skip tracks, play/pause, change volume with my smartphone (can't navigate like native tracks on the R3 Pro itself).

What setting should it be for volume normalisation in Tidal mode if random playing across albums?

Crap I can't remember what they call it, I think it's system wide. Oh it's called replay gain, Ive never used it so I don't know if it's system wide or just for hiby app.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #494 of 2,068
On a side note it's weird because the original r3 and the r6 pro both used sabre dacs and they both sounded on the warm side to me. The r5 was less so and the r3 I think was less so too. Oh maybe they both just had more treble energy.

So we shall see if they implement the sabre chips differently on the supposedly towards detail/analytic sound of the new r3p. They could tune it that way for sure, but I still want nice bottom end like the btr5.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #495 of 2,068
4 hours solid Tidal streaming and not a WIFI drop yet :relaxed: (auto connected to my 5GHz)
I also seem to have no issue with BT either.

If this only did offline Tidal it would be 10/10 but I know that's not Hiby's fault but streaming companies insisting on Android/IOS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back