Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
May 20, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #421 of 2,070
Just ordered a grey R3 Pro from Hiby but then thought, does it still play Tidal MQA's correctly with it not being Android? I want it mostly as a small Bitperfect Tidal MQA streamer.

I did test out an R5 but wanted something smaller and actually prefer visual style of R3 Pro over R5 and my Balanced cables are mostly 2.5mm.

May 20, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #422 of 2,070
Just ordered a grey R3 Pro from Hiby but then thought, does it still play Tidal MQA's correctly with it not being Android? I want it mostly as a small Bitperfect Tidal MQA streamer.

I did test out an R5 but wanted something smaller and actually prefer visual style of R3 Pro over R5 and my Balanced cables are mostly 2.5mm.

I tried mine with Tidal and my Meze 99 Noir headphones (with balanced 2.5mm cable), and it does play MQA (or so it says).

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #423 of 2,070
I tried mine with Tidal and my Meze 99 Noir headphones (with balanced 2.5mm cable), and it does play MQA (or so it says).
Likely no way of knowing anyway for certain without analysing output with some kit.

Is The Hiby R3 Pro a cut down Android or a custom Linux build?

May 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #424 of 2,070
Hiby says they've created their own OS (now OS 3, I think). I'm not very technically adept, so I have no idea what it's based on. I do know that while you can stream Tidal and Qobuz, you can't download stuff. This is fine for me because I mostly listen to music I've collected over the years (transferred from my modded iPod Classic).

May 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #425 of 2,070
Hiby says they've created their own OS (now OS 3, I think). I'm not very technically adept, so I have no idea what it's based on. I do know that while you can stream Tidal and Qobuz, you can't download stuff. This is fine for me because I mostly listen to music I've collected over the years (transferred from my modded iPod Classic).
Yes, so long as it streams Tidal Masters without issue I don't need offline storage of Tidal as will always have wifi available where I'll be using. Have my own tracks on a Samsung EVO 512GB mSD to use with it.

I just like the design/size/battery life with this and the comments its close to the R5 for sound (which I tried and liked the sound).

May 20, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #426 of 2,070
I'm reallly just trying out streaming since I got the Hiby... past the trial periods for Tidal and Qobuz, I don't know yet whether I'll continue to subscribe to either. There are dropouts from time to time, and there is no way to reduce the file size (except subscribing to the cheaper version of Tidal, maybe). For now, though, everything streams at the highest quality... I don't know whether the dropouts are due to limitations of the R3 or my Wi-Fi network. I don't seem to have any problems streaming content on my TV or computer, so...

May 20, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #427 of 2,070
... there is no way to reduce the file size (except subscribing to the cheaper version of Tidal, maybe). For now, though, everything streams at the highest quality... I don't know whether the dropouts are due to limitations of the R3 or my Wi-Fi network. I don't seem to have any problems streaming content on my TV or computer, so...

I've noticed that as well - no way to select maximum quality as in the native app. I thought perhaps it was a limitation of the API, but the fact that BubbleUPnP offers the ability to limit max quality (on Qobuz, anyway; I don't use Tidal) suggests it *is* possible to do in a 3rd-party app. I hope someone at Hiby reads this forum and can get that feature added. It's really my only quibble with the R3 Pro - otherwise it ticks all the boxes for my needs.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #428 of 2,070
i did read some have issues with the R5 wifi streaming but I never had issues with it but do have a high-end router and fast reliable internet.

May 20, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #429 of 2,070
I've noticed that as well - no way to select maximum quality as in the native app. I thought perhaps it was a limitation of the API, but the fact that BubbleUPnP offers the ability to limit max quality (on Qobuz, anyway; I don't use Tidal) suggests it *is* possible to do in a 3rd-party app. I hope someone at Hiby reads this forum and can get that feature added. It's really my only quibble with the R3 Pro - otherwise it ticks all the boxes for my needs.

No point in having Tidal unless its for the highest level with MQA's in my opionion. I prefer Spotify UI/system if for lossy playback.

I've had Spotify £9.99 sub for years and wife prefers it but also had numerous Tidal accounts for last 2 years and must have paid under £20 total with all the free trials or low cost options recently (5 months for £5 and just done a 4 month for £4).

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #430 of 2,070
No point in having Tidal unless its for the highest level with MQA's in my opionion. I prefer Spotify UI/system if for lossy playback.

I'm just the opposite - I see no reason for the added cost and complication of using multiple services when I can get lossless or higher when I want it and lossy when I need it from one provider, same playlists, etc. Also, I can't speak for Tidal, but I can say that Qobuz's 320k streams sound noticeably better than Spotify's, so there's that. One would think they should sound about the same, if not identical, but that's not been my experience. Spotify doesn't sound as bad as Amazon, but it does sound worse than Qobuz's identical bitrate streams. Maybe an AAC vs MP3 thing? Or maybe Qobuz encodes their own lossy files, using a better sounding codec or higher quality settings?

May 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #431 of 2,070
I'm just the opposite - I see no reason for the added cost and complication of using multiple services when I can get lossless or higher when I want it and lossy when I need it from one provider, same playlists, etc. Also, I can't speak for Tidal, but I can say that Qobuz's 320k streams sound noticeably better than Spotify's, so there's that. One would think they should sound about the same, if not identical, but that's not been my experience. Spotify doesn't sound as bad as Amazon, but it does sound worse than Qobuz's identical bitrate streams. Maybe an AAC vs MP3 thing? Or maybe Qobuz encodes their own lossy files, using a better sounding codec or higher quality settings?

I only keep Spotify as wife is "bonded" to it and its podcasts.

As above, not really paying anything of significance for Tidal :wink:

I've always found Spotify to sound great and they use Ogg files if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #432 of 2,070
STREAMING SERVICEMAX LOSSY QUALITY (KB/S)MAX QUALITY(KB/S)SUPPORTED FORMATS
Qobuz3204,608MP3, FLAC
Amazon Music HD3203,730FLAC
Tidal3201,411 or "Master Quality"FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MQA
Deezer3201,411FLAC
Spotify Free160128AAC
Spotify Premium320320AAC
Google Play Music320320MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, or ALAC
Slacker Radio320320MP3
Apple Music256256AAC
YouTube Music256256AAC
Pandora192192AAC
SoundCloud Go+256256AAC

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #433 of 2,070
I don't think the R3 Pro supports Spotify... only Qobuz and Tidal (plus some internet radio). I've never subscribed to any of the streaming services beyond the trial periods, but do sometimes listen to free Spotify on my phone... mainly Spotify Stations. I like it, but could do without them thanking me for listening quite so often.

May 20, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #434 of 2,070
STREAMING SERVICEMAX LOSSY QUALITY (KB/S)MAX QUALITY(KB/S)SUPPORTED FORMATS
Qobuz3204,608MP3, FLAC
Amazon Music HD3203,730FLAC
Tidal3201,411 or "Master Quality"FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MQA
Deezer3201,411FLAC
Spotify Free160128AAC
Spotify Premium320320AAC
Google Play Music320320MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, or ALAC
Slacker Radio320320MP3
Apple Music256256AAC
YouTube Music256256AAC
Pandora192192AAC
SoundCloud Go+256256AAC

From just checking it looks like its still only the Web Player that uses AAC. Mobile & PC apps still use Ogg (the 3 levels).

From Spotify's own FAQ:

How does Spotify process my audio files?
When we receive your audio files, we apply the following processes:

Check they aren’t corrupt and that their format and container is known.
Convert to WAV 44.1 kHz (keeping bit depth).
Transcode the file into the following delivery formats for the quality options available to listeners:
- Ogg/Vorbis [96, 160, 320 kbps]
- AAC [128, 256 kbps]
- HE-AACv2 [24 kbps]
Calculate the loudness using ReplayGain.
Files are also encrypted before they’re delivered to the platform, but this doesn’t affect the resulting files.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #435 of 2,070
I don't think the R3 Pro supports Spotify... only Qobuz and Tidal (plus some internet radio). I've never subscribed to any of the streaming services beyond the trial periods, but do sometimes listen to free Spotify on my phone... mainly Spotify Stations. I like it, but could do without them thanking me for listening quite so often.
Yep, I know Spotify won't play on the R3 Pro. Only intend to use my own files & Tidal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back