Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #211 of 2,070
Impressions after 2 weeks ownership:

This DAP is a true jack of all trades. I have been using it as a stand-alone player, bluetooth streamer and digital transport with the USB-C to coax out cable (not included).

Single ended and balanced both sound good, but I prefer the balanced due to greater power output. Balanced output sounds fantastic and the dual DACs are clear and neutral, with no extra weight to either end of the frequency response. No hiss or noise-floor with sensitive BA IEMs whatsoever from either output.

Usability is great, no bugs or issues with any of the device features that I have experienced so far. Wifi connection is decently strong. The only time when the device was struggling/lagging was with a slower internet connection and attempting to stream Tidal MQA. Other than that, Tidal works relatively seamlessly and so does local file storage browsing and listening, even with a large 400GB SD card. The database update does take quite a while, but boot-up is quick if you turn on manual update. Also, no issues with LDAC bluetooth connection from my phone (Oneplus 5t) even for during longer listening periods and on-the-go. Battery life has been as advertised, although streaming with WiFi takes the biggest hit, which is why I prefer to use bluetooth for streaming. For the price, I find this DAP hard to beat in terms of usability, functionality and, most importantly, sound. In fact, for IEM usage I prefer the R3Pro to the R5 (which is also a great DAP), due to the ultra-portability and not having Android, which helps extend battery life.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #212 of 2,070
I ordered this directly from Hiby's website in early Dec. They said it would ship out on Dec.15. On Dec. 15 I received an email saying they are sorry but they ran out of stock and they would let me know by Dec.24-Dec.25 when my order will finally ship. Today is Dec. 30 and I still haven't heard back from them!
I could of gotten this already from musicteck but Hiby had a bit of a deal going so I went for it.
I hope this ships soon!

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #213 of 2,070
I ordered this directly from Hiby's website in early Dec. They said it would ship out on Dec.15. On Dec. 15 I received an email saying they are sorry but they ran out of stock and they would let me know by Dec.24-Dec.25 when my order will finally ship. Today is Dec. 30 and I still haven't heard back from them!
I could of gotten this already from musicteck but Hiby had a bit of a deal going so I went for it.
I hope this ships soon!

I was in the same situation but received an email saying they will ship on January 2.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #214 of 2,070
I was in the same situation but received an email saying they will ship on January 2.

Thank you for letting me know that. I contacted Hiby today via email and they responded quickly, saying that I was already notified about my shipment going out January 2 also.
Every single email from them went directly to my Inbox but for some reason the order ship date went directly to my spam box.
Anyway my R3 Pro should be shipping soon.

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #216 of 2,070
User manual doesn't describe the following:

Wireless settings > Bluetooth > LDAC (audio quality) or LDAC Standard or LDAC (Auto)

LDAC (audio quality) = 660 or 990 kbps?
LDAC (standard) = 330 or 660 kbps?
LDAC (auto) = 330 or 660 or 990 kbps?

I just set it at LDAC (audio quality) unless there is stuttering.

Sony calls LDAC (quality priority mode) = 990 kbps
LDAC (normal mode) = 660 kbps
LDAC (connection priority mode) = 330 kbps

Not a big deal, just reconciling the different breakdowns between Hiby and Sony.

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #217 of 2,070

Wireless settings > Bluetooth > LDAC (audio quality) or LDAC Standard or LDAC (Auto)

Not a big deal, just reconciling the different breakdowns between Hiby and Sony.
But in practice, you will almost never get those bit rates anyway. They most likely only created those categories to let the users think they are getting the best by selecting "quality priority". When I connect my R3 to my phone it auto changes to "LDAC 990kbps" even with SBC selected manually.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #218 of 2,070
Has anyone been able to upgrade to firmware 1.2 on the R3Pro?
Or have a link to download?

Mine is showing this available by OTA but download speed is incredibly slow.
Hiby site still only shows 1.1 available to download to SD card.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #219 of 2,070
Has anyone been able to upgrade to firmware 1.2 on the R3Pro?
Or have a link to download?

Mine is showing this available by OTA but download speed is incredibly slow.
Hiby site still only shows 1.1 available to download to SD card.

I upgraded yesterday via OTA. It was fast. Maybe a temporary problem?

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #221 of 2,070
From the OTA 1.2 changelog:

1. Added AAC Bluetooth output
2. Added charging current limit in USB DAC mode to add support for USB DAC use with iDevices
3. Fixed issue where R3 Pro is prone to hangups after waking from standby
4. Fixed issue where Bluetooth may fail on re-connection
5. Various other bug fixes

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #222 of 2,070

Streaming via LDAC to my Sony receiver and viewing details on my tv it shows the actual bit rates. LDAC HQ - stated 990 kbps - actual 905 kbps, LDAC Standard 660 kbps - actual 620 kbps, auto 330 kbps - actual 320 kbps. So the actual bit rates are close but definitely lower than stated. Of course with bluetooth results will vary depending on distance, obstacles, presence of 2.4 khz sources and other electronic signals which will affect the signal strength and signal stability.

Sony DAP's have the best signal strength for LDAC so I doubt the R3 Pro will do as well. These results are close to my old A17 and current Fiio M9, both of which have strong bluetooth signals

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #223 of 2,070
Streaming via LDAC to my Sony receiver and viewing details on my tv it shows the actual bit rates. LDAC HQ - stated 990 kbps - actual 905 kbps, LDAC Standard 660 kbps - actual 620 kbps, auto 330 kbps - actual 320 kbps. So the actual bit rates are close but definitely lower than stated. Of course with bluetooth results will vary depending on distance, obstacles, presence of 2.4 khz sources and other electronic signals which will affect the signal strength and signal stability.

Sony DAP's have the best signal strength for LDAC so I doubt the R3 Pro will do as well. These results are close to my old A17 and current Fiio M9, both of which have strong bluetooth signals

which firmware are you running?

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #225 of 2,070
Firmware 1.2: Briefly tested UAT & LDAC between Hidizs AP80 (host) & R3Pro(client). LDAC(auto) & UAT(900k) selections reports playing 96khz. Line-of-sight distance up to around 6 metres. When selecting UAT(1.2m), the LOS distance drops to less than 2 metres, and worse if I put my body in the way. The BT now seems to be more usable than firmware v1.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back