Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #61 of 2,068
Well I'm using balanced on the R3 which is more open and 'bigger' sounding than A105 also it's more neutral and accurate and a bit more resolving/detailed. The Sony is a bit warmer and softer sounding, with a slightly smaller sound stage, the r3p has a nice wide stage out of balanced. It sounds much better than it's price, output is quite too.

Will try the single out later. But I'm impressed with the sound. The Sony has it's own charm soundwise, but this is better technically, more neutral but still dynamic.

The bluetooth was an issue lol, but the update fixed it. :wink:

The sony build is better and you have the full android, and smoother UI. But the build on r3p is good and the battery life so far is very, very good- even using tidal. Hiby is probably my favorite Chinese dap company, after the stellar r5 and this little gem.

Wow I am shocked you find the R3 Pro sounds better or should I say different in a good way from the A105. So are you going to keep the A105 or sell it? I feel much better now about removing the A105 from contention. The battery life on the R3 Pro caught my eye as well so will try to check it out if available. Unfortunately the only Canadian dealer that normally carries Hiby DAP's doesn't have any on their site right now. Hopefully they are just waiting for stock to come in.

I remember you posting that some people found the A105 sounded better than the Fiio M11. So that would mean by extension that the R3 Pro sounds better than the M11? That would be quite surprising given the price difference.

On another note, I was listening to the M9 on high gain at 68/120 and it sounded really good. But I remembered a review I read about Fiio portable amps awhile ago, can't remember which model that said that the sound opens up once you get above 60% volume level. So I switched to low Gain at 80/120 (67%) and to my ears it does sound better, hard to describe the difference, just somehow more open and detailed however slight. Could be a placebo affect but I still perceive the sound as actually improving slightly so I will stick with it.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #62 of 2,068
Wow I am shocked you find the R3 Pro sounds better or should I say different in a good way from the A105. So are you going to keep the A105 or sell it? I feel much better now about removing the A105 from contention. The battery life on the R3 Pro caught my eye as well so will try to check it out if available. Unfortunately the only Canadian dealer that normally carries Hiby DAP's doesn't have any on their site right now. Hopefully they are just waiting for stock to come in.

I remember you posting that some people found the A105 sounded better than the Fiio M11. So that would mean by extension that the R3 Pro sounds better than the M11? That would be quite surprising given the price difference.

On another note, I was listening to the M9 on high gain at 68/120 and it sounded really good. But I remembered a review I read about Fiio portable amps awhile ago, can't remember which model that said that the sound opens up once you get above 60% volume level. So I switched to low Gain at 80/120 (67%) and to my ears it does sound better, hard to describe the difference, just somehow more open and detailed however slight. Could be a placebo affect but I still perceive the sound as actually improving slightly so I will stick with it.

Well the Sony has that nice easy going sound it's rich sounding and dense. The r3p is more airy sounding and has less bass emphasis. I thought the bass on the m11 was too strong at times, but this is with my iems. M11 is way more powerful. Most thing I didn't like about m11 was it's huge size. They all sound good.

The Sonys very cool, but I might be selling it just because of the battery life of the hiby. And the hiby sound reminds me of r5.

I had the ap80 for active use and vehicle use and another dap for more serious listening the r5. But with the r3p it sounds similar out of balanced and the thing is tiny with great battery life, so I don't need 2 daps.

The Sony is a great all in one unit too with more options, but I do have a touch of trouble reading the small screen- hiby screen is easier to read, it's not android.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #64 of 2,068
Don't suppose there is any native audiobook/podcast support is there? Main reason I went android is for the ability to use apps for that, but still miss the simplicity of the native apple music app on i devices.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #65 of 2,068
hello, can you test if theres any issue using the R3 PRO as a USB DAC? like Any noticeable Sound Delay?

Any delay in usb dac mode? For toopoorforhifi:wink:

Just tested the USB DAC function a little while ago. Windows 10 instantly recognized the R3 Pro when first plugged in and installed the drivers without any fuss. WASAPI works flawlessly(haven't tried ASIO yet). I didn't experience any discernible lag when watching a few YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #66 of 2,068
Ok this God damn thing keeps crashing. It gets stuck on the now playing screen. You can go back into the menu but you can't select anything.

You have to force close it and restart it then of course it doesn't remember where you were. I've never had any problems like this. It's done it at least 6 times since yesterday.

Can't anybody make a decent dap? The Sony has been rock solid but it doesn't quite sound as good and the battery life isn't as good. Please report this if you can Joe, and I don't see any internet radio feature.

Getting tired of being a beta tester between this and ibasso. AK is way overpriced, and cayin doesn't make anything small besides n3 and that is cheap, cheap and horrid (for me) controls and sr15 is pretty small but overpriced and has a narrow sound stage and battery is so so. M6 is ok but its soc really can't handle the apps and it doesn't sound as good as this.

Ok I'm done venting :) I hope this gets buttoned up fast. Using Samsung evo 256 with mp3, flac, dsd. I think it's happened with more than one type of file.

Maybe a buffer problem with that soc. Don't know.

I was just going to post how awesome the battery life was and it froze/crashed again.

Anyone else experienced this?

I'm looking for a dap that's small/light enough to use for working out and chores but sounds good enough that I don't miss better sounding daps like wm1a, dx160, r5,m11,u8 etc.

Ap80 and m6 worked good but just didn't have that sound of the higher priced daps- even ak sr15 to a lesser extent. U8 was pretty small and light but the firmware was a mess and it was 1200 dollars. The r5 was stellar but just a bit too heavy to put in a shirt or shorts pocket and run and jump etc. But very close to my idea dap.

The Sony a105 sounds wonderful and works well and is small enough but when used for every kind of listening it will have to be charged daily and turned off at night.

R3p sounds good enough to not miss the more $$$ daps (I'm using balanced) and it's small and light and has a great battery life.

So hopefully I can fix this, - going to scan my card for errors on the pc. And maybe do a factory reset.

Anyways other than the crashing and no internet radio ( something I would actually use) it's pretty damn cool.

Edit: man long post. I actually think it's a bug in the standby mode which is causing the freezing. The ap80 did the exact same thing when you activated standby mode, until it got fixed in an update. For now I can just leave it off standby mode and turn it on and off- it boots very quick.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #67 of 2,068
Ok this God damn thing keeps crashing. It gets stuck on the now playing screen. You can go back into the menu but you can't select anything.

You have to force close it and restart it then of course it doesn't remember where you were. I've never had any problems like this. It's done it at least 6 times since yesterday.

Can't anybody make a decent dap? The Sony has been rock solid but it doesn't quite sound as good and the battery life isn't as good. Please report this if you can Joe, and I don't see any internet radio feature.

Getting tired of being a beta tester between this and ibasso. AK is way overpriced, and cayin doesn't make anything small besides n3 and that is cheap, cheap and horrid (for me) controls and sr15 is pretty small but overpriced and has a narrow sound stage and battery is so so. M6 is ok but its soc really can't handle the apps and it doesn't sound as good as this.

Ok I'm done venting :) I hope this gets buttoned up fast. Using Samsung evo 256 with mp3, flac, dsd. I think it's happened with more than one type of file.

I was just going to post how awesome the battery life was and it froze/crashed again.

I'm looking for a dap that's small/light enough to use for working out and chores but sounds good enough that I don't miss better sounding daps like wm1a, dx160, r5,m11,u8 etc.

Ap80 and m6 worked good but just didn't have that sound of the higher priced daps- even ak sr15 to a lesser extent. U8 was pretty small and light but the firmware was a mess and it was 1200 dollars. The r5 was stellar but just a bit too heavy to put in a shirt or shorts pocket and run and jump etc. But very close to my idea dap.

The Sony a105 sounds wonderful and works well and is small enough but when used for every kind of listening it will have to be charged daily and turned off at night.

R3p sounds good enough to not miss the more $$$ daps (I'm using balanced) and it's small and light and has a great battery life.

So hopefully I can fix this, - going to scan my card for errors on the pc. And maybe do a factory reset.

Anyways other than the crashing and no internet radio ( something I would actually use) it's pretty damn cool.

Edit: man long post. I actually think it's a bug in the standby mode which is causing the freezing. The ap80 did the exact same thing when you activated standby mode, until it got fixed in an update. For now I can just leave it off standby mode and turn it on and off- it boots very quick.

Shanling m0 or is that a bit too small?

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #70 of 2,068
Reported to devs... Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #71 of 2,068
Reported to devs... Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

Lol thanks, strangely today it's been crash free. But I do remember something like this happening with hidiz ap80. Any idea about the wifi radio? Or is that in the pipeline?

I have to say the battery life is really something, I've been playing it quite a bit for 2 days and some of that using tidal and I've still got 44% left. Would be cool if they got Amazon music too, but I'm not holding my breath :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #72 of 2,068
Well the Sony has that nice easy going sound it's rich sounding and dense. The r3p is more airy sounding and has less bass emphasis. I thought the bass on the m11 was too strong at times, but this is with my iems. M11 is way more powerful. Most thing I didn't like about m11 was it's huge size. They all sound good.

The Sonys very cool, but I might be selling it just because of the battery life of the hiby. And the hiby sound reminds me of r5.

I had the ap80 for active use and vehicle use and another dap for more serious listening the r5. But with the r3p it sounds similar out of balanced and the thing is tiny with great battery life, so I don't need 2 daps.

The Sony is a great all in one unit too with more options, but I do have a touch of trouble reading the small screen- hiby screen is easier to read, it's not android.

I actually demoed a Fiio M11 the other day, size and price made it a non-option but still curious to compare it to my M9. They sound very similar and the M11 sounds marginally better overall but you really have to listen closely and it is track sensitive as to how much difference you hear. I certainly would not have paid double for the M11 for sound quality alone.

Yes it seems like Hiby provides high quality screens for their DAP's, another definite plus as my vision is on the decline. The Shanling M0 was a nightmare screen to read, the M9 screen being IPS is a definite step up from the M7 screen, very easy to read for me

Yeah I saw the R5 was on sale on Black Friday but price was still out of my price range. The R3 Pro on paper fits my needs almost perfectly so will keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #73 of 2,068

That is some damn fine venting, giving me a run for my money:deadhorse:

Sorry to hear the R3 Pro is crash prone, say what you want about my Shanling M0, Fiio M7 and now Fiio M9, not a crash prone unit among them. Yeah I am totally done being a beta tester for Chinese DAP's. After reading your rant I am thinking I will keep my M9 until next Black Friday and wait and see how Hiby does getting the R3 Pro to be stable and get all the planned features working. If it is any consolation your pain has been a great source of learning for me about all these DAP's and not being an early adopter. :poop: :face_palm::ok_hand:

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #74 of 2,068
Lol thanks, strangely today it's been crash free. But I do remember something like this happening with hidiz ap80. Any idea about the wifi radio? Or is that in the pipeline?

I have to say the battery life is really something, I've been playing it quite a bit for 2 days and some of that using tidal and I've still got 44% left. Would be cool if they got Amazon music too, but I'm not holding my breath :wink:

QQ图片20191205225118.jpg

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #75 of 2,068
That is some damn fine venting, giving me a run for my money:deadhorse:

Sorry to hear the R3 Pro is crash prone, say what you want about my Shanling M0, Fiio M7 and now Fiio M9, not a crash prone unit among them. Yeah I am totally done being a beta tester for Chinese DAP's. After reading your rant I am thinking I will keep my M9 until next Black Friday and wait and see how Hiby does getting the R3 Pro to be stable and get all the planned features working. If it is any consolation your pain has been a great source of learning for me about all these DAP's and not being an early adopter. :poop: :face_palm::ok_hand:

I think it's just the unit going to sleep and you have to press the power button twice. It only happened once yesterday and with 2 taps it worked.

So I'm not worried at all, I could always just shut it off when not in use. The thing boots in like 6 seconds. I actually really like it, sound, size and battery life are stellar.

But hey keep the m9, I'm sure it's nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back