Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 2,070
Well... can you elaborate on what support of it would consist of? From what I know of it PD charging should be compatible with all existing equipment...

Thanks for remembering me PD is compatible with all equipments. I only have PD chargers. R3 Pro might be my Xmas gift. Hopefully it's good to drive the IMR Rah.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #47 of 2,070
Got it today and updated to 1.1. Sounds good but bluetooth (one of the main reasons I want a small dap like this) is completely broken, even on sbc, let alone ldac.

It's like the processor or chip can't handle it. It froze several times trying to use bluetooth. Very disappointing since the unit sounds good and has a good battery life. Plus well the r5 worked well with bluetooth.

Anyways going back, especially since the update did nil for BT. It's worse than dx160.

Honestly I can't believe this things for sale in this state.

Edit: ok ignore that about the bluetooth, I don't know if it needed a restart with the firmware upgrade of what but now it's working beautifully, even LDAC. - hiby you need to have the unit remember your volume level with iems plugged in, I nearly blew my eardrums out when I plugged them in after bluetooth volume was turned up to 100%.

Anyways will test tidal for the heck of it and will test more BT and car connection. Will post some pics later.

Sound is fantastic for such a small unit, I do wish the eq didn't kill the volume, r5 didn't. But mseb works as good as ever. And r5 is just too heavy to be pocketable like this.

The sound really reminds me of r5.

Ok pics a bit later, I have sony a105 to compare it with size wise. Oh and battery seems good so far- using balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #48 of 2,070
I ordered mine today ... almost cancelled it when I read about the bluetooth, ... good you got it fixed @abitdeef!

I look forward to your findings whilst mine (ironically) wings it way from USA -> Asia.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #49 of 2,070
I ordered mine today ... almost cancelled it when I read about the bluetooth, ... good you got it fixed @abitdeef!

I look forward to your findings whilst mine (ironically) wings it way from USA -> Asia.

Lol sorry about that, it really was bad, like I said either I has massive emi interference at that time or it needed a restart to complete the update.

Listening to tidal now, interface is weird and it's a bit pokey but mqa is playing well :) Battery seems really good too, that's one reason I got it. And on how awesome the r5 was- so I was surprised, but all is good now.

Really for the sound, battery life and price it's going to be pretty much unbeatable. Hotel California is sounding stellar :wink:

20191202_225447.jpg
20191202_225450.jpg

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #51 of 2,070
I also can confirm that the 1.1 update for the Hiby Pro seems to have resolved the stuttering and connectivity issues when using bluetooth headphones. I did notice that a DSD 64 plays fine, but a DSD 128 will still stutter if you interact with the device while it is playing. I used my WH-1000MX3 w/ 'LDAC prefer connection' for the test.
--
David

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #52 of 2,070
Lol sorry about that, it really was bad, like I said either I has massive emi interference at that time or it needed a restart to complete the update.

Listening to tidal now, interface is weird and it's a bit pokey but mqa is playing well :) Battery seems really good too, that's one reason I got it. And on how awesome the r5 was- so I was surprised, but all is good now.

Really for the sound, battery life and price it's going to be pretty much unbeatable. Hotel California is sounding stellar :wink:

hello, can you test if theres any issue using the R3 PRO as a USB DAC? like Any noticeable Sound Delay?

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #53 of 2,070
I received my R3 Pro now for a few days and I've put 4-5 hours listening time in so far (most with LZ-A4 IEM's from the balanced output, an hour or so with a custom Grado headphone with Symphones Magnum V9 drivers installed in Narra wood cups).

So far I'm quite impressed. It retains much of what I like about the R3 with a bit more clarity and detail in the bass through lower mid. Actually, clarity seems improved across the board.

Color me impressed! :)

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #55 of 2,070
Here's a size comparison between two small fry.

So you pulled the trigger on the R3 Pro, glad to hear the bluetooth issue isn't an issue after all based on what I read previously. I have stopped following the A105 thread for now but would love to read a comparison from you on the R3 Pro and A105. Kind of let my frustration with Sony get the best of me in my last post on A105 thread. I am not expecting the R3 Pro to sound as good as the A105 given the price difference.

Looking forward to the day I can compare these two with my Fiio M9. Still very happy with it, 20+ hours of listening to it, sound has opened up nicely, great sounding match with my NAD headphones. I activated the Developer Mode and set the 3 animation options to zero and it has improved the responsiveness even more. Just wish the A105 and R3 Pro had been released here so I could have demoed all 3. As much as I am enjoying the M9 I can't stop wondering about the other two. Based on my experience with other Sony DAP's the M9 sounds similar to the Sony house sound with some nice warmth in the sound.

I kind of expect the M9 will be somewhere between R3 Pro and A105 sound quality wise and therefore a good compromise for me given my DAP budget

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #57 of 2,070
So you pulled the trigger on the R3 Pro, glad to hear the bluetooth issue isn't an issue after all based on what I read previously. I have stopped following the A105 thread for now but would love to read a comparison from you on the R3 Pro and A105. Kind of let my frustration with Sony get the best of me in my last post on A105 thread. I am not expecting the R3 Pro to sound as good as the A105 given the price difference.

Looking forward to the day I can compare these two with my Fiio M9. Still very happy with it, 20+ hours of listening to it, sound has opened up nicely, great sounding match with my NAD headphones. I activated the Developer Mode and set the 3 animation options to zero and it has improved the responsiveness even more. Just wish the A105 and R3 Pro had been released here so I could have demoed all 3. As much as I am enjoying the M9 I can't stop wondering about the other two. Based on my experience with other Sony DAP's the M9 sounds similar to the Sony house sound with some nice warmth in the sound.

I kind of expect the M9 will be somewhere between R3 Pro and A105 sound quality wise and therefore a good compromise for me given my DAP budget

Well I'm using balanced on the R3 which is more open and 'bigger' sounding than A105 also it's more neutral and accurate and a bit more resolving/detailed. The Sony is a bit warmer and softer sounding, with a slightly smaller sound stage, the r3p has a nice wide stage out of balanced. It sounds much better than it's price, output is quite too.

Will try the single out later. But I'm impressed with the sound. The Sony has it's own charm soundwise, but this is better technically, more neutral but still dynamic.

The bluetooth was an issue lol, but the update fixed it. :wink:

The sony build is better and you have the full android, and smoother UI. But the build on r3p is good and the battery life so far is very, very good- even using tidal. Hiby is probably my favorite Chinese dap company, after the stellar r5 and this little gem.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #58 of 2,070
I used the R3 PRO in USB DAC mode and I can confirm it detects MQA tracks. Tidal and Foobar200 under WASAPI mode works.

Both as a renderer (Tidal doing the first unfold) and as a full decoder (Tidal MQA Passthrough).

And in Foobar2000 as long as the volume is at its max.

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #59 of 2,070
Niiiiiiiice. I was hoping for that with MQA. Time to buy my full license for Audirvana then, ... shame they didn't have any Black Friday discounts :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #60 of 2,070
I used the R3 PRO in USB DAC mode and I can confirm it detects MQA tracks. Tidal and Foobar200 under WASAPI mode works.

Both as a renderer (Tidal doing the first unfold) and as a full decoder (Tidal MQA Passthrough).

And in Foobar2000 as long as the volume is at its max.

Any delay in usb dac mode? For toopoorforhifi:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back