Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,081 of 2,070
Sorry other question:
In the Play settings there is a "Output Selection with a (headphone Icon)" but the "headphone Icon" is grayed out and cannot be changed. Why ? Doesn't seem to matter what I change the "Output Selection with a (headphone Icon)" is grayed out. Thank you !!
Enables line-out mode (fixed full volume) selection when unbalanced 3.5mm is plugged in. IMO, it's a well implemented line-out - it's quite neutral with good details and doesn't muddy up the external amp's sound.

BTW, I've never like the bass performance of the Nano, it sounds a little bloated & unrefined. Rest of the bandwidth is good though. Are you getting good synergy pairing it with one of your earphones/headphones? Any recommendation?
EDIT: Cancel that request. Just took it apart and found a bloated Li-ion battery that's likely the problem; I suspect insufficient peak current delivery. Will get it replaced & hear how it sounds after that. Now back to R3 Pro!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,083 of 2,070
Both the nano and the xdsd sounded warmer than both r3 pros to me. So you might be right about the bass.

Just a hint of warmth is how we like it, but nothing crazy :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,085 of 2,070
Does anyone here own both the DX160 and Saber (or vanilla Pro) and willing to compare the two? I'm more interested in a Saber and DX160 comparison since I already own the Saber and am currently interested in the DX160 (mainly to stream Spotify and I Heart Radio apps)...

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,086 of 2,070
I like me some warmth now and then :) I'm intrigued by the upcoming cayin n3 pro with tubes and SS. R3 saber is quickly becoming a favorite though.
After spending few years with FiiO 10, and later, FiiO 10k as my PC's sound output, it's like taking a sauna at full steam compared to R3 Pro's lukewarm soapy bath! :)

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,087 of 2,070
Can someone do a quick summary of the sound difference between vanilla and saber?

Saber is more neutral/analytical and vanilla has more warmth?

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,088 of 2,070
Can someone do a quick summary of the sound difference between vanilla and saber?

Saber is more neutral/analytical and vanilla has more warmth?

Not to my ears, I wouldn't call either analytical. The vanilla's a more upfront sound and sounds a touch more neutral to me. The saber has better seperation and dynamics. It is livelier, and has stronger sub bass and better developed treble imo. Mids aren't as up-front on the saber.

It's like the vanilla presents things upfront and solid, while the saber has more depth and has that surround sound kind of thing going on. Both sound great, I like the presentation of the saber better myself.

I mean the saber might be a touch more analytical in It's presentation, but it's not dry or neutral to me. I’m still not sure after all these years if I've ever heard anything 'analytical'. I honestly don't know how to quantify that term requarding audio if I'm honest.

Same way with 'micro' details- to my ears I just hear certain accents on the overall presentation. I can tell you they both make it easy to pick out things in a good recording, the saber especially. No muddyness anywhere.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,090 of 2,070
So I have had my R3pro saber for a little while now and its a great little device. I have run into a slight issue however where the player is unable to show songs under the all tab that are in another language (like russian, korean or japanese) The songs still show up under artists and albums but completely mess up my formatting for the all songs tab. Any one else have this problem?

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,091 of 2,070
1. Am looking for a high-end or mid-fi DAP with FM analogue radio. R3 Pro seems to offer only a web radio app that needs an internet connection via WiFi. So, I am just wondering, if a similar free web radio app with links included for hundreds of stations can be downloaded from Google PlayStore? If it can be done, I could choose on any other DAP (Cayiin N3 Pro or HiBy R8) over R3 Pro for my next purchase. Could someone tell me if it can be done?

The hands-down best Android "radio" app is TuneIn. Pretty much if there's a stream available, they'll have it. Virtually every broadcast and web radio station. Don't be distracted by I-Heart, which doesn't hold a cande to TuneIn.

That said, in spite of it having broadcast stations, it is still delivered via internet, so you'll still need active WiFi to listen (tho TuneIn does have a recording feature, so you could record stuff while you're on WiFi to listen to later when you aren't). For actual (free-to-air) FM radio reception, the device would need to have the required hardware. Some DAPs and Phones have it, most don't. If they do have it, it will most certainly come with basic player software to allow you to tune, listen, and memorize local FM frequencies.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,092 of 2,070
I contacted Hiby yesterday to ask if they had plans to come out with an R5 Pro. I was very surprised to see them respond to my email in only about a half hour. This was their response.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest and support for HiBy products. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your HiBy R3 Pro. We currently have no plans for the HiBy R5 Pro model, but we will continue to develop and launch more high-quality devices in the future. Stay tuned.

Best regards,
HiBy Music

I then asked if they had any plans to create a device which will be using the excellent AKM 4497. Once again, they responded in about 15 minutes with this.

Hello,

We have no plans at the moment. However we will forward your suggestions to our engineers for review. Thank you for pointing it out.

Best regards,
HiBy Music

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back